RileyLewis

Tour: 2018

So I have decided to do something different for the 12 days of Goodness this year.  In addition to MG/MGB shows, I will post an OLP live show each day also for fans who haven't heard them or for fans who may want to fall back in love with them. No better time than now right?

Interesting!  Looking forward to it.  I used to be a big OLP fan but haven't really listened to them in 10 years.  

So I have decided to do something different for the 12 days of Goodness this year. In addition to MG/MGB shows, I will post an OLP live show each day also for fans who haven't heard them or for fans who may want to fall back in love with them. No better time than now right?

Great idea! I haven't listened to any of their newer stuff so would like to get reacquainted before the show. I saw them three times during the Clumsy / spiritual machines eras, so it's been some time.

My local radio station is airing separate interviews with both Raine and Matt today.  They teased a clip where Raine says that you should expect the two artists to collaborate on songs together live while on this tour.

So it sounds like you could hear Raine on some MG stuff, or vice versa.  If you happen to be one of the select few going to see a show on this tour.

http://www.fm96.com/2017/11/24/listen-raine-maida-from-olp-and-matthew-good-chat-with-dunner-about-their-2018-co-headlining-tour/

I haven't listened to the full interview, but it should be in here.

Edited by hoogie

As a fan of the first 4 OLP albums who essentially lost track of them, anyone care to give a 'cliff's notes' version of their output since?  Anything worth checking out?  And why did Turner leave the fold?

Gravity and Healthy in Paranoid Times are kind of their "heavy" Bob Rock produced phase. Made them a shit ton of money.

Burn, Burn and Curve are really good when they're good, and really bad when they're bad, if that makes sense.

Highlights of Burn, Burn for me are Escape Artist, Paper Moon and White Flags. There's some nifty guitar work by Steve Mazur on a few of these tunes.

The only worthwhole song for me on Curve is Rabbits, which I believe to be a glorious, even if temporary, return to form. Plodding, almost jazzy, with some great crescendo guitar work on the choruses with heavy reverb and delay type effects. 

As for Mike, I think someone else can answer this, but the story I was told is he hated the "Bob Rock" sound. He left during the recording of Gravity. I don't know what he hated, necessarily, but I am guessing it's the more polished/produced/power chordey stuff. Gravity is a fine album because that sound was new for them, but then they kept trying to replicate it over and over. I honestly hate Healthy in Paranoid times. There's a few standout tracks like Al Genina (album closer), but that song "The World on a String" is daft beyond words. 

I think All For You, Bring Back the Sun,  and Story are decent songs from Gravity.  It's a poppy album and was in tune for things that were big in 2002. Think Good Charlotte with the happy go lucky pop sound.    Healthy is such a mixed bag though.  I like Al Genina a lot.  Picture is good and Angels Losing Sleep is good as well.  I have seen OLP many, many times since 2000 and the Healthy tour was one of my favorites. The band was on fire.

Mike Turner was upset with a lot of things. Remember, Spiritual Machines was his idea. He was the one who read the book and pitched it to the other guys. I was 16 or 17 yrs old when my dad took me and a friend to see OLP at St Bonaventure college. After the show we waited and waited to meet Raine. We met Jeremy, Jamie Edwards (was playing on the tour with OLP) and Mike.  Mike spoke with us for a good 30 mins and was talking about the book. This show was in April 2000 and before Spiritual Machines (the album) was released.  You could just tell how passionate he was about the album.    Raine never did come out to meet the 5 or so fans who waited for him though.

Sidenote I would finally meet Raine in 2002 as well as 2005-2006  and he was/is  very down to earth and was a pleasure to speak with. 

Mike went on to release some music with Edwin of I Mother Earth and Stuart of the Tea Party listed as Crash Karma.  They covered some OLP songs with Edwin singing vocals. Youtube should still have these for those interested.

That all sounds about right, although maybe the OLP forum guys are lurking and laughing at us. I also recall reading that Mike wrote all the parts for Gravity and Steve just came in and recorded the stuff he left. My memory is not what it was 15 years ago so maybe that info is hazy.

I tried listening to the Crash Karma stuff a few years back but never really bought in. Wasn't my style. As for Healthy In Paranoid Times, it was the last OLP record I bought. It had its moments, and at times seemed like a return to form, but still wasn't the same for me. I did listen to Curve and recall enjoying it, but at that point I was just a less than casual listener of the newer stuff, so it never really stuck with me. But I will go back and try to listen to the newer stuff in time for the concert. I'd like to be in the loop. If there's one thing I hate, it's going to see a band live, enjoying it, going back to hear the records only then to understand all of the special moments that I didn't pick up on during the show, and then losing those moments and never having them back. Does that make sense? A bit of a ramble, I know!

