RileyLewis

Tour: 2018

From the sounds of it, we will probably be seeing Matt on tour sometime in early 2018. I am quite excited, especially to hear the new songs.

However, I've heard it being discussed that he may plan to play fewer new songs on the tour, and instead pull a few deeper cuts out from retirement. Is there basis to this discussion? While I would love to hear some deep cuts, I also want to hear this new album in as close to its entirety as possible.

People who live on the end of a tour get to hear some cool stuff, but those of us in the great middle (AB/SK/MB) usually have less song selection, and we often can't visit more than one show due to the distances involved. If I lived in Vancouver or Toronto I would be getting tickets to at least two shows, but living in Regina means I usually have to travel at least 2.5 hours (Saskatoon) for a show, and often 5 (Winnipeg) or 8 (Edmonton). Don't get me wrong, I am grateful that Matt is still making amazing music and is touring regularly, but I am conflicted on how much old vs. new stuff I want to hear!

Personally, I hope he plays most of the new album on this tour, as it's just amazing stuff. I can't wait to hear Something Like a Storm, Bad Guys Win, and Bullets live.

I would also gladly pay $150 (or whatever) to see a 4-hour show like he says he would like to do if the market could support it. I love double-set shows. 

Edited by RileyLewis

I'm definitely anxious to learn the tour dates and am hoping to catch more than one show this time around now that I live closer.

As far as what is llayed, I wouldn't mind hearing some of the deeper cuts over new songs. Another option though would be to play a lot of new album stuff but replace the songs that always get played - apparitions, born losers, load me up etc. I've seen all of those multiple times by now and would happily forego them to hear an old song played live for the first time.

The BM tour was perfection for me, hearing some of those well loved songs live for the first time ever. There's something really special about that experience.

He's been working in some more rare songs on each tour, so I'm hoping he would continue to do the same.

Matt has said many times that they're restricted when it comes to working in older stuff, since they have a limited time to rehearse with the whole band.  

An acoustic tour would be fantastic again.  It's been a while.

But Apparitions never gets skipped. We might not want to hear it but the more casual fans do. Plus it must be exhausting to play two hours and maybe it feels like a bit of a break since it's so ingrained it's like brushing your teeth. Just a rest in a way. I don't know, I'm kinda just rambling a bit. All I know is I mentioned it to Matt once and he said he felt like he would be lynched if he didn't play it every show. I think most of us can agree that those older popular singles get the loudest cheers. Plus everyone knows all the words and I think Matt likes it when people sing along.

I think we have to rely on acoustic shows for the deeper cuts given the logistics and expense of rehearsals, etc. but I would be pleased to be wrong.

I'm thinking we'll hear at least six of the SLAS tracks per show. If not eight. Just a gut feeling I have.

I agree that he's probably never going to skip Apparitions and I do also remember him saying the lynching thing ... but when it comes to some of the hits, especially Hello Time Bomb, I actually get the opposite feeling from the way he performs it. About ten years ago he started letting the fans sing some of the choruses, and my perception is the song bores him at this point. He gets energy from performing, there's no doubt about that - just during that song, maybe not so much!

Just my opinion though ...

Guest Idioteque

I haven't really felt alot of "energy" from him playing Hello Time Bomb in years ever since he stopped screaming "solid gold".

At this point in his career Matt could get away with pushing MGB tracks into a mini-encore medley, slam out a verse & chorus for each song.

As much as I love MGB tunes with the amount of post-MGB songs I'd be okay with them making an encore appearance or like a double encore type deal. first one is mgb songs, followed by some rarely played solo material. It'd probably be shocking after some shows to realize you didn't here some but it's a large catalogue!

That's about the only thing I found annoying with a bunch of the crowd when I saw Jimmy Eat World, SOOOOO many people were just there for the hits and that's all they wanted. Screw the new album they are promoting!

I haven't really felt alot of "energy" from him playing Hello Time Bomb in years ever since he stopped screaming "solid gold".

