RileyLewis

Tour: 2018

Not a fan of how Raine yells "Got me some good grades" At the Ottawa show it sounded like he said "Got me some good grains" #farmerraine #thefarmerandchantal

Ahahaha yes! At the Ottawa show right after he said it, i turned to Kelly and was like « did he just say, ‘good grains’?! » lol

Although major props to Raine for not missing a beat while he stumbled over a speaker and did a literal somersault. Sang through the whole somersault lol. Very comical.

On a less than happy note, was really unimpressed with the « floor » layout for the Ottawa concert. For Matt, we were able to get out of our second row seats and make it right to the front right by Stu and Matt. No one made us sit down.

But for OLP security was around enforcing you to stay in your seats. Neither venue or security would take ownership of who’s orders this was. The 5 front row seats in front of us were empty. Box office closed so they wouldn’t exchange our tickets which cost the same. And the sight lines were bad.

Ahahaha yes! At the Ottawa show right after he said it, i turned to Kelly and was like « did he just say, ‘good grains’?! » lol

Although major props to Raine for not missing a beat while he stumbled over a speaker and did a literal somersault. Sang through the whole somersault lol. Very comical.

On a less than happy note, was really unimpressed with the « floor » layout for the Ottawa concert. For Matt, we were able to get out of our second row seats and make it right to the front right by Stu and Matt. No one made us sit down.

But for OLP security was around enforcing you to stay in your seats. Neither venue or security would take ownership of who’s orders this was. The 5 front row seats in front of us were empty. Box office closed so they wouldn’t exchange our tickets which cost the same. And the sight lines were bad.

Raine has embraced the US agricultural system since living here and wants all of Canada to know about his good grains.  And did you hear about the Radio Shack? ahhh they are turning...shit...into....solid  gold

PS:  You would be doing summersaults too if you had some good grains

Edited by foats

is there a particular song you want to see a video of from soundcheck? i'm going to two Matt Good VIPs and one OLP VIP. if it doesn't bother the band, maybe i can try to record one song per VIP with my camera. for OLP, i'm only familiar with the radio hits. i'm not sure how the sound quality would turn out.

Edited by girl

is there a particular song you want to see a video of from soundcheck? i'm going to two Matt Good VIPs and one OLP VIP. if it doesn't bother the band, maybe i can try to record one song per VIP with my camera. for OLP, i'm only familiar with the radio hits. i'm not sure how the sound quality would turn out.

Some great OLP non radio singles (don't know if they would play any of them, but may be worth checking out if you are interested):

car crash

are you sad?

Not enough

Apology

just my opinion. 

I saw that on Twitter.  Such a bummer.  I hate when venues are pricks for no reason other than that they can be.  

I saw that on Twitter.  Such a bummer.  I hate when venues are pricks for no reason other than that they can be.  

Apparently I'm supposed to hear from TD Place. I have only heard from them that I will "hear from them soon" so far. But I don't really know what they'll do now after the fact. :/

Like jeez, just advertise it that way and I won't bother with floor. But seriously, why pay 40-60$ more than those in the stands to have worse sight lines?!?! lol. There were these two sub-sections of to the sides on the floor (we were the centre block)- I imagine they could literally see nothing. 

Some great OLP non radio singles (don't know if they would play any of them, but may be worth checking out if you are interested):

car crash

are you sad?

Not enough

Apology

just my opinion. 

I heard Not Enough for the first time after work today. I love it! That's my kind of music.

This YouTube video complements it perfectly: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnIQVpntAXM&list=RDKnIQVpntAXM&t=15

I heard a 1997 live version of Car Crash for the first time last month. It was posted in this forum. I really like that song too. If I recognize any of the songs in your list at the soundcheck, I'll try to record it with my camera. Thanks for the list! I will listen to the other two songs. I never heard them before.

That visual brought a much needed laugh, thank you.

Not enough was played in Montreal not sure about during VIP though.

they could play are you sad and or not enough, car crash is a maybe but you have a better chance of Matt and Raine linking arms and doing a country dance than you do of hearing Apology.

they could play are you sad  and or not enough, car crash is a maybe  but you have a better chance of Matt and Raine linking arms and doing a country dance than you do of hearing Apology.

