Moonlight_Graham

Bullets In A Briefcase

Matt teased this song on Instagram a while ago (I think since been removed) and then posted the lyrics for us on The Bored.  I just read through the lyrics again and my best guess is that this song is about the recent refugee crisis in the middle-east/Europe.  Consider the first verse:

"Little fish, boat's too full, down you go
Breathing in salt and fuel, tiny gulps
Statistically it's commonplace
You're not alone
So end like this instead of shot back at home"

This seems to refer to the death of Alan Kurdi, the young Syrian boy found drowned on a beach after his family tried to flee to Greece & whose picture we all remember:

In the early hours of 2 September 2015, Kurdi and his family boarded a small plastic or rubber inflatable boat, which capsized about five minutes after leaving Bodrum in Turkey. Sixteen people were in the boat, which was designed for a maximum of eight people. They were trying to reach the Greek island of Kos.

Then the 2nd verse:

"Little man, Northern France, winter's cold
800 hours, 4,000 miles, feet alone
no one I know would even dare it
Let alone for a shanty town
Bleeding out in the shadows"

Seems to refer to the child refugees from places like Afghanistan & Iraq who traveled across continents to terrible shanty camps in northern French towns like Calais & Dunkirk (ironically). More info:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/toddlers-babies-northern-france-sleeping-rough-calais-migrants-europe-eu-borders-a7824816.html

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/02/27/europes-child-refugee-crisis

Matt teased this song on Instagram a while ago (I think since been removed) and then posted the lyrics for us on The Bored.  I just read through the lyrics again and my best guess is that this song is about the recent refugee crisis in the middle-east/Europe.  Consider the first verse:

"Little fish, boat's too full, down you go

Breathing in salt and fuel, tiny gulps

Statistically it's commonplace

You're not alone

So end like this instead of shot back at home"

This seems to refer to the death of Alan Kurdi, the young Syrian boy found drowned on a beach after his family tried to flee to Greece & whose picture we all remember:

Then the 2nd verse:

"Little man, Northern France, winter's cold

800 hours, 4,000 miles, feet alone

no one I know would even dare it

Let alone for a shanty town

Bleeding out in the shadows"

Seems to refer to the child refugees from places like Afghanistan & Iraq who traveled across continents to terrible shanty camps in northern French towns like Calais & Dunkirk (ironically). More info:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/toddlers-babies-northern-france-sleeping-rough-calais-migrants-europe-eu-borders-a7824816.html

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/02/27/europes-child-refugee-crisis

A tribute (and I appreciate it coming from him) to all those people who are sadly dying in the Mediterranean sea and in Europe... A European Union who are shamefully unable to find a solution to this humanitarian crisis  :(

First and foremost, I am going to agree with the majority and continue the affection for this song. It is the emotional centre of the records.

When the guitars come in, they remind me of Sigur Ros in the Agaetis Byrjun/ ( ) era. Specifically, the bowed guitar in the song Untitled #4 (Njosnavelin). Anyone else hear that?

First and foremost, I am going to agree with the majority and continue the affection for this song. It is the emotional centre of the records.

When the guitars come in, they remind me of Sigur Ros in the Agaetis Byrjun/ ( ) era. Specifically, the bowed guitar in the song Untitled #4 (Njosnavelin). Anyone else hear that?

I know exactly what you mean.  It does sound like Sigur Ros.  

I can't stop listening to this song!

Great insight into the meaning. This song is amazing and seems destined for a spot on my top 10 list of favourite MG songs. I have a list of 6 in the Favourite MG Song thread, and this looks like it will be number 7. Picking the other 3 will be hard lol.