Edited by jjazz

My local radio station is airing separate interviews with both Raine and Matt today. They teased a clip where Raine says that you should expect the two artists to collaborate on songs together live while on this tour.

So it sounds like you could hear Raine on some MG stuff, or vice versa. If you happen to be one of the select few going to see a show on this tour.

http://www.fm96.com/2017/11/24/listen-raine-maida-from-olp-and-matthew-good-chat-with-dunner-about-their-2018-co-headlining-tour/

I haven't listened to the full interview, but it should be in here.

Thanks for the link. Exciting to hear that they will be planning g a collaboration of some sort.

Logistical question for people who have done VIP in the past. Do you go back outside again after soundcheck and then are let in early closer to the time of doors? And do you receive the VIP merch during the soundcheck portion as well? I actually have the means to do VIP this time around but I just don't want to have to worry about storing stuff somewhere during the show since I chose a GA venue.

From my experience, yes you'll have to leave the venue. Soundcheck usually happens around 3 or 4 and lasts close to an hour. Then you can do your merch shopping. They'll kick you out of the venue and you come back for doors. They'll start a separate line for VIP and let you in earlier than the general line.

Usually the merch people are really helpful and will keep stuff tucked away for you, but it's really up to their discretion. This sounds like it will be a pretty big tour, and taking care of both bands fans needs might be tough to accommodate, so keep that in mind.

Edited by jjazz

As a fan of the first 4 OLP albums who essentially lost track of them, anyone care to give a 'cliff's notes' version of their output since?  Anything worth checking out?  And why did Turner leave the fold?

Everybody has different opinions and interpretations of bands and their music, so my advice to you is to just check out everything since SM and make up your own mind. Just because some people here have a negative opinion doesn't make them accurate. It's just their opinion- no more and no less.

Personally, for me, they've been hit and miss since SM. Some of their stuff is fantastic and some of it definitely is not. Gravity was certainly more radio friendly and simple (though even within that there were a couple beautiful songs- Not Enough being a good example of one), whereas HIPT was a mix of both corporate and artistic songs (like somebody else mentioned, Al Genina and Where Are You are wicked songs). Then came Burn Burn which was, imo, (save for Monkey Brains and the drumming Jeremy did throughout the album) the most mediocre, bland, corporate sounding release they've ever done. They sounded like over a hundred different indistinguishable bands you could hear any day on the radio save for Raine's voice. Then they eventually followed that up with Curve which was a nice return to their roots in the sense that even though it didn't sound like their pre-Gravity days (and nor should they ever since bands have to grow and evolve) it did have a raw and intense drive to it, both lyrically and instrumentally (in fact, I'd say it was some of the best lyrical work I've ever seen from anyone). Then they released Won't Turn Back (again, more radio friendly) and now they've followed it up with "Somethingness" which, thankfully, sounds like a more artistic release again. Basically they seem to go back and forth so for better and worse it makes for a good surprise when you do get stuff like "Somethingness" because it makes it that much more interesting. Raine's work with his wife in "Moon VS Sun" seems to be making some headway into the band which is not a bad thing by any means.

I also should note that for whatever it's worth I strongly disagree with Riley Lewis that Raine's voice has been in decline. Like most vocalists (even including Matt) he has his good and bad days live, but he still sounds fantastic most of the time (and the studio work he does is always flawless in my opinion). If you want a good example of Raine still being at the top of his game I suggest checking this out.

Edited by daniel_v

Daniel,

That is my favorite song from Somethingness.   Also a big fan of Monkey Brains and Escape Artist from Burn Burn. Sometimes I want to hear radio friendly poppy music and when I do that is my go to album.   Not a lot of the Burn Burn songs were played live and I think the band is not fond of the album either. Still a solid album and if any other band released it I think it would get higher reviews and praise

Ok thanks. That works then I can hopefully drop it off at the car in between, or hotel depending where we stay. Now just fingers crossed for a coat check.