At this point in his career Matt could get away with pushing MGB tracks into a mini-encore medley, slam out a verse & chorus for each song.

No,  Matthew Good is not Weezer.  One of the biggest complaints on the weezer boards is how they put 4-5 songs together for a medley.  I will say if he did it once or twice it would be cool and different. If he did it every show it would be a stretch.  I am with the no need to hear HTB and Load me up every show group too

I agree with what's been said here. If he decided to get rid of some MGB stuff I don't think a lot of people who attend his concerts would complain. There'd obviously be complaints, but he's got plenty of solid solo stuff to make a perfect live show without playing one pre-2002 single (and that's been true for years as far as I'm concerned)

I agree with what's been said here. If he decided to get rid of some MGB stuff I don't think a lot of people who attend his concerts would complain. There'd obviously be complaints, but he's got plenty of solid solo stuff to make a perfect live show without playing one pre-2002 single (and that's been true for years as far as I'm concerned)

I've gotta agree.  I think his contribution post MGB is way stronger.

I also agree. We could get all post-MGB shows and it would be heaven. I've heard HTB and LMU and Apparitions enough times at this point that a little more Avalanche/Blue Skies/Non Populus/Garden of Knives/Harridan/Cold Water/Bullets in a Briefcase action would be a welcome change. Legit, we get one of those songs in rotation and it makes up for both of the other ones being cut in spades.

Speaking of complaints and their inevitability ... random memory ... Nothing to Hide Tour 2007 in Hamilton, just as he comes on stage this girl in front of us angrily queries whether it was " an acoustic show?!" and proceeds to read her ticket, which says MATTHEW GOOD SOLO ACOUSTIC on it. She decides to get drunk as possible and spends the second half screaming out "Apparitions" in between songs. Like, shit, he's gonna play Apparitions. Shaddap. 

Speaking of complaints and their inevitability ... random memory ... Nothing to Hide Tour 2007 in Hamilton, just as he comes on stage this girl in front of us angrily queries whether it was " an acoustic show?!" and proceeds to read her ticket, which says MATTHEW GOOD SOLO ACOUSTIC on it. She decides to get drunk as possible and spends the second half screaming out "Apparitions" in between songs. Like, shit, he's gonna play Apparitions. Shaddap. 

Hahaha, that sounds terrible.  

I concur as well.  I would easily swap another four solo-releases for the 4 MGB albums...I might be in the minority there, but to me Matt really came into his own (and thus became the artist that I gravitated towards) with Avalanche.  

8 more albums in the vein of Audio of Being might not have sustained my interested the way his solo career has.

I've noticed that he never does a full summer tour, or even a spring tour. His tours have always tended to land in fall/winter, which is tough for traveling with the weather especially from the US. But I would also understand he probably likes to have summers off, save for a few one off shows.

Guest Idioteque

I imagine the summer is going to be opening up to many musicians now that The Tragically Hip are done, our Country barely has huge headliners at this point. Festivals are going to start looking gloomy. 

I've noticed that he never does a full summer tour, or even a spring tour. His tours have always tended to land in fall/winter, which is tough for traveling with the weather especially from the US. But I would also understand he probably likes to have summers off, save for a few one off shows.

It's funny, I always associate the fall with MG.  There's usually a new album and tour, so his music triggers the feeling of fall for me.

I definitely associate certain bands or albums with seasons. I don't associate Matt Good with any particular time of year though. Actually there was one summer when I was 14 or 15 years old where I spun Beautiful Midnight cd CONSTANTLY so I kinda associate that album with summer I guess. But in general MG is not an artist I associate with seasons.

I do associate Ryan Adams with fall. It's like as soon as the weather cools off his music just fuckin strikes a chord with me like no other time. Probabably cause I played the shit out of Heartbreaker after a girl dumped me in October 2007. I also associate Jar of Flies by Alice in Chains with fall, just because of having tended to listen to it in the month of November.

I don't know where I'm going with this post. hah.