Peeterr

Biggest Regret as an MG fan

I've been searching for the Lights of Endangered Species vinyl for years, cause I stupidly didn't buy it when it originally came out. I have Avalanche and am incredibly thankful I was smart enough to buy it when it was release. Lights is probably tied for my favourite album (with Avalanche). Copes of Lights sell for $114CDN on Discogs.

And here I am, kicking myself.

My biggest regret is not attending a show from the most recent tour.  It would have been a lifetime highlight to see BM in its entirety.  I didn't pull the trigger because I feel I couldn't justify the expense of it (travel, hotel, etc).

I've been searching for the Lights of Endangered Species vinyl for years, cause I stupidly didn't buy it when it originally came out. I have Avalanche and am incredibly thankful I was smart enough to buy it when it was release. Lights is probably tied for my favourite album (with Avalanche). Copes of Lights sell for $114CDN on Discogs.

And here I am, kicking myself.

I don't mean this to come across the wrong way, and I know many people are in different states of financial situations, but if Lights is your favourite album is $114 completely cost prohibitive? I mean what was it originally $40 or so I think I paid at the show.  I mean it is alot of money, but if it's your favourite album and all, $114 dollars is like skipping going to McDonalds ten times, or skipping a couple nights out to the bar.  I dunno I feel like that cost is not insanely prohibitive to the point it would prevent me from buying my favourite album.  Avalanche is one of my favourites, and I didn't buy one until like a year ago.  I had seen copies sell online for as much as $500 dollars which is a little more cost prohibitive for sure, but I came across one in a record store for $150 and it was a no second thought purchase.  I love that album, I can always make another $150, I might not be able to always buy a copy of one of my favourite records, and if I treat it well I could have it the rest of my life, unlike somethings I spend money on which are gone in a flash.  If you love the record that much, try and sock away $20 a week or so and in like 6 weeks it would be yours.  

As for biggest regret, I really regret not going to earlier MG shows.  I got into his music in 1998 and just never really thought about going to live shows.  I was only 11, but I had gone to a few other concerts at that point.  Stupidly, I wouldn't attend a show until 2008.  I mean I probably could have seen Beautiful Midnight and Audio of Being era shows, but I certainly could have seen Avalanche era and White Light, plus the original acoustic tours.  Some of my favourite bootlegs come from that time frame and I just kick myself for not getting more into Matt's music at that point and going to some of those amazing shows! 

Edited by adam_777

Utica, NY. I believe it was 2001 and a local radio station had an arena show with the bands Cold, Staind, and Godsmack.  After I had purchased tickets the station announced MGB would be playing a club show after, bring your stub from the first show and get in for like $3 or something insanely cheap.  We arrived at the after show and waited....and waited...and waited to get in.  

The club was at capacity and they weren't letting anyone in.  Beautiful Midnight had just been released in the states and frankly I was kind of surprised at the turnout. So we sat outside in the cold for a while listening to the MGB play, it was cold so we eventually left.  Of course the band broke up soon after and I never got to see them.  I've seen MG many, many times since, but I still kick myself for missing this show and my only opportunity to see the MGB.  Hindsight...oh well.

Guest Idioteque

Unfortunately no Jess. By the time I checked craigslist the ad was 20 days old, I still responded to it asking if he sold it but I never got a response, so probably.

I would have given it to someone on the bored had I bought it, 2 is enough.

Seriously? MGB played in Utica?  Totally would have been worth the drive.

My regret is that a friend in college worked for a radio station in Poughkeepsie, heard BM and then burned a copy of the songs for me, out of order, and seemed disjointed so while I enjoyed it I wasn't that interested.  I wish that when I heard it I ran out, got the album, listened to it the way it was meant to be heard and looked for a concert to go to back then.  Instead I didn't picked up an actual copy of the album until after they broke up, realized how much I was wrong and missed out.

Edited by yensid

Looking/feeling like an idiot when I met the band. When I ran the official French mgb.com I was invited to meet them backstage at their Montreal show. I remember several little things that I wish had been different (bear in mind I was just a 17 year old kid at the time, with social anxiety and, although bilingual, I never really spoke in English in my day to day life) :

• I got there alone like a loser because no one I knew liked MGB...

• When I got backstage, I just sat on a chair until I could gather my little courage to go see the band. I remember Matt's "Who the fuck is that?" face when he walked in.

