MatthewGoodFan101

Happy 20th Anniversary Underdogs!

20 years ago today, Matthew Good Band released Underdogs, which still today is one of my favourite albums, not just from Matt, but from any artist. The album went on to sell over 200,000 copies (however, it still hasn't received a Double Platinum certification yet). To celebrate the album, I thought I'd ask all the fans on The Bored what they think about the album. What are your favourite songs from the album? Also, in the chance that Matt reads this, I'd like to ask him what he thinks of this album 20 years later and if he'd ever be willing to play more songs from this album live. I was too young to see MGB perform songs from this album in the 90s so I'd love to hear some songs from this album live.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7epfunGutqnx8y-_8NbOn2sothYCJDvh

Edited by MatthewGoodFan101

FIrst saw the Apparitions video on MuchMusic.  Couldn't find the album at local music stores (live in WI) so used my Mom's credit card to order Underdogs online.  Listened to that CD like everyday.  Changed my life as far as music goes. 

Saw MGB in Grand Rapids, MI in Feb 2001.  Was front row.  They played all the favorites and mainly songs from Beautiful Midnight.  They even did a cover of Enjoy the Silence.  I met the band after show and got pics.  Seemed like a dream.  The sound sucked (so much bass) at the venue but the experience lasted a lifetime.  So thankful to have had this memory/experience.

That video is a trip. I first became a fan of Matt Good around the time of the disbanding of MGB. I was a teen and developing my initial Internet footprint. I was a member of some message board and on that board was a Canadian guy from BC. He turned me onto MGB and after some initial hesitation I became hooked quickly. I would assume most fans outside of Canada found him somehow on the Internet, like me. The first songs I really dug into were Hello Time Bomb, Strange Days, Fearless, and Euphony.

By the time I became more than a casual fan of the band, Audio of Being had either just come out or had already been out for a little while. But the first MG album I anticipated the release of was Avalanche, so that's really where I started following his career in earnest. First saw him live in 2007 at Club Infinity outside Buffalo (10 year anniversary of that acoustic show just passed last week), and by that time his look was vastly different than the video above. So the long-haired young version of Matt Good is like a foreign concept to me. I'm more used to him having short hair and looking older and wiser.

Edited by Gomo

Funny, I actually listened to Underdogs front to back last week for probably the first time in 5 or 6 years.

First song I heard from it was Everything is Automatic. I hated it. Then I heard Indestructible and liked it a bit more and Apparitions I thought was wonderful, but not enough for me to buy the album. It wasn't until Beautiful Midnight that I really hopped on the MGB train. 

Change of Season, Prime Time Deliverance and The Inescapable Us are easily my favorite songs from the album, but it also holds one of, if not my least favorite MGB song (Middle Class Gangsters). I feel like this album was a teaser of what ending up coming - it's a good album that with a few changes could be a very good or even a great album, but for me it isn't quite at the same level as BM/AoB from the band days or HM/LoES from the solo days.

I'm also bummed it was the last full length that Geoff played on - I get why he felt he needed to leave, I get that Matt wanted to go for a certain sound with BM, and looking at BM from a bass player's perspective, I'm not sure Geoff's style would have really fit, but I also can't help but wonder what it would sound like with him on it.

In my opinion, it is only slightly less of a classic than BM, MGB really hit their peak with those 2 albums.  There is a real confidence on Underdogs that was lacking a bit on LOTGA and Raygun.

My history listening to MGB is kind of funny.  I probably first heard Apparitions on Big Shiny Tunes 3, but I was only 8 years old then.  I listened to MGB as young kid (8-10 years old or so), but left it and didn't get back into Matt until I was around 17 (about the same time HM came out).

My favourite tracks on Underdogs are

Apparitions (maybe cliche but still my favourite song ever)

Prime Time Deliverance

Rico (yes I love it and I'm not ashamed)

Deep Six (dare I say maybe Matt's best opener ever)

My Out of Style is Coming Back

Look Happy, It's the End of the World

Invasion 1

I started listening to MGB in the period between Underdogs and Beautiful Midnight. I can clearly recall the first time I heard Apparitions on the radio and it completely turned me on to music in a way that changed my life.

As a 15 year old it opened my eyes and ears to what was going on in the world of Canadian rock in the late nineties. That affinity for Canadian music and the artists who create it has stayed with me to this day, nearly 20 years later.

The deeper album tracks on Underdogs are so fantastic; Invasion 1, Look Happy it's the End of the World, Strangest One of All, Change of Season. Apparitions has been my favourite song since I heard it.

I know the history of hating on Rico but Indestructible is the weak link for me.