What show did you end up at? I see you're in Buffalo ...if you're going to Hamilton, that's the show I'm going to/I have stayed at the Sheraton across the street from the venue before. Good prices and it's literally a thirty second walk ... very convenient for VIP attendin (as I found out on the BM tour)

If I were in this position, I would be fine with open discussion, if only because it would tell me what the fans were thinking. If it's worth me stepping in and saying something, I could do that. I'd rather that stuff be in the open then festering behind the scenes where I wouldn't know about it.

I gently disagree about him being in the room. He was here occasionally, but not as a regular participant. I don't think discussing it here would be any different from discussing it on Instragram or anywhere else that he'd be able to see it.

And, to be fair, he opened the door - he talked about some of his personal life stuff himself. I hate saying it that way, because his honesty is maybe the attribute I most respect him for. But that's the problem with being that open - some humans have this annoying tendency of condemning people (especially strangers) if they feel they've acted inappropriately, even if they don't know what actually happened. If you're uncomfortable with people talking about your personal life, that stuff has to stay off-limits.

I agree that the PMs are out of bounds. But the reality: humans are shitheads. Just ignore them, delete them and move on. If it's so bad that you don't want to come around anymore, so be it.

But in the 15 years I've been a fan, my biggest frustration with MG's psyche is how destructive he can be when he gets upset. I think the long-timers here will remember how often he used to delete his blog wholesale.

For those who hadn't noticed: every post he's ever made here is gone. 10 years or so. To me: if you're that upset, log off and walk away. Change your account email to something bullshit, change your password to random characters. (I've done this, btw.) But don't shred the entire thing. There's a lot of historical insight that's now gone, all because some random morons were assholes.

I'm sad all his posts are gone too, I agree it's frustrating, & it's been frustrating when the old blogs disappeared too, which contained a lot of meaning for a lot of people not to mention historical value as a record.  But also we don't know what was said to him in the PM's, maybe even with good intentions, but could have  made him feel hurt, offended, angry etc.  And I remember Matt mentioning many years ago that he didn't know if he could continue blogging because of legal problems from the things he's written, maybe from his ex-wife or whatever who knows.  So maybe he had no choice sometimes?

Matt's also been very open about his bipolarity, which is a mood disorder, and has been open that he's been going through a lot of hard times personally & health-wise lately, so maybe these decisions that may seem rash to us happen at a low point & then something upsets him like this, or maybe not, who knows, we really don't know so we should just respect his decision & wish him the best.  We've been really blessed to have Geoff and Matt post here over the years.

What show did you end up at? I see you're in Buffalo ...if you're going to Hamilton, that's the show I'm going to/I have stayed at the Sheraton across the street from the venue before. Good prices and it's literally a thirty second walk ... very convenient for VIP attendin (as I found out on the BM tour)

Ended up with Montreal this time around. Which may sound crazy, but I've travelled from living in both California and Texas to see Matt so a six hour drive is nothing. I would have opted for the smaller Toronto show but it didn't work out schedule wise. I booked a room less ham half a mile from the venue so that should do nicely I think.

Ended up with Montreal this time around. Which may sound crazy, but I've travelled from living in both California and Texas to see Matt so a six hour drive is nothing. I would have opted for the smaller Toronto show but it didn't work out schedule wise. I booked a room less ham half a mile from the venue so that should do nicely I think.

Ah, great town. I've never actually been to Montreal. That will be interesting, if you've never been. Enjoy!

Daniel,

That is my favorite song from Somethingness. Also a big fan of Monkey Brains and Escape Artist from Burn Burn. Sometimes I want to hear radio friendly poppy music and when I do that is my go to album. Not a lot of the Burn Burn songs were played live and I think the band is not fond of the album either. Still a solid album and if any other band released it I think it would get higher reviews and praise

Lol, fair enough. Each to their own. My go to radio friendly album from them has always been Gravity. So many guilty pleasures on that one, haha. Anyways, I saw u made an OLP thread in the other music board here so, in the interest of not getting too off topic on the MG board, I'll go write some more stuff there.

Here's another quick phone interview with Matt and Raine from Sonic102.9 here in Edmonton from Dec 1

http://www.sonic1029.com/2017/12/01/listen-matt-good-olps-raine-maida-talk-new-tour/

This is probably the best one I've heard from them. I like how they talked about all the similarities they have and that Brandi actually asked about their feud back in the early 2000s (even more so that Matt actually answered it and was mature enough to take ownership of it by saying that that was on him). All the other interviews I've heard the hosts have shied away from touching on that subject.