RileyLewis

Tour: 2018

I think you are right. OLP for the most part mainly plays hits as it is. I am huge fan of both though and it sucks that they aren't at least doing Buffalo. I am considering the Hamilton show though. The other thing that sucks is that March has notoriously bad weather in Buffalo and surly Canada as well so I am not sure if I want to throw down on a ticket and then be snowed out. If this happened in the Spring or Summer I would be all over a Canada trip.

In buffalo here. Last year was an uncharacteristic winter with little snow so we are looking at either the same (yay global warming) or an awesomely bad one (boo lake effect). I've driven up a few times in the bad weather for shows and it does suck, but if you leave yourself enough time for bad driving conditions could be worth it. I was really hoping for a Buffalo stop but OLP was just here over the summer.

Is there a presale code? I haven't seen an email from the mg team yet.

In buffalo here. Last year was an uncharacteristic winter with little snow so we are looking at either the same (yay global warming) or an awesomely bad one (boo lake effect). I've driven up a few times in the bad weather for shows and it does suck, but if you leave yourself enough time for bad driving conditions could be worth it. I was really hoping for a Buffalo stop but OLP was just here over the summer.

Is there a presale code? I haven't seen an email from the mg team yet.

Last year was pretty warm, so we're probably due for a constant dumping this year.  March usually isn't too bad, but it's sort of a variable in terms of what the weather will be like.

There's supposed to be an email coming, and if you check the Show page, there should be one listed there tomorrow as well.

Dammit during the week. I work evenings, meaning I have to take the time off. i WILL make this work out dammit!

Our Lady Peace has sent an email with the dates and presale password of DROP2017, so I assume Matt's will be something related to Something Like A Storm or a single, 

olpmgtour2018.png

Man...not what I was hoping for. Don't get me wrong, OLP puts on a surprisingly good show...but a co-headlined show means it's all singles, all the time. Instead of 14-15 songs, I'd expect 9-10 songs for Matt. So:

Apparitions

Load Me Up

Hello Time Bomb

Weapon

Born Losers

Alert Status Red

Giant

Decades

Bullets in a Briefcase

+ one more, maybe?

Can we expect anything else, realistically?

I'll also be disappointed if he does add more solo shows at the end of the tour in BC, as the rest of Canada will be completely missing out. 

Also, they are skipping Saskatchewan entirely, so that means a 5+ hour drive at the minimum, and the MB and AB shows are during the week, so at least 2 days off work/school. Is it worth it for a singles show? If I knew right now that he'd be doing a normal-length show (so in other words, each band does a full set) then I would buy tomorrow for Winnipeg or Calgary. But there's no way to know unless Matt comments here. I don't want to spend $400+ for tickets, hotels, gas, and also time off work/school so we can go to a show full of songs I have heard 5+ times, plus OLP (who aren't exactly at the top of their game).

I'm really torn on this. I was hoping for an awesome show to celebrate and awesome new album.

Edited by RileyLewis

Is a two hour show each even possible? Given that most of these venues will have an 11 o'clock curfew? Given a half hour break between sets that means the opener would hit the stage at 630. I really doubt it. Like I said expect 75-90 min sets each

Most likely it'll be like other co headlining tours.  Equal time, and they rotate who goes on first and who closes.  These types of shows are usually nostalgia fests for casual fans wanting to relive the 90's or whatever decade the co headline is from.  No one wants to be the band boring the fairweather crowd with a bunch of deep cuts they've never heard.  Expect the hits, a few new songs (probably Decades) and maybe a couple lesser known hits.  I know I'm being a negative nancy on this, but I have no interest in Co Headlines at all.  Thankfully for me the Vancouver and Van Isle area are conspicuously absent, so I'm hoping OLP packs their bags after Abbotsford and Matt with his band already in BC decides to play some headlining shows in early April in Van and possibly Victoria and Nanaimo which are guaranteed sell outs for him.  

I doubt that OLP and Matt will rotate who goes on first and who closes. I'm betting that OLP will close all shows. No offense to Matt, but OLP is the bigger band.

Edited by MatthewGoodFan101

And unfortunately this will likely mean that there are more OLP fans than MG fans in attendance. You know those people that shout out "play Hello Time Bomb!" 7 minutes into a show? A whole crowd full.

I know that this makes a tour much more economically viable, so I understand why Matt would be doing it, but it sucks as a fan who wants to see more of him. On the other hand, he might say that it allows him to tour at all, which means we see any of him. Doesn't mean I have to be happy about it, though.

Why would OLP being on the bill make this more economically viable? Matt plays most of these same venues on his own tours and sells them out or nearly sells thrm out at a ticket price of about $50. He'll still have his own bus band and crew for the most part. Now im sure he'll save some money on some logistical things but how much are tickets to this going to be? Unless theyre over a hundred dollars I can't see Matt making more from this tour than he would on just a regular tour of his own. OLP may be more popular. But its not like their addition has got the band playing in NHL arenas its still yhe same venues he usually plays

Guest Idioteque

Abbotsford is a sketchy one, I've seen dozens of shows there from WWE events to concerts. Never seen that sucker close to full for way bigger bands, it's such a drag of a drive too. Main concern is how bad our winters usually get around that time, I wouldn't be surprised if some dates get canceled because of it.

