Williammunny11

Geek U.S.A. (podcast) discusses 'all things' Matthew Good

Hey everyone,

This week my buddy Carl and I decided to discuss Matthew Good's career on our podcast Geek U.S.A.

We run through his catalog and give our thoughts and impressions on his work as well as discuss Something Like A Storm.

https://soundcloud.com/geek-usa/episode-54-matthew-good

I am obviously a huge fan and have been wanting to discuss Matt for a while; this new record presented us with a good opportunity.  Thanks in advance to anyone who listens and I hope you enjoy our stroll down musical-memory lane.

James

I listened to your podcast.  I share a lot of the same feelings you discussed about MGB/MG.  Been a fan since Underdogs.  The one thing I wanted to mention is that I am a huge Afghan Whigs fan and I just discovered them earlier this year.  I know they've been around since the late 80's/early 90's, I've heard their name before but I just never gave them a chance.  Then I did and my God are they amazing!  I feel I've missed out on a huge chunk of epic music for years.

I saw them for the first time in concert about a month ago and they rock their asses off, amazing show.  I met Greg and John before the show, unbelievably nice guys.  They have become my 1B after Matthew Good who stays 1A for my all-time favorites. 

The Whigs are kinda similar to MG where you either love them or you don't know them or care for them.  Both of them have some of the most unique music I've ever heard.  I feel the Whigs and MG are two artists that when someone asks who do they remind you of its very hard to answer because they are so original.  They do not really sound like anyone else specifically.

Great podcast. What I hate about podcasts and radio though is that sometimes I'd like to get into the conversation ha ha!

I don't get the obsession with Peter Criss' solo record though. Is that an inside joke or does he really like it that much?  :P

Edited by Tips

Thanks for the feedback guys!

The Peter Criss thing goes back to our recent KISS podcast (which I highly recommend)...and it's not so much an inside joke as much as it is simply Carl's ongoing benchmark for sonic quality.

I listened to your podcast.  I share a lot of the same feelings you discussed about MGB/MG.  Been a fan since Underdogs.  The one thing I wanted to mention is that I am a huge Afghan Whigs fan and I just discovered them earlier this year.  I know they've been around since the late 80's/early 90's, I've heard their name before but I just never gave them a chance.  Then I did and my God are they amazing!  I feel I've missed out on a huge chunk of epic music for years.

I saw them for the first time in concert about a month ago and they rock their asses off, amazing show.  I met Greg and John before the show, unbelievably nice guys.  They have become my 1B after Matthew Good who stays 1A for my all-time favorites. 

The Whigs are kinda similar to MG where you either love them or you don't know them or care for them.  Both of them have some of the most unique music I've ever heard.  I feel the Whigs and MG are two artists that when someone asks who do they remind you of its very hard to answer because they are so original.  They do not really sound like anyone else specifically.

I highly recommend Dulli's The Twilight Singers as well...the records sound very much in line with the last two Whigs albums and are a fantastic find!

I highly recommend Dulli's The Twilight Singers as well...the records sound very much in line with the last two Whigs albums and are a fantastic find!

Yes.  I've listened to them as well.  I would say Powder Burns was the best of their album but I know I need to give them many more listens.

Well done.

I was listening up to 29:00 but to be honest, 29:02 was a turnoff. You have your facts wrong. From my understanding, It was an accident (wrong dosage) and there was no intent.

Edited by girl

Well done.

I was listening up to 29:00 but to be honest, 29:02 was a turnoff. You have your facts wrong. From my understanding, It was an accident (wrong dosage) and there was no intent.

Indeed there were facts that were wrong here and there. When it comes to music it's not so bad but that would have deserved a bit more research given the subject. Matt said to George Stroumboulopoulos on CBC that it wasn't intentional at all, he just didn't know what he was doing given his mental state, the amount he ended up taking and the multiple beers he was drinking at the same time. 

Edited by Tips

Guest Idioteque

I haven't seen anything indicating Matt tried to commit suicide, that's a heavy word considering the recent deaths of Chester & Cornell. 

Yikes!

First and foremost, I obviously misspoke during the podcast and I apologize for that.  In addition, I have seen to it that the segment in question has been edited out.

The idea of doing this specific topic was a personal one for me.  I am obviously a huge fan of Matt and so I couldn't think of a better way to help promote his new album than by using our platform to discuss his career (and hopefully expose his genius to a larger audience).

So, with that being said, you can imagine my horror when I read through this thread this morning.  It was not at all what I was expecting.

My initial thoughts: "Did I say that?"  "No...I didn't say that...did I?"

But unfortunately I quickly realized that "Yep...I did". 

And while I think that the point I was trying to make was to highlight Matt's diagnosis and urge people to watch his Tedtalk, the word 'suicide' was simply an inexcusable brainfart. 

Not that this excuses it, but I would like to offer this: sometimes trying to distill a large topic down into a fluid, long-form conversation can lead to mental errors (we occasionally jumble band member names, song titles, etc... not unlike a parent sometimes accidentally calls their child the wrong name).  Usually the other person is there to catch the mistake...in this case, I was supposed to be the authority so the statement wasn't challenged.

I never want the takeaway from our podcast to be anything other than good vibes.  If someone was offended or turned off then again, I apologize.

And much more importantly, the gaff has been edited out so future listens will not perpetuate what I said.

Thank-you to anyone who has listened and especially to those that pointed out the error. 

Edited by Williammunny11
  • Upvote 1

Now if you had said he attempted suicide, that would be different.

Ya, this is what I was referring to. I guess I was vague before. It's a heavy word. I didn't want to bring it up.

It's all good now.