Well, this heart warming embrace happened between Matt and Raine so maybe there is a chance.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BgF01W1AcP-/?hl=en&taken-by=matthewgoodgram

That picture surprised me. They seem to get along pretty well. Good stuff.

I heard Not Enough for the first time after work today. I love it! That's my kind of music.

This YouTube video complements it perfectly: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnIQVpntAXM&list=RDKnIQVpntAXM&t=15

I heard a 1997 live version of Car Crash for the first time last month. It was posted in this forum. I really like that song too. If I recognize any of the songs in your list at the soundcheck, I'll try to record it with my camera. Thanks for the list! I will listen to the other two songs. I never heard them before.

that would be awesome!

I used to be a huge OLP fan back in the day (clumsy was one of the first albums I ever bought), But I don't appreciate their material as much post spiritual machines. I think its partially nostalgia, and partially the sound of the band changed (with the changing line up) and became too polished for me. 

Naveed is good but front heavy (I love the 5 singles, but not a huge fan of the back half of the album)

Clumsy, Happiness and spiritual machines are all pretty solid front to back (each with one or two hiccups along the way)

I thought gravity and healthy in paranoid times were both hit and miss, with a couple of stellar tunes in the mix, but I was generally not digging them much at this point.... whereas I still get giddy every time Matt releases an album and generally listen to it exclusively for a week or two after I get a hold of it

Edited by folk singer

Guest jjazz

Toronto night one. I THINK this is right. Also, it was awesome. Something like a storm? Absolutely amazing.

Strange days acoustic solo

Storm

Alert

Xrated

Born losers

Decades

Machine gun

Load me up

Apparitions

Weapon

Bullets

Guest jjazz

Still reeling from last night. Woke up in the middle of the night with a massive Charlie horse in my leg, so that's usually the indicator of how you know the concert was really good.

Honestly, it was easily one of the top 10 shows I've ever been to in my life. It's right up there. The crowd was absolutely incredible. Probably the best crowd I've ever been a part of at Massey Hall, maybe even topping Pixies, National, and Sam Roberts.

First time seeing OLP and they didn't disappoint. Raine takes a lot of flack for his vocals, but man he was sharp tonight. Absolutely on point. Great set, great sound, and I have to say it was more enjoyable than Matt's set, but that's probably because the mystique is not always there since I've seen so many shows of his...

Matt and the band were tight tonight, though. Everyone is really great spirits, Blake's backup vocals sounded amazing and really add a lot of colour to the songs. Strange Days acoustic at the beginning was terrific. Great way to start the night, and he sounded amazing as usual. Something like a storm was really really powerful. It translates so well in a live setting, I hope it becomes a staple in sets to come. For the first half of the second verse, (hold on as if a chain that we've made against the waves) Matt belts out and yells it which was so cool.

No real surprises in the set tonight, I wonder if Alert status red was played yet this tour, I'll have to check. No encore either. They just powered through everything probably due to Massey Hall's union restrictions and overtime expenses. The crowd was totally into it too, and even though we mostly got a lot of hits, it was welcomed in this environment when you add in the nostalgia factor for so many people there.

OLP did the group HTB again for the encore, and it absolutely killed. Not a single person sitting down, everybody singing along to every lyric. I've heard that song get played 100 times and it gets old super quick, but not tonight. Actually not really any night. It always gets the audience engaged and I love seeing that at a MG show. I'd trade it for a deep cut any day, but I really understand how money that song is.

Anyways, great night. Went and had beers with our seat neighbours afterwards and just talked about the show for a few hours. Never would have imagined that happening, but this show seriously brought people together. You could tell just from everybody going down the stairs trying to leave Massey Hall. Everyone was just chatting with everyone, high fiving, lots of "holy fuck that was fucking amazing" all throughout the place.

Trying to get tickets for the rebel show tonight but they're sold out. I shouldn't have waited so long. I knew I'd end up wanting to go to both!

can also attest to how nice everyone was. although some people near me (floor, stage right) balked when matt started talking about gun control while introducing "a boy with a machine gun." 

don't really care for the record but "something like a storm" was quite killer live and made me appreciate it. the song had major "born to kill" vibes to it, with those major roomy "kashmir" esque drums. 

A great deal of OLP and Matt's sets were recorded on video on youtube by MattL.   Not too bad of quality.  Hoping to see bad guys win added later but it seems he got the majority of both bands.  Worth checking out if you have the time.  This is from 3/16 Rebel in Toronto.

