Williammunny11

A personal request:

To anyone on this forum (or perhaps even Mr. Good himself), I have a bit of a request.

I have just purchased my first home.  As most of you probably know first hand, this process has become quite the endeavor, and over the course of the past few weeks I have poured some hard-earned blood, sweat and tears into getting this place ready to move my family in.

I tell you all this because it sets up my request.  I want to hang a canvas of the 'Lights' album cover above the fire place.  It is my all-time favorite record, and as an artist and musician myself, Lights has been an amazing source of inspiration over the years.

I have looked into it and it seems that I can get this printed on canvas relatively cheaply, but the problem is I lack a hi-res source of the artwork.

Does anyone have a hi-res copy of the album cover?

Does anyone have a hi-res copy of the album cover minus the words?

Please note that I have no intentions of doing anything with this other than staring at it everytime I walk into my living room for the foreseeable future.  It will never be sold.  But, if this is in any way not-kosher (for any reason) please let me know...while my intentions here are good I don't want to jam anyone up on account of copyright.  

And to Matt:  If this art is attached to specific artist I would happily pay for the rights to re-print it for my personal use.

Thank-you to everyone and anyone who reads this in advance!

James

Guest Idioteque

Cover Artwork is listed as Miriam Aroeste, she has similar artwork on her website. If you message her she might have some sort of hi-res file of the original piece.

I also remember lithographs of the album cover being sold, you might be able to find those online & frame it.

I am so jealous of that picture!

Ok...so I reached out to the artist but to no avail.  I suppose what I am left with is taking a hi-res photo of my LP cover and using that.

Does anyone know anything about copyright?  Who do I need to get permission from?  Or if it is only hanging in my home, do I even need to??

Only if you're selling it, which you aren't. 

That's not entirely true. The company that does the canvas printing technically needs permission from the rights holder, and may refuse to print it without it. (They're technically making money producing a product that uses the artwork.)

If you can find a place that doesn't ask...

Btw: hi-res photo of the LP isn't going to be great. You'd be better off finding somebody with a scanner.

Guest Idioteque

Odd, I could see a company being a pain if you wanted 20-100 printed, but one? I bet they'd let it slide. i agree with Chris to just scan it.

It would probably be better if you just frame the record sleeve itself, and just put the vinyl in a different case so not to get warped from the heat of the fireplace.

Odd, I could see a company being a pain if you wanted 20-100 printed, but one? I bet they'd let it slide. i agree with Chris to just scan it.

It would probably be better if you just frame the record sleeve itself, and just put the vinyl in a different case so not to get warped from the heat of the fireplace.

Some places are sticklers about that, and this is a piece that would be an obvious copyrighted work.  Having said that, I'm old enough to remember the days when Kinko's made you sign a waiver before making a color copy of something.  :lol:

I looked at the artist's website and saw a lot of pieces for sale, but not necessarily the one on the LOES album cover. I wonder why prints of that one would not be available for purchase but many others would be.

Universal (or Matt) might have bought the painting outright, or at least the full reproduction rights.  (It might have also been a commissioned piece.)  That would seem like a smart move for labels in general - that way, you don't see "bootleg" (legal) merch of an album cover hanging around.

Edited by uglyredhonda

Guest Idioteque

Has anyone else noticed the wave of bootlegged merchandise on facebook? Ads for pages with photo-shopped logos on blank t-shirts. Bands, movies/tv shows & everything in between. Sites like Teepublic shouldn't exist if "Each purchase supports an independent artist." is your motto but even I can take every MG album cover, slap it on hoodies and keep the profits. There's people who just take individual pages of a comic book and put it on shirts, it's crazy. 

Some places are sticklers about that, and this is a piece that would be an obvious copyrighted work.  Having said that, I'm old enough to remember the days when Kinko's made you sign a waiver before making a color copy of something.  :lol:

Universal (or Matt) might have bought the painting outright, or at least the full reproduction rights.  (It might have also been a commissioned piece.)  That would seem like a smart move for labels in general - that way, you don't see "bootleg" (legal) merch of an album cover hanging around.

Good point. Thanks!

Has anyone else noticed the wave of bootlegged merchandise on facebook? Ads for pages with photo-shopped logos on blank t-shirts. Bands, movies/tv shows & everything in between. Sites like Teepublic shouldn't exist if "Each purchase supports an independent artist." is your motto but even I can take every MG album cover, slap it on hoodies and keep the profits. There's people who just take individual pages of a comic book and put it on shirts, it's crazy. 

I don't see any of that stuff because I use uBlock Origin. I also browse with Opera, (which is amazing btw.)