• Matt was looking for the city in which a radio station was based and asked me... I was 17 and surrounded by MGB, some crew, Treble Charger (plus Greig Nori didn't look like he was OK with me being there in the first place)... they were all looking at me so I kind of lost my ability to speak and someone answered for me...

• I took (very bad) pictures of the show with my 24 exposure film (that's how we took pictures at the time kids) and ended up only being able to take pictures with Matt and Rich... I actually had to decline pictures with Ian and Dave... "oh I'm out of film"... bravo...

• A picture of a very very overexcited me with Matt (which I never share online because I show more teeth than I actually have on it, it's just ridiculous)

• Matt had told me he would bring me on stage for the show (which he used to do during that tour sometimes) and when Christi Thompson, Matt's assistant at the time, called showtime, she brought me with her at the soundboard all the way in the back and I followed in silence instead of telling her what Matt said...

Of course I was a kid but still I wish I had handled the situation a little better. There were tons of great moments from that night though. Copyright and MGB were playing pranks on each other and at some point Matt and Rich told me to follow them to the sidestage. When Copyright's drummer hit the snare, a crap ton of flour flew in the air. To get back at them, the very sexy keyboard player (a big hairy dude) came to dance in a speedo while MGB were playing. Fun times! :)

Seriously? MGB played in Utica? Totally would have been worth the drive.

My regret is that a friend in college worked for a radio station in Poughkeepsie, heard BM and then burned a copy of the songs for me, out of order, and seemed disjointed so while I enjoyed it I wasn't that interested. I wish that when I heard it I ran out, got the album, listened to it the way it was meant to be heard and looked for a concert to go to back then. Instead I didn't picked up an actual copy of the album until after they broke up, realized how much I was wrong and missed out.

The pitfalls of the cd burning days haha. BM had a decent amount of space between some tracks and I remember burning an extra copy and it had the 5 second gaps in it. Even longer time in between tracks and I didn’t realize for quite some time ha.

- The first time I met Matt at a meet and greet on the LOES tour, I sat next to him for the picture and I was paralyzed with fear. I tried to say "Hi, my name is Andrew" and no sound would come out. I left and was kicking myself for about an hour. 

I feel like I made up for this, when during the question and answer format for the VIP for the CN tour I was able to blurt out a question about what he would want to say to today's history students (I'm a teacher), given he once wanted to be a history teacher. It was pretty damn awesome.

- On the tour to promote In A Coma back in 2005 (?), I went to the Toronto show at the Phoenix and saw a crush of people rush to the bus at the side of the building. I could have probably met him that time if I hadn't also been paralyzed with apprehension haha.

- Not seeing a show on the Arrows tour because I was broke and in Teacher's College. It's the only tour I have missed/where I haven't been to at least two shows and I wish I had gone!

I searched for a copy of low-fi b-sides for about 15 years. When I finally found it, it was from a guy I'd known for nearly a decade. If I'd mentioned that I was a fan even once during that timer I probably could have had it for that span when Matt would do meet and greats. Getting harder these days.

I couldn't afford to travel for the AOD tour. Last minute a free show was booked in Buffalo and my sister offered to fly me up for it but I felt bad taking her up on the offer. She went and I regret not going.

Meeting Matt at the Jackson Triggs Winery show and being too awkward to barely say anything.

I wish I had gotten into his music earlier.  My brother has been a fan for a lot longer than me, and I missed out on a lot of good shows.  Never saw the original MGB perform.

I always liked his music, but never really got into it, apart from what was on the radio.  I think I really got into it just after In A Coma, and haven't missed a tour since.  

Seriously? MGB played in Utica?  Totally would have been worth the drive.

My regret is that a friend in college worked for a radio station in Poughkeepsie, heard BM and then burned a copy of the songs for me, out of order, and seemed disjointed so while I enjoyed it I wasn't that interested.  I wish that when I heard it I ran out, got the album, listened to it the way it was meant to be heard and looked for a concert to go to back then.  Instead I didn't picked up an actual copy of the album until after they broke up, realized how much I was wrong and missed out.

Yea, my neighbor attended the show. 

Did you have the Canadian or American version of BM? I picked he album up in Canada before it was released in the states, never bought the American version. That would impact the album "flow" as well.

The pitfalls of the cd burning days haha. BM had a decent amount of space between some tracks and I remember burning an extra copy and it had the 5 second gaps in it. Even longer time in between tracks and I didn’t realize for quite some time ha.