I used to be a huge OLP fan back in the day (clumsy was one of the first albums I ever bought), But I don't appreciate their material as much post spiritual machines. I think its partially nostalgia, and partially the sound of the band changed (with the changing line up) and became too polished for me. 

Naveed is good but front heavy (I love the 5 singles, but not a huge fan of the back half of the album)

Clumsy, Happiness and spiritual machines are all pretty solid front to back (each with one or two hiccups along the way)

I thought gravity and healthy in paranoid times were both hit and miss, with a couple of stellar tunes in the mix, but I was generally not digging them much at this point.... whereas I still get giddy every time Matt releases an album and generally listen to it exclusively for a week or two after I get a hold of it

I used to be a huge OLP fan too, then two things happened:  first, I saw them play live and was suitably unimpressed.  They didn't seem to be able to translate well from album to live concert.  Secondly, I bought "Beautiful Midnight" on the same day as I bought "Happiness". At the time I was only a passing MG fan, and bought it as an afterthought more than anything, remembering some of his radio play songs.  I put "Happiness" in and was so disappointed.  I decided, with a sigh, to put in BM and was stunned.  I listened to it about 27,000 times in a row.  I remember that I was going on a trip for Thanksgiving with my family and took BM with me (back in the day of discmen) and it was the only CD I listened to for the entire trip. 

I actually love Naveed.  I still think it's the best overall OLP album.  I also love the song 4am.  I know it's OLP's version of Apparitions in that it is so well known, and I'm sure he feels he has to sing it at every concert, but it's a classic in my mind and has lots of personal meaning for me as well.

I was at the recent concert in Ottawa and had to leave abruptly and unexpectedly after Matt finished playing.  I heard I missed out on a duet of Hello Time Bomb...did I miss out on anything else?

What did you guys think of the concert?  I am having a bit of an internal struggle because it seemed like more of a festival show, at concert venue pricing.  I know that Matt has to play the big hits for the less intense of his fans, but felt like I would have at least liked to hear ALL of the new album. 

Edited by Mira Aleta

after looking at the merch on the mg official site I got to thinking.  The shirts don't really encompass anything about the new album or really the Matthew we know and love.  I do love the OK shirt and what it stands for however the other t's not so much.

I do however have some ideas for the fall tour and would love opinions.

A shirt with pics of Matt throughout the years on the front  with the word "decades" on the back and the number 18.  I think this could be a hot seller.

Another   a shirt with pics of men standing at a door.   Men at the Door.  Simple yes  but it also has to do with a song from the current album.

Another idea   a comic style shirt  with pics of a redheaded girl, fireworks, and said girl screaming.  The back of the shirt would say "this is night"

Another idea   a shirt with pics of numerous villians on the front. They would be small with a bigger pic of Matt in the center.  The shirt would say "bad guys win"

These are ideas I cooked up in 2-3 minutes  but think they would make for great merch and make MG some cash.  Thoughts?

after looking at the merch on the mg official site I got to thinking. The shirts don't really encompass anything about the new album or really the Matthew we know and love. I do love the OK shirt and what it stands for however the other t's not so much.

I do however have some ideas for the fall tour and would love opinions.

A shirt with pics of Matt throughout the years on the front with the word "decades" on the back and the number 18. I think this could be a hot seller.

Another a shirt with pics of men standing at a door. Men at the Door. Simple yes but it also has to do with a song from the current album.

Another idea a comic style shirt with pics of a redheaded girl, fireworks, and said girl screaming. The back of the shirt would say "this is night"

Another idea a shirt with pics of numerous villians on the front. They would be small with a bigger pic of Matt in the center. The shirt would say "bad guys win"

These are ideas I cooked up in 2-3 minutes but think they would make for great merch and make MG some cash. Thoughts?

Some cool ideas there. Decades shirt sounds really good. I would buy that.

Thank you Steve!

You tube has a cool MG video from Edmonton feb 2017 that was uploaded today.  About 6 or 7 songs on there so far.  Great quality too!!

uploaded by me haha.

The sound wasn't that great, i think i was in the too close bubble, and then I lost the videos.Then found them saved in the cloud. I think the only other one I have yet to fix is Born To Kill

I just split up girl's recording into the separate tracks. and resynced her audio onto the videos.