Gomo

Matt Good Covers "Blown Wide Open" by Big Wreck

Warner Music Canada is turning 50! In celebration I’ve covered Big Wreck's “Blown Wide Open” on the new compilation EP ‘Covered In Gold 5.0 - http://bit.ly/MGbwo

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/covered-in-gold-5-0-side-a/id1265230769?app=itunes&ign-mpt=uo%3D4

--- -------------------

Wow I've always loved this song. This is such a great suprise.

...except it's not available in the US iTunes store and I'm not sure how to download it  :( ... The Google Play link is also not working for me. Anybody have any insight into this for international fans?

Edited by Gomo

Cool thanks. I don't use any of those other streaming services, so I'll use this until I can figure out a way to download it legit in the US.

If you ever have the chance - I grab iTunes gift cards when I'm up in Canada.  Apple doesn't seem to mind about country restrictions as long as you have an actual Canadian address on your account.  (It has to be a separate account from your US one.  I use a hotel for the address.)  It's helped for the MG tracks that haven't ended up in the US store.

Edited by uglyredhonda

Beautiful song. I love Big Wreck. I hope he performs that song on the 31st. It would be the perfect ending to the summer.

Thanks for the link. I just bought it. The digital version sounds really good.

At the 4:14 mark, nice job, Stu! I can just picture myself listening to that part in the sunset overlooking the Okanagan Lake.

Edited by girl

Well this is a surprise to me.  Not just a random song release but the choice of cover.  I would never have expected Matthew Good to cover Blown Wide Open or necessarily anything by Big Wreck.  I don't recall him ever commenting on the band or anything.  Awesome choice though.  It's odd hearing such a different voice do this song but it sounds very nice.  Very nice singing.

Edited by Manchalivin

Well this is a surprise to me.  Not just a random song release but the choice of cover.  I would never have expected Matthew Good to cover Blown Wide Open or necessarily anything by Big Wreck.  I don't recall him ever commenting on the band or anything.  Awesome choice though.  It's odd hearing such a different voice do this song but it sounds very nice.  Very nice singing.

They go back, especially considering they were both huge parts of the 90s Canadian rock revival scene (think they played at Edgefest a couple years in a row). I'm not sure if there's any written record of Matt praising Ian, but I heard last year (or maybe it was 2 years ago) that when they were playing the same bill Matt praised them onstage for being an incredible band. 

I'm fucking stoked Matt has covered this. It's one of my favorite songs of all time being covered by my favorite artist. Can't wait to listen to it when I get home. 

Guest Idioteque

Beautiful Midnight & Audio of Being including some solo records are still under Universal if im not mistaken.

I'm sure there's no ill feelings between Matt & Universal if they let him perform on this. So it wouldn't be shocking if someone got to do a cover.

Agreed that there wouldn't be hard feelings but the entire purpose of that Cd is to celebrate and promote Warner Brothers and their fifty years of recording history in Canada. Itd be a little odd if one of the best examples they used to demonstrate their company and their success in Canada would be to issue a cover from a band who never recorded for them and pay royalties to Universal. Itd be like the Vancouver Canucks promoting a Sidney Crosby autograph signing while their own players are standing in the shadows

Edited by adam_777

To anyone who hasn't listened to it yet, be forewarned...it's extremely different from the original. It's very soft and light. Whether that's a good a bad thing is obviously up to the listener.

I've always respected Matt for being willing to make bold choices when it comes to artistic vision and I will credit him for that here again. It's not at all what I think BW or MG fans would expect for a cover, and I will admit his vocals are beautiful. Other than that though, as both a fan of Big Wreck and Matt, to be honest this was definitely not my cup of tea.

Guest Idioteque

Oh! Idk why I didn't register on the "Warner" part I thought you meant it's for Universal artists.

Dumb moment of the day, apologies.

To anyone who hasn't listened to it yet, be forewarned...it's extremely different from the original. It's very soft and light. Whether that's a good a bad thing is obviously up to the listener.

I've always respected Matt for being willing to make bold choices when it comes to artistic vision and I will credit him for that here again. It's not at all what I think BW or MG fans would expect for a cover, and I will admit his vocals are beautiful. Other than that though, as both a fan of Big Wreck and Matt, to be honest this was definitely not my cup of tea.

