RileyLewis

Tour: 2018

Bought tickets to the second Edmonton show (Tuesday March 27).  I got my typical seat at that venue, upper balcony and in the middle section of seats.  Like others here I'm curious to know how this co-headline tour will play out and what kind of surprises may come our way.  An added bonus is that the tour is going East to West so maybe there will be some benefit to being at the tail end of a tour for once.

Bought tickets to the second Edmonton show (Tuesday March 27).  I got my typical seat at that venue, upper balcony and in the middle section of seats.  Like others here I'm curious to know how this co-headline tour will play out and what kind of surprises may come our way.  An added bonus is that the tour is going East to West so maybe there will be some benefit to being at the tail end of a tour for once.

Me too.  Same show.  I am not thrilled about hearing all the singles either but maybe you're right, being at the end of tour might make up for it.  Hopefully he can play 1 or two rare songs.

Haha seats in the tapers section eh Sean! Tough to say how it will play out, being on Van Isle I typically see the very start or very end.  Sometimes it seems at the end of the tour the band might work out an extra song or two in soundcheck, but the downside is, sometimes they are downright exhausted after a couple months on the road.  In 2013 the tour ended out here and it seemed like the guys were running on fumes a bit.  

Last tour it started out here, and I had the good fortune of going to like 11 of the first 12 shows.  I noticed as the tour progressed that the band got much tighter and started branching out a bit more.  If you listen to my recordings from Victoria compared to say Vancouver or the Alberta shows, Stu is really adding some neat little fills and you can tell he just has the foundations down pat and he is now adding some artistic flare.  The jams also got more cohesive as the tour went on.  But looking at setlists towards the end of the tour, it seems the band was tiring out.  What had been a four song encore every night was reduced to three and at a show or two even down to just two tracks.  

Although they both have new music out...so maybe both will be showcasing new stuff??

I don’t know. I feel excited and optimistic for the tour!

However, the VIP at a seated venue makes no sense. 150$ for early access?? To seats I already have guaranteed. No acoustic set. Just sound check. No exclusive merch (OLP does a bunch of merch with their package).

Yeaaah. I love Matt but im passing for VIP this time.

Guest Idioteque

Watched OLP footage from abbotsford, they actually pull a solid crowd out there. They toured with I Mother Earth so I can see Matt pulling an equal crowd for an "opener" slot. I wanna see Matt in a hockey arena like the old MGB days, experience that for the first time.

All depends on the weather, best part about Abby shows is if the event doesn't sell out (normally doesn't) then the lowerbowl turns into GA to fill the gaps closest to the stage. I always buy the cheapest because I'll be side-stage by the end of the night anyways.

Found the VIP for that specific OLP/IME tour, this would have been beautiful:

*Acoustic Happy Hour VIP Package, which includes a private combined acoustic performance by OLP and IME, Meet and Greet with the bands, limited edition signed tour poster, souvenir laminate and more.*

I know it wasn't co-headlining but how did the Midnight Oil support shows go for song selection?

It was hits plus a few deep cuts and Decades. It's not in order but from what I remember :

Weapon, HTB, Load Me Up, Apparitions, Born Losers, Strange Days, Going All The Way, I Miss New Wave (? I think ), Let's Get It On (Revisited Version), Suburbia, Decades. That's just what I remember.

Watched OLP footage from abbotsford, they actually pull a solid crowd out there. They toured with I Mother Earth so I can see Matt pulling an equal crowd for an "opener" slot. I wanna see Matt in a hockey arena like the old MGB days, experience that for the first time.

All depends on the weather, best part about Abby shows is if the event doesn't sell out (normally doesn't) then the lowerbowl turns into GA to fill the gaps closest to the stage. I always buy the cheapest because I'll be side-stage by the end of the night anyways.

Found the VIP for that specific OLP/IME tour, this would have been beautiful:

*Acoustic Happy Hour VIP Package, which includes a private combined acoustic performance by OLP and IME, Meet and Greet with the bands, limited edition signed tour poster, souvenir laminate and more.*

I kinda hope you're wrong with regards to crowd size. For the OLP/IME show I went to at Massey Hall in Toronto (home turf for both bands), the place was maybe half full for IME. No skin off their backs, just they've been dormant for a long while, right ...Matt can fill Massey Hall on his own (and I say that for posterity only - we know this haha).

