RileyLewis

Tour: 2018

after looking at the merch on the mg official site I got to thinking.  The shirts don't really encompass anything about the new album or really the Matthew we know and love.  I do love the OK shirt and what it stands for however the other t's not so much.

I do however have some ideas for the fall tour and would love opinions.

A shirt with pics of Matt throughout the years on the front  with the word "decades" on the back and the number 18.  I think this could be a hot seller.

Another   a shirt with pics of men standing at a door.   Men at the Door.  Simple yes  but it also has to do with a song from the current album.

Another idea   a comic style shirt  with pics of a redheaded girl, fireworks, and said girl screaming.  The back of the shirt would say "this is night"

Another idea   a shirt with pics of numerous villians on the front. They would be small with a bigger pic of Matt in the center.  The shirt would say "bad guys win"

These are ideas I cooked up in 2-3 minutes  but think they would make for great merch and make MG some cash.  Thoughts?

These are all great ideas, but I did want to mention that the green shirt with the MG on rondelle is very reminiscent of the RCAF shirts from the WLRRR tour. Sort of a subtle allusion, but I did notice that.

This is in really bad order but here's what he played night 2 of winnipeg.

Giant

Something Like a Storm

Strange Days

Born Losers

Men at The Door

Advertising on Police Cars

Load Me Up

Alert Status Red

Apparitions. 

He had a lot of great banter, definately a lot more than he's done the last couple time's he's been here. After a couple people requested to play indestructable, he mentioned he hasn't really played it since Geoff passed away. As Geoff was the one to write the signature bass line of the song and it didn't feel right to play it. 

Super strange not to hear weapon but as I've heard it live a dozen times that was fine. Anyone who hasn't gone yet, this is an Our Lady Peace concert that happens to feature Matthew Good. Wish they would of cut the opening act and gave Matt more time. 

Tonight's show in Calgary was great, especially considering how Matt was feeling. He did not look like he was doing well during sound check (lack of sleep and the infection he has playing a role in that I believe). He couldn't have gotten more than an hour and half of a nap between soundcheck and the concert, but hot damn, him and the band not only powered though but put on a strong show. He sang some much higher points during SLAS than he does on the album and it was a pleasure to see the energy everyone put into the show.

OLP was fantastic as well. Raine even dedicated In Repair to Matt and discussed the stigma surrounding mental illness. Over all it was a damned pleasure to be around to watch. Great concert. 

God I had a great time at the Calgary show. As daniel_v mentioned, there were certainly some health concerns leading up to it. All things considered I was blown away. SLAS was first and he went hard... it was incredible. I was hoping for Bad Guys Win and Decades, but will have to cross my fingers for Edmonton. I won't complain though... Machine Gun, Something Like a Storm, and Bullets in a Briefcase were top notch.

OLP impressed me a lot more than I expected. The guitarist and bassist have outstanding voices. Their backup vocals at the tail end of Is Anybody Home were outstanding. 

The Hello Time Bomb encore is up there with my favourite concert experiences of all time. 90s me would be quite jealous of 2018 me in that moment. 

My wife was away on work and missed the show, so we also bought tickets to Edmonton for Monday so she could go. I was mostly just doing it for her and it was a good excuse to go on a romantic date in Edmonton (*shudder*), but now I simply can't wait. 

After a couple people requested to play Indestructible, he mentioned he hasn't really played it since Geoff passed away. As Geoff was the one to write the signature bass line of the song and it didn't feel right to play it. 

He actually responded to people in the audience requesting songs? In my experience of attending Matt's shows he's just ignored them. Nice to see him explain why he doesn't play Indestructible. That explanation makes sense, but I think he doesn't want to play it for the same reason he doesn't wanna play Rico, because he thinks it's a bad song.

This OLP and Matthew Good tour across Canada was the highlight of my year so far. I thoroughly enjoyed both concerts. Both soundchecks were a treat as well. I noticed a few things at the soundcheck:

I saw Raine riding around on his Onewheel, a motorized skateboard, with his sunglasses on at Matt’s soundcheck a few times. Those things are very cool and glide so smoothly, that you almost don’t notice them pass by you. It had little flashing lights on the back and everything. I saw a video clip on Duncan Coutt’s Instagram of the skateboards in action: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bbkl-8vHW3Q/?hl=en&taken-by=duncancoutts

Matt, the guy who works backstage, was blowing kisses towards us at one point during OLP’s soundcheck. I’m not entirely sure who that was directed towards or what that was about. Maybe it was for the guys at the sound board. haha

I had a chance to talk to Peter Fusco after the soundcheck. He was a nice guy and very friendly.

OLP took the time to make small talk with each individual who had their picture taken with them. They asked every person what his/her name was and the band signed everyone’s lanyard. It was nice to be able to capture that moment.

The guy who shouted Rico at Matt’s soundcheck was the same guy who did it at Matt’s concert. I was sitting behind him at the concert.

What I took away from soundcheck is that both bands care about their fans. It was refreshing to see.

So i upgraded to the VIP for MG, couldn't quite swing the cash for OLP as well because of some other recent ebay purchases that I am very happy with. Yay tax refunds!

BUT i did win into the Sonic102.9 (radio station)'s Sonic Session (acoustic/intimate set) of OLP on Tuesday, so that is super exciting as well! I get to bring a guest, but so far my friend that I asked isn't sure if he can get it off work, so he'll probably let me know super last minute.

Edited by PlasticSoldier

I got to fist bump Raine Maida and shake hands with Steve, Jason and Duncan today. Those guys sure are nice. I can now die a happy lady. :) Raine remembered me from the Calgary soundcheck.