The burned cd went from Giant to Suburbia to something like Machine Gun....just totally random and disjointed. The gaps between songs when burning CD's was always a mystery.  I'd set it for zero and it'd still feel like a pregnant pause between songs when on the actual album it'd flow seamlessly.

Yea, my neighbor attended the show. 

Did you have the Canadian or American version of BM? I picked he album up in Canada before it was released in the states, never bought the American version. That would impact the album "flow" as well.

Some fan I am, I didn't know there was a difference, I'll have to check when I get home, I bought it online and I don't remember where it shipped from.  Is there an easy way to tell?  What's the difference between the two?  

I wish I could have gone to the Arrows Of Desire show here in Edmonton, but it was Nov 14, 2013, and I got married Nov 23, 2013. Not that that is a regret, other than missing a show, haha don't want that to sound bad!

So money was a bit tight/tied up in other things that year.

Mostly would just be missed shows I think. 

Some fan I am, I didn't know there was a difference, I'll have to check when I get home, I bought it online and I don't remember where it shipped from.  Is there an easy way to tell?  What's the difference between the two?  

The American release has a parental advisory on the front. Songs from Underdogs replace some songs too.

Deep Six (listed as Deep 6ix) replaces I Miss New Wave,
Apparitions replaces Let's Get It On,
Going All The Way is replaced by Everything Is Automatic, BUT placed between The Future Is X-Rated and Born To Kill.

A Boy and His Machine Gun and Born To Kill titles are censored on the tracklisting. (A Boy And His ------- ---, Born To ----)

Some songs are mixed differently. The back cover has slightly different artwork for the top portion.
http://mattgood.plastic-soldier.com/artwork/beautifulmidnight.php - Canadian release artwork
Edited by PlasticSoldier

Yeah, same as everyone else. Not seeing MGB live. I was probably 11 when Everything Is Automatic came out. Loved MGB right off the bat then, but I was still too young to go to shows. When I was a bit older for BM, I was just a poor kid with no money. Once AOB came around, I was super ready but then as everyone know it just never happened.

But really I don't regret anything. Once I was able to, I never missed an opportunity to see him. Yeah, MAYBE not buying some of the vinyls.

I regret not seeing more full band shows. I probably had the resources to see the Vancouver, LOES, or Arrows tours but I just didn't make it happen. Prior to 2007 I would say it would have been difficult for me to have traveled to Canada since I was in my early 20's and wouldn't have known what I was doing. But yeah I wish I would have seen some of those late 2000's, early 2010's tours.

The first time I did see him though I flew to Buffalo by myself in October 2007 for the Club Infinity solo acoustic show. It's still probably the best show I've ever seen, just because of how different of a thing it was for me to do to fly somewhere alone when I was 22, and because of what the show itself and the music meant to me. I slept overnight at the airport and went home the next day. Got delayed and ended up in 2 different cities before getting home to NY about 8 hours later than scheduled. Wouldn't have changed anything about that weekend.

Edited by Gomo

I regret not seeing more full band shows. I probably had the resources to see the Vancouver, LOES, or Arrows tours but I just didn't make it happen. Prior to 2007 I would say it would have been difficult for me to have traveled to Canada since I was in my early 20's and wouldn't have known what I was doing. But yeah I wish I would have seen some of those late 2000's, early 2010's tours.

The first time I did see him though I flew to Buffalo by myself in October 2007 for the Club Infinity solo acoustic show. It's still probably the best show I've ever seen, just because of how different of a thing it was for me to do to fly somewhere alone when I was 22, and because of what the show itself and the music meant to me. I slept overnight at the airport and went home the next day. Got delayed and ended up in 2 different cities before getting home to NY about 8 hours later than scheduled. Wouldn't have changed anything about that weekend.

Boy Who Could Explode and Great Whales were pretty impressive live....would love to see those songs come back again. And I gained a new appreciation of the song LOES after seeing it on tour. Wish I could find a video of it somewhere.

Boy Who Could Explode and Great Whales were pretty impressive live....would love to see those songs come back again. And I gained a new appreciation of the song LOES after seeing it on tour. Wish I could find a video of it somewhere.

The Vancouver tour was the first time that I was really blown away by Stu.  I don't know if that was his first tour with Matt or not, but Great Whales of the Sea is one of my favourites because of seeing it live.  Stu going nuts on the extended outro they did was so incredible.  

I wish that album, as a whole or individual tracks from it, got more love.  I'd rank that album pretty high on my list.