As for the VIP thing, who knows right ... if they're vibing well on tour, maybe something like that happens. It's a dream come true for any kid who grew up in Canada in the late 90's/early 2000's to have them both in the building at the same time!

A poster (signed) with VIP is ok as a bonus, but $150 for soundcheck when tickets to the actual concert are half that price is ridiculous.  A group photo is meh, and certainly not worth the price.  Definitely skipping VIP, for $150 I want a ticket too.  Not sure if I'll even go to the show, OLP are neat but I've never bought their album.  This tour is most appealing to casual fans of both bands i think.

Haha seats in the tapers section eh Sean! 

...maybe!  It just happens that the balcony is great for acoustics and sight lines, so it's a win-win.  As it is Center Section / Row A in the Upper Balcony of the Jubilee Auditorium may be my most frequented recording location (just don't tell the staff).

At shows I notice more talkers during opening acts compared to the headliners so it will be interesting to see (hear?) how that changes with a co-headlining tour.  

I told PlasticSoldier offline that my wish for the show would be to have both artists play their latest album front to back (assuming OLP has Somethingness Vol 2 released by then).  Each set may alienate a portion of the audience but if these are the only cross Canada dates for each group then maybe the shows could focus on new material and not all singles?  Or, like Moonlight_Graham just wrote, this will appeal to casual fans who remember the days of Chart Attack and videos on MuchMusic. 

I can say this honestly, unlike past tours I have no idea what will be played.  There is no guarantee that new material will be in the forefront, so maybe a bit of Something Like a Storm will be played, or it could just be a singles/greatest hit set, and not knowing is a little exciting.

I mean just go to setlist.fm and you can see what is being played. Never had an issue getting a ticket day of the show. You may risk paying a bit more or a lot more depending on city but at least you will know the majority of what to expect.

Bought tickets to:

the Calgary show (March 23) + VIP

the first Edmonton show (Monday March 26) + VIP

I hope I'll be able to hear these songs: Men At The Door, Something Like A Storm, She's Got You Where She Wants You, This Is Night, and Bullets In A Briefcase

Edited by girl

I mean just go to setlist.fm and you can see what is being played. Never had an issue getting a ticket day of the show. You may risk paying a bit more or a lot more depending on city but at least you will know the majority of what to expect.

You make a good point!

Unfortunately for those of us living 5-7 hours away from a show (Regina, SK), we don't have the luxury of making that choice. I either get tickets well in advance and book off the 2-3 days needed for travel, plus hotels, etc, or I don't go. I still don't know what to do. I think the only option that would work is Calgary, but I know nothing of the venue. Has anyone had experience with it? A former coworker of mine said it wasn't that great. I think I will wait for general tickets to go on sale before committing anyway. I would really love to wait and see what songs are being played, but I don't know if that is an option considering how short the tour is before it gets to Calgary.

Edited by RileyLewis

I took a look at the Our Lady Peace x I Mother Earth 2016 tour on setlist.fm for comparison. On the 15 date tour, I Mother Earth played 10 songs, except for one night, and OLP played an average of 15 songs. OLP played the most songs in Ottawa and Toronto (16).

I think the only option that would work is Calgary, but I know nothing of the venue. Has anyone had experience with it? A former coworker of mine said it wasn't that great.

It is a good venue.The sound quality doesn't match that of the Jack Singer Concert Hall though. The venue is all one level which makes it a little harder to see the stage, especially if people are standing in the aisles. Getting in and out of the parking lot may be a challenge because of the way the roads are set up around there, but the parking staff were very organized when I went there last month. After the concert, I was out of there in no time. It was a vast improvement from previous concerts.

Hmmm... this may be the first MG tour I skip in 10 years.  If there were a show in Victoria, I would go, I'm surprised there isn't actually (maybe one could still be added?).  Even if there was one downtown or closer to downtown in Vancouver on a weekend, I may just use it as an excuse to hang out in Vancouver for the weekend.

I get why it's being done.  These are, in reality, much bigger venues than Matt has played by himself on recent tours, and the tickets seem to be about 50% more expensive than normal MG shows, so that's what makes it economically viable.  Many of the dates are at 5,000-8,000 seat arenas if you look into it.  There are a few cases where they are playing the biggest venues that Matt has been playing by himself (Edmonton for example), but in most cases they are playing 2 nights there.