Funny, I actually listened to Underdogs front to back last week for probably the first time in 5 or 6 years.

First song I heard from it was Everything is Automatic. I hated it. Then I heard Indestructible and liked it a bit more and Apparitions I thought was wonderful, but not enough for me to buy the album. It wasn't until Beautiful Midnight that I really hopped on the MGB train. 

Change of Season, Prime Time Deliverance and The Inescapable Us are easily my favorite songs from the album, but it also holds one of, if not my least favorite MGB song (Middle Class Gangsters). I feel like this album was a teaser of what ending up coming - it's a good album that with a few changes could be a very good or even a great album, but for me it isn't quite at the same level as BM/AoB from the band days or HM/LoES from the solo days.

I'm also bummed it was the last full length that Geoff played on - I get why he felt he needed to leave, I get that Matt wanted to go for a certain sound with BM, and looking at BM from a bass player's perspective, I'm not sure Geoff's style would have really fit, but I also can't help but wonder what it would sound like with him on it.

Very much agree with this post! Initially I wasn't a fan of Automatic, and it was Indestructible that became an earworm for me and forced me to buy the album . And when the Apparitions video debuted on Much....wow - just wow. Front to back it's a wonderful album with some real hidden gems. Sometimes I'll listen to Underdogs and LOTGA and I'll focus in solely on Geoff's riffs...the bass in the latter half of The War Is Over and the intro to Indestructible are amongst my favourites.

Very much agree with this post! Initially I wasn't a fan of Automatic, and it was Indestructible that became an earworm for me and forced me to buy the album . And when the Apparitions video debuted on Much....wow - just wow. Front to back it's a wonderful album with some real hidden gems. Sometimes I'll listen to Underdogs and LOTGA and I'll focus in solely on Geoff's riffs...the bass in the latter half of The War Is Over and the intro to Indestructible are amongst my favourites.

agreed, the bass riffs on LOTGA are fantastic. I've though about buying a bass for the sole purpose of trying to play songs off this album.

20 yrs man I feel old LOL.  Like most people Everything Is Automatic & Indestructible were decent songs but I decided to buy Underdogs after hearing Apparitions on MuchMusic.  I remember buying the CD at Blockbuster video of all places.

Was a good CD I thought, I remember especially liking Inescapable Us (amazing vocals) and My Out of Style Is Coming Back.  I then borrowed LOTGA from a friend and loved that album even more (still one of my fav all-time albums) and have been a diehard fan every since.

I get envious watching old performances like this, it would be like seeing Nirvana live during Nevermind. Has anyone in the forums seen MGB during the 90's? I'd love to see a poll for that. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7i-XjsGrK4M 

It's interesting watching them play Apparitions in this video because MG uses an electric guitar.  I remember seeing him at Edge Fest 2001 where he played it with an electric... it's been acoustic ever since as far as I can remember.

As for Underdogs, what an amazing album.  Prime Time Deliverance is still one of my favorite songs.  Can't believe it's been 20 years already.

Time to share my Underdogs story.  This album started it all for me.  When I saw the video for Everything is Automatic on MuchMusic I recorded it to VHS and watched it over and over.  I showed the video to my friend and we became MGB fans for life that day. 

It wasn't until January or February 1998 when I bought the CD and I listened to it on repeat while on a family vacation.  To me the album was unlike anything I had heard before and stands as my favorite MG/B album over the years because of that imprint it left on me.  I have enjoyed hearing MG's music evolve over the years but when Deep Six starts with that loud and aggressive electric guitar I go in to my happy place. 

...Has anyone in the forums seen MGB during the 90's? I'd love to see a poll for that.  

Checked my ticket stubs to confirm, there would have been one more but it was an 18+ show and was too young :(.

July 8, 1998 - Edgefest (MGB was on the side stage, they played My Out of Style is Coming Back and the only time I saw Geoff play)

July 11, 1999 - Edgefest (MGB was on the main stage, Giant and Time Bomb were played from Beautiful Midnight)

August 17, 1999 - Pepsi Taste Tour (exclusive win to get in concert where nearly half of Beautiful Midnight was played, before 2017 this was the only time I heard I Miss New Wave, full band signed the ticket stub and guitar pick from MG)

December 5, 1999 - On tour with Moist, same show that PlasticSoldier was at above :) (ticket stub signed by Dave)

Edited by gursky

August 17, 1999 - Pepsi Taste Tour (exclusive win to get in concert where nearly half of Beautiful Midnight was played, before 2017 this was the only time I heard I Miss New Wave, full band signed the ticket stub and guitar pick from MG)

That had to be so cool gursky. Didn't even know they played I miss new wave live before this current year.

Edited by Stwlegend