Yeah it's definitely an adjustment to hear when you know the original but I think it may grow on you.  To me the lyrics come across stronger in this version with it being quieter and Matt's singing which sounds so sincere.

Yeah it's definitely an adjustment to hear when you know the original but I think it may grow on you. To me the lyrics come across stronger in this version with it being quieter and Matt's singing which sounds so sincere.

Fair point. I'll concede that the bridge section with Stu's guitar work is a highlight too. Maybe I'll eventually develop the courage to throw it on again. It's possible my negative reaction was simply because I was expecting it to be closer to the original and, for the most part, it took on a very different vibe sonically and feeling wise. I know some of my favourite songs from Matt and different artists are the ones I initially didn't like as much to begin with so it's not impossible my opinion could change. I originally didn't like Ghosts by Big Wreck and now it's one of my favourite songs from them.

That said, we'll see. Even as I was listening to it I remember thinking to myself that if it were a new MG song with different lyrics, and not a cover, I still would really dislike it. Either way though, I think you're right that it might not be a bad idea to give it a few more listens and see if my feelings change. Hopefully my opinion will go from "sacrilege" to "I don't hate it" to "not bad", lol.

I'm glad other people seem to like it though. And Matt, not that I think my opinions are important, but if u read this, please don't let one person's negative reaction drag u down. I'm just an over opinionated mouth who can't keep his opinions to himself most of the time. I "love" both of the new songs from the album (and the other clips u posted on Instagram) and am really, really looking forwards to its release (more so than even Christmas, haha). Your music means a lot to my life and just because there are a few songs every once in a while that I'm not a fan of doesn't mean I'm not a huge fan of the majority of your work.

Edited by daniel_v

Fan-freaking-tastic!

For anyone discussing the differences between this cover and the original I suggest checking out Ian Thornley's cover on his solo album (Secrets) from last year...Matt's take on this is makes a ton of sense when you hear Ian's own take, which is incredibly stripped down as well.

I personally don't see the point in doing 'faithful-to-the-album' covers; and I could come up with a long list of covers that are drastically different that I actually feel serve the song better, but that's a discussion for a different day.

I think Matt nails this and I would be very interested in a full-on covers record from him.

Guest Idioteque

I find copy & paste covers boring, if I want to hear the original then that's exactly what I will listen to. An artist should interpret the track to become their own music.

Matt turned a Big Wreck track into a Matthew Good track, 10/10. I wouldn't desire to hear it live but I like that it exists.

I find copy & paste covers boring, if I want to hear the original then that's exactly what I will listen to. An artist should interpret the track to become their own music.

Normally I would agree. I'm not a fan of covers that reproduce songs down to every last note either. However, if I've heard a song before I do like there to be "some" semblance to the original and I think what threw me off when I first listened to it was- because BWO is such an intensely driven song from an instrumental perspective- I wasn't expecting the main emphasis to be placed on the vocal melody to carry the song in such a relaxed and calming way.

All that said, Machalivin was right. The song does grow on u. I've listened to it many times on repeat now and even used it as a way to fall asleep. It really is a beautiful cover given the way Matt and the band structured eveything. I just had to abandon any expectations I had for the song before I could enjoy it.

Matt turned a Big Wreck track into a Matthew Good track, 10/10. I wouldn't desire to hear it live but I like that it exists.

I have a copy of a punk cover of "Walk Like An Egyptian" kicking around still.  I have no idea who the artist is, but it's amazing.

I was also watching the Disney movie Brave last night.  Over the end credits, there was a cover of a Mumford and Sons song sung by a woman that was fantastic.  It's a bummer that you can't get it on iTunes.

I don't mind covers that are similar, but Matt's interpretation is quite different, and I love it.

I remember when Ian Thornley's solo album came out, and it had Blown Wide Open on it, i was like "does this count as a cover?" I guess, to me, it doesn't, as I don't count Matt playing MGB songs as covers. Just a new version by the artist that wants to revisit it like Matt did with the I Miss New Wave EP.

I was also watching the Disney movie Brave last night.  Over the end credits, there was a cover of a Mumford and Sons song sung by a woman that was fantastic.  It's a bummer that you can't get it on iTunes.

It is on the soundtrack, track 3. https://itunes.apple.com/ca/album/learn-me-right/id527775518?i=527775955