OLP is a bigger attraction at this stage (mostly because they are more mainstream), and will likely bring out a higher percentage of the crowd.  Notice how OLP is listed first in all promotional material.  I would expect that Matt will probably open every show and have a slightly shorter set than OLP (shorter than what Matt would play at his own show).  I would expect something like a 12 song set, probably 3-4 off the new album, the rest singles with maybe a deep cut mixed in.  I could be way off base, we'll see.

I'm not complaining, like I said, I'd be going if there were a show in my city.  I don't mind OLP, would be fun to hear them play the hits, like it will probably be fun for OLP fans to see Matt play the hits.  It would be fun to see Matt play an upbeat set in front of a more party-oriented crowd too.  As much as I've heard Load Me Up, Time Bomb and Automatic live before, they're still great songs that I love.  These co-headline tours seem to be all-the-rage right now.

It will be interesting to see if they can actually fill these arenas as well.  I wonder if they will actually go with half-arena setups (where the stage is halfway down, instead of the full arena), but I'm thinking probably not.  Arenas aren't the best places for concerts, but a full arena is better than a half-full arena.

I'm hoping that, against all likelihood, Matt comes back through next Fall or something, and plays a solo-acoustic tour in smaller venues.  That would be a dream come true.

Edited by Curtster

Hi everyone,

Here's a message from Matt regarding the tour:

I’m no longer a member here, nor have an account. My personal life being flagrantly discussed in private messages to the negative is not something I’m interested in. I realize that most of you have no involvement in such ridiculousness, but I draw the line where I see fit to draw it.

I’ve sent this to Anton to straighten out a few things regarding the upcoming tour. Despite what I’ve read, new material will most definitely feature in each nights performance, especially opening and closing each show. And there will be songs in the middle. Of course, there’s going to be popular songs mixed in with then, as well as material I plan to rotate in and out, such as Tripoli, Cold Water perhaps, and so forth.

No, this tour is not the same as a regular tour in which I play for 2 hours. That said, because of it I’ll have the opportunity to hopefully do both in a single year.

I more than realize that, in perfect fandom, set lists would be replete with album tracks, foregoing those “hits” that many have grown tired of hearing. To that end, I cannot in good conscience charge money for people not to hear Apparitions, Weapon, or Load Me Up - no matter how much even I’d like to replace them with other songs.

I’ve lasted longer than almost all of my contemporaries treading a fine line between playing new material, old material, and hits. It’s something that I can’t wholly alter based on the views of maybe 10 people. Not when those 10 or 20 people account for less than 1% of an audience.

I’ve been toying with a plan over the last year of doing multiple nights acoustically in 100 seat venues during which I go through my entire career, talking about it as I go. But the reality there is that tickets would be $120 dollars - which given the context of the evening is absolutely fair in my opinion. Hopefully it will happen.

• Upvote 1

Guest Idioteque

See, even reading about the possibility of hearing Tripoli live has increased my attention significantly. I'd like to hear the new album, don't mind the singles but just to throw in a few rarities is what makes or breaks going to a concert. Songs like Tripoli with Avalanche? I'm sold.

Thumbs up to the idea of the acoustic show too. Wonder if there's a possibility to go into pre-MGB, there's a few classics like "Go Fly Blind" that I'd like to hear.

I've said it a million times. Go Fly Blind needs to happen one day.

Everything sounds about right. It's a co-headlining tour. That's how the show will have to go. It won't ALL be hits, but You have to cater to the masses. I had a feeling we might get a bit more of a complete solo tour A bit later on.

"I’ve lasted longer than almost all of my contemporaries treading a fine line between playing new material, old material, and hits. It’s something that I can’t wholly alter based on the views of maybe 10 people. Not when those 10 or 20 people account for less than 1% of an audience."

Agreed. Bottom line is that Matt is a wonderfully creative artist who many of us have supported for many years, and I for one will continue to do so. He's also gotta do what he needs to do from a financial perspective.

Which reminds me....I need to go buy some vinyl from his online store now :)

Admittedly some pre-MGB stuff would be thoroughly awesome but in any case I've never gone to any MG show with any set of expectations. When you have a career that spans decades it's just not possible to appease everybody.

Exactly. In the end, this site is for the hardcores and doesn’t represent the majority. The fun part here is dreaming about all the possibilities with other crazies like ourselves but realistically he’s doing it the way it needs be and he feels it needs to be. It’s all good.