Probably should've settled on 3 nights at the Commodore or something for the Lower Mainland. Curious to see what the perks for VIP are.

And unfortunately this will likely mean that there are more OLP fans than MG fans in attendance. You know those people that shout out "play Hello Time Bomb!" 7 minutes into a show? A whole crowd full.

I feel the same way. As I do about the bots that will no doubt descend upon these shows owing to the slightly increased exposure. 

Prove me wrong, Ticketbastard. Prove me wrong.

The ticket prices are fair. I just wish they planned this for a time when it was "snow season"   Makes it hard to plan.  I may just use my brain and take plane or maybe train, it sounds insane but......

Or wait until July and got to Timmins and maybe see Santa while I'm that close to the North Pole

The ticket prices are fair. I just wish they planned this for a time when it was "snow season"   Makes it hard to plan.  I may just use my brain and take plane or maybe train, it sounds insane but......

Or wait until July and got to Timmins and maybe see Santa while I'm that close to the North Pole

Santa comment made me lole IRL ....

Got my tickets for Hamilton. First balcony. Not going to do VIP this time, as I can't afford it. I'd love to, and the price is reasonable enough (pretty much same deal as the CN tour), but just bad timing.

Greatest hits show with limited set?  punch me in the face :|

And it's like, do I pass up a chance to see Matt? Even if he only plays 2 or 3 songs off of the new album, this might be the only time he ever plays them. 

I wish Matt was here to explain the rationale for the tour. He doesn't owe us anything as fans, but I would be interested to know why he chose this tour, and if it will result in the sacrifice of set length.

If I knew this was basically a full double show, then I would buy a ticket right now. But I just don't know if I want to drive 7 hours to Calgary, pay $100 for tickets, $250 for a hotel room for two nights, and then gas and eating out expenses for a show where I will maybe only hear his singles.

This was a tough one. I was excited at first but you all brought up some good points. I haven't listened to OLP in years and years but I'm ok with seeing them. I'm even ok with Matt playing first because less time standing in front with no bathroom break haha.

That being said, the likelihood of mostly singles isn't super ideal. Or a shorter set time.

But. I don't want to pass up the chance to see him. I don't like seated or arena shows so that brought my choices down to rebel in Toronto or Montreal. Toronto is closer but it's my husbands birthday weekend and I made him go to an mg show last year on his birthday weekend and although I know he would go if I asked, I settled on Montreal. It's midweek so hotel prices should be lower, which I guess is a plus.

I don't think I can swallow the price of VIP so I'll probably pass on that and hope for the best.

i like how the photo op with OLP says "on stage" haha

but man $275 ($303 after fees. noooo thank you) is a lot for both VIP. even the separate $150s are high.. so i will have to skip it since I've gotten a bunch of other concert tickets in past few days

i'm not looking forward to when 10am rolls around here and I have the added OLP fans to fight for tickets haha

This was a tough one. I was excited at first but you all brought up some good points. I haven't listened to OLP in years and years but I'm ok with seeing them. I'm even ok with Matt playing first because less time standing in front with no bathroom break haha.

That being said, the likelihood of mostly singles isn't super ideal. Or a shorter set time.

But. I don't want to pass up the chance to see him. I don't like seated or arena shows so that brought my choices down to rebel in Toronto or Montreal. Toronto is closer but it's my husbands birthday weekend and I made him go to an mg show last year on his birthday weekend and although I know he would go if I asked, I settled on Montreal. It's midweek so hotel prices should be lower, which I guess is a plus.

I don't think I can swallow the price of VIP so I'll probably pass on that and hope for the best.

Don't let us dampen your excitement.  I'm sure the shows will be great all the same.  If this tour was coming to Victoria I'd still be going to one show just to check it out.  I've yet to be disappointed by an MG show in person, although because of shorter sets and usually more expensive tickets I've ruled off festival shows in the future and this coheadline to me will most likely be in the same vein.  At the very least you'll get to hear a couple new songs live I would imagine and maybe an interesting collaboration between the bands.  Really hope you enjoy the show! 

Don't let us dampen your excitement. I'm sure the shows will be great all the same. If this tour was coming to Victoria I'd still be going to one show just to check it out. I've yet to be disappointed by an MG show in person, although because of shorter sets and usually more expensive tickets I've ruled off festival shows in the future and this coheadline to me will most likely be in the same vein. At the very least you'll get to hear a couple new songs live I would imagine and maybe an interesting collaboration between the bands. Really hope you enjoy the show!

Thanks. I'm sure I will definitely enjoy it. It will be interesting to see the difference between this and the BM and CN tours, those were really amazing.

Guest Idioteque

No VIP this year, not close to being worth it. Can we also stop doing the stupid "Ticketless VIP" experience, block off the first 3 rows or do early admission for VIP, but throw in a freaking ticket. So silly.

One of the main reasons I even get VIP is because they guarantee you a great seat.

But besides that if you all play devil's advocate & went to go see Matt & stayed for OLP, I'm sure we would all be hoping for just the singles. When OLP could be wanting rare tracks & new songs as well, harmless Canadian warmup tour. Not the least bit upset if I'll miss Abby.