hoogie

Best of Last

Don't think anyone has talked about this, but there was a pretty interesting post from Matt or his people at the beginning of the week.

http://www.matthewgood.org/best-of-last

INSTRUCTIONS

Using whatever platform or service you like, place the following songs in the following order. Enjoy. 

1. COLD WATER 
  2. TIGER BY THE TAIL
  3. LOS ALAMOS 
  4. HARRIDAN 
  5. NON POPULUS
  6. SET ME ON FIRE
  7. A LONG WAY DOWN
  8. VOLCANOES 
  9. ON NIGHTS LIKE TONIGHT
  10. IT'S BEEN A WHILE SINCE I WAS YOUR MAN
  11. ODETTE
  12. FLIGHT RECORDER FROM VIKING 7
  13. THE FINE ART OF FALLING APART
  14. HOUSE OF SMOKE AND MIRRORS 

Pretty solid list if you ask me.  I'm curious if this is from Matt himself.

I'd wager it's just a playlist Matt's made for us. Just about all of these songs are from the last half of the albums they appeared on, with a few appearing around the middle of the albums but most towards the end.  So "last" might refer to "last half of albums" or "last songs".  Matt's said he's been listening through his catalogue lately, so "Best of last" may just mean these are his favorites of latter songs from his albums after listening through the catalogue.

They might also be some of the obscure songs he's considering throwing into the setlist mix for the upcoming tour, who knows.

I'd wager it's just a playlist Matt's made for us. Just about all of these songs are from the last half of the albums they appeared on, with a few appearing around the middle of the albums but most towards the end.  So "last" might refer to "last half of albums" or "last songs".  Matt's said he's been listening through his catalogue lately, so "Best of last" may just mean these are his favorites of latter songs from his albums after listening through the catalogue.

They might also be some of the obscure songs he's considering throwing into the setlist mix for the upcoming tour, who knows.

I agree with your theory.  Might be songs he's taken a liking to since listening through all of his stuff.  I'd definitely like to hear Fine Art live, for what it's worth.

It was definitely made by him. He originally posted the title for Cold Water as "Cold Harbour" and then corrected it in the comments, saying "my bad". As to the reason, I was thinking they're songs he's especially proud of, but they also fit together tonally. With some exceptions, they're all slow jams with long runtimes. I actually put together the playlist in this order and they do very much go together sonically...like a really long, jazzy, sleepy, montage of awesome ...

Alternate take, maybe they were the last batch of songs written for each of the albums?

Trying to find themes in the songs leads me to lots of speculation, but it was a much needed listen during a busy time at work for me.

As far as the picks off CN and LOES go, I've always considered them the highlights of those records that stand the test of time, so I'm not surprised to see them there. Same with the Vancouver tracks too. Odette and Its Been a While throw me off though, because though they're great songs, there are some other really heavy standouts from their respective records too.

I'm enjoying listening to this playlist though so far. God, Harridan is so good, especially the 2nd half right after the verses.

Guest Idioteque

Harridan is one of his best structured songs hands down, it's up there with Hey Heaven Hell & Mutineering for me. Matt seriously needs to give Arrows of Desires another listen, it's pure gold. 

whew, that was tough near the top: 

• THE FINE ART OF FALLING APART
    • HOUSE OF SMOKE AND MIRRORS
    • LOS ALAMOS 
    • A LONG WAY DOWN
    • SET ME ON FIRE
    • NON POPULUS
    • HARRIDAN 
    • FLIGHT RECORDER FROM VIKING 7
    • ON NIGHTS LIKE TONIGHT
    • VOLCANOES 
    • COLD WATER 
    • TIGER BY THE TAIL
    • IT'S BEEN A WHILE SINCE I WAS YOUR MAN
    • ODETTE

I guess I'm more partial to the older stuff...

1. THE FINE ART OF FALLING APART

2. HOUSE OF SMOKE AND MIRRORS 

3. SET ME ON FIRE

4. FLIGHT RECORDER FROM VIKING 7

5. A LONG WAY DOWN

6. IT'S BEEN A WHILE SINCE I WAS YOUR MAN

7. LOS ALAMOS 

8. COLD WATER 

9. ODETTE

10. ON NIGHTS LIKE TONIGHT

11. HARRIDAN 

12. TIGER BY THE TAIL

13. NON POPULUS

14. VOLCANOES

What a great collection of songs and they fit together quite nicely. Songs I haven't heard in a while that stood out are On Nights Like Tonight, Volcanoes, Flight Recorder From Viking 7 and House of Smoke and Mirrors. The latter is a fantastically beautiful sounding song.

Could be a playlist of songs inspired by his "muse" that he mentioned on Instagram. Then again, he mentioned that most or all of his songs were sung to this one person, so I could be way off. It could just be that they all flow well together.

Edit: Having listened to the Best of Last playlist, it does in fact flow very well together, and not just musically. I feel like it tells a story, and I may have been right. I won't analyze it too much, but I feel like the fact that the last line of On Nights Like Tonight "...I'll find a way to get to you" is followed by It's Been A While Since I Was Your Man isn't a coincidence. A lot of it flows well like that.

Again, I could be wrong on this, and maybe I should just enjoy the songs. After all, it's not really any of my business.

Edited by Devil On Rollerskates