Matt and the band put on a great show tonight. I really liked Something Like a Storm, Bullets in a Briefcase and Hello Time Bomb. I hope Matt and Blake feel better soon.

Edited by girl

I got to fist bump Raine Maida and shake hands with Steve, Jason and Duncan today. Those guys sure are nice. I can now die a happy lady. :) Raine remembered me from the Calgary soundcheck.

Matt and the band put on a great show tonight. I really liked Something Like a Storm, Bullets in a Briefcase and Hello Time Bomb. I hope Matt and Blake feel better soon.

Good for you :) 

Is Blake sick now too? I know he said he wasn't feeling top notch on Friday but I thought he just meant he went a little too heavy on the booze the night previous or something. He's a nice guy. I got to meet him briefly as he was finishing paying for his room at the resort in the morning. Just said hi and that I really appreciated all the incredible work he does with Matt. He was really down to earth and appreciative of the support. 

Hey, everyone. Matt just collapsed in the middle of his set in Edmonton, out cold. He was playing the fourth song of the set, which happened to be Alert Status Red. He was carried off the stage by crew. It might be from overexertion, but let’s all send out our wishes for a speedy recovery from whatever is ailing him. Hopefully it’s not life-threatening.

Edit: Raine Maida just came out and let the crowd know that Matt is on his way to the hospital. Luckily, we’re close to one at the Northern Jubilee Auditorium. He’s been suffering from pneumonia, but really wanted to do the show.

Edited by NonPopulus

Guest jjazz

Terrible terrible terrible. The love and support is pouring in on Twitter which is great, but most importantly I really hope he rests up and takes the time that he needs to recover.

We're all here rooting for you Matt, hopefully you pull through and get home to your family as quick as you can.

Just came back from the March 27/Edmonton #2 show...man, what a rollercoaster of emotions.

What I write or critique about the show is secondary to hoping that Matt feels better. He has persevered through a lot (before and during) this tour so my main wish is that he makes a full recovery and can laugh about it later.  I appreciate him trying to go on and perform, that's dedication that we all know and love Matt for.

Seeing Matt collapse was scary business.  It's no exaggeration that MG is my favorite artist and watching him fall to the stage followed by the minutes of silence and confusion was terrifying.  The atmosphere in the room changed instantly and everyone was concerned.  

Raine coming out a few minutes later to give an update allowed everyone to have a collective exhale, and it was like we were given permission to continue with the night.  During the OLP set I felt guilty for sticking around and enjoying the music, it just didn't feel right.  Raine made a mention to it at the start that it was a challenge to proceed.  He had everyone participate in a "we love you Matt" message to Matt and then OLP tore through their set.  They rocked and had the venue in a frenzy.   The showmanship of Raine is impressive and I feel like I watched something special tonight.  

At the end of the show Raine said "you guys turned what could have been a bummer of a night in to an amazing experience" and that's the only way to sum it up.  

I wasn't sold on the MG/OLP tour and that was misplaced.  This is a double headliner that Canadians will talk about years from now. 

I recorded both sets and I will share them later on Wednesday after I do EQ and track splitting.  I am sharing the MG performance hesitantly as I feel like I'm invading on a private and serious moment.  Knowing that Matt is feeling better helps but I still feel awkward about it.  Listening back to the band slowly stop performing "Alert Status Red" gives me goosebumps.  The band is rocking out and a few seconds later it's silence in the venue, it's eery stuff.  

• Upvote 2

Having never seen an Our Lady Peace concert before, I wasn't sure of the energy, but as things went on, and Raine kept us updated, you could definitely feel it shift from "should I be enjoying this?" to "YEAH!!!". 

I was wearing my OK hoodie, and after the show I had 3 people at different times ask me if I was doing alright. It was very odd, in that it was Matt who collapsed. 

I am glad he's doing better. Yes it sucks, but health is number one.

I was thinking to myself that Alert Status Red was sounding really awesome and I should have been videoing it, but once he collapsed, and the lights came up, and just the not knowing feeling made me really glad I wasn't. Sad that people are sharing that or him being carried off, so readily. 

"We Love You Matt!!"

I was wearing my OK hoodie, and after the show I had 3 people at different times ask me if I was doing alright. It was very odd, in that it was Matt who collapsed.

I am glad he's doing better. Yes it sucks, but health is number one.

Is he doing better though? Wasn't aware there was confirmation of anything one way or another. 

Only comforting thing I've been able to find about the entire thing was this tweet someone sent out about a doctor being in the crowd and immediately jumping up on stage with the band. I wonder if that was the girl in the video up on youtube.  post-833-0-71425300-1522231866_thumb.jpg

And right as you are that it's bizarre for people to ask how you were doing, being another hard core fan, I do kind of get it. Even though we don't know Matt, his life's work and his interactions with all of us over the last 2 and a half decades have meant an indescribable amount to so many of us. Even though it might sound weird, the fact that his health is in jeopardy is as disturbing to me as if it were a family member of mine.  

To be honest, even though it's irrational because no one outside his camp could have known how bad it was, I still sort of feel guilty. I talked to him briefly on Friday at the sound check and gave him a couple gifts with a letter saying thanks for all the years of music. Knowing that he was unwell I wish I had told him that none of us would ever hold it against him if he needed to take a break. I know he said he was doing this for his kids, but still, even though I know it wouldn't have made a difference in his dedication, I still wish I had said something with regards to it. 

Edited by daniel_v