Peeterr

Biggest Regret as an MG fan

I guess I'd echo many of the others here: missing out on live shows during earlier periods in MG/B history. I got into it when I was a high school kid in Oregon. I think it was around 2003 and his music influenced me probably more than any other artist in my 8000+ song music collection. But I couldn't have traveled to Canada at the time and his few shows in the US tended to be in 21+ venues. I don't think I was finally able to attend an MG show till the Vancouver tour so I missed a lot. It's why I was so pleased with the Beautiful Midnight revisit, felt like there was my chance to experience some of that.

Another one for not seeing MGB, not seeing MG until the WLR&RR tour, not seeing any shows again until the LOES tour, and missing the only tour I think I've missed since, the IMNW one, which would've been my opportunity to hear some deep cuts from the BM days.

I suppose I'm lucky to have been to any MG shows, considering how difficult it is for some of you stateside fans to catch a show.

Gotta say, seeing the WLR&RR show at the Marquee was one of the best birthday presents I've ever gotten, and perfect for my 19th birthday. Hundreds of people crammed into a smaller venue, broken beer bottles everywhere, singing along at the top of my lungs and not being able to hear myself with everyone else singing, seeing Matt Good and the band so close up that you could practically feel the sweat coming off them. Good times. Nothing like your first real concert, especially when it's MG. And although I've seen him in bigger venues, after seeing him in the same place for the CN tour, I can confirm the Marquee Club is still my favourite venue.

Edited by Devil On Rollerskates

I don't mean this to come across the wrong way, and I know many people are in different states of financial situations, but if Lights is your favourite album is $114 completely cost prohibitive? I mean what was it originally $40 or so I think I paid at the show.  I mean it is alot of money, but if it's your favourite album and all, $114 dollars is like skipping going to McDonalds ten times, or skipping a couple nights out to the bar.  I dunno I feel like that cost is not insanely prohibitive to the point it would prevent me from buying my favourite album.  Avalanche is one of my favourites, and I didn't buy one until like a year ago.  I had seen copies sell online for as much as $500 dollars which is a little more cost prohibitive for sure, but I came across one in a record store for $150 and it was a no second thought purchase.  I love that album, I can always make another $150, I might not be able to always buy a copy of one of my favourite records, and if I treat it well I could have it the rest of my life, unlike somethings I spend money on which are gone in a flash.  If you love the record that much, try and sock away $20 a week or so and in like 6 weeks it would be yours.  

As for biggest regret, I really regret not going to earlier MG shows.  I got into his music in 1998 and just never really thought about going to live shows.  I was only 11, but I had gone to a few other concerts at that point.  Stupidly, I wouldn't attend a show until 2008.  I mean I probably could have seen Beautiful Midnight and Audio of Being era shows, but I certainly could have seen Avalanche era and White Light, plus the original acoustic tours.  Some of my favourite bootlegs come from that time frame and I just kick myself for not getting more into Matt's music at that point and going to some of those amazing shows! 

In all honesty, I just can't fathom to spend that much money on vinyl. I'll eventually find it at a decent price, i'm sure.

Yeah for me it was definitely missing MGB perform. All of his shows where I grew up were 19+ and I was just too young. I think I was 17 when he played Edgefest right after that band broke up and this was the first time I saw him live. Was dope hearing all those reworked tunes though! I still love that version of Symbolistic White Walls.

I also regret missing Arrows of Desire tour. This might be my favourite MG(B) album.

Not seeing a solo acoustic show...

Not gonna lie, you're probably going to get the chance to do that again. Matt always seems to speak highly of those kinds of shows due to the freedom it affords him in terms of song choice. And I have no doubt the margins are better as well!

• Upvote 1

Not gonna lie, you're probably going to get the chance to do that again. Matt always seems to speak highly of those kinds of shows due to the freedom it affords him in terms of song choice. And I have no doubt the margins are better as well!

I'm surprised it hasn't happened already again.  I mean I know he has done a few one offs but its been over a decade since a full acoustic tour.  Given that Matt speaks so highly of the experience, and how he explains the costs of touring with a band and the lack of rehearsal time to have more varied setlists I really am stunned its been so long.  I just missed seeing the 2007 acoustic tour, but fortunately for me I got to see shows in the States and a couple solo acoustic in Vancouver in 2012 and 2014.  But those 2006/07 tours really were special with long shows and amazing setlists and I'd definitely like a chance to see something like that again. The thing I'm looking most forward to at the moment though is the idea Matt's kicked around for a couple years of doing like a multi night stand where he plays through a cross section of his entire career with a ticket price exceeding $100.  That I think would be truly fantastic.  

I regret not taking the time to try and see an MGB show in the late 90's. I was 17 in 2000 living in Edson Alberta.  I had a job and money, however I was not very knowledgeable when it came to going to shows.  I could have seen them in Edmonton or Jasper, but I don't know why I didn't.  I was a huge fan...  if I could go back, I would have made the effort.  I think though unless you lived in those bigger cities it was harder back then for a 17 year old to find out where they were going to play and when.

I'm surprised it hasn't happened already again.  I mean I know he has done a few one offs but its been over a decade since a full acoustic tour.  Given that Matt speaks so highly of the experience, and how he explains the costs of touring with a band and the lack of rehearsal time to have more varied setlists I really am stunned its been so long.  I just missed seeing the 2007 acoustic tour, but fortunately for me I got to see shows in the States and a couple solo acoustic in Vancouver in 2012 and 2014.  But those 2006/07 tours really were special with long shows and amazing setlists and I'd definitely like a chance to see something like that again. The thing I'm looking most forward to at the moment though is the idea Matt's kicked around for a couple years of doing like a multi night stand where he plays through a cross section of his entire career with a ticket price exceeding $100.  That I think would be truly fantastic.  

Yes, I agree with all the assertions and inklings you've written about here. Luckily I was able to see him twice on the Nothing to Hide Tour, and once acoustic at the Live Banter with Jay Baruchel. May have been a family/obligation thing too, not touring as often, whereas in 2007 that was pre-children and he maybe felt like he could be away for longer.  

I want to highlight my enthusiasm for the mega-show with the price being over $100 also. Would definitely ensure I saved up my ducats to see that!

I saw MGB at least a dozen times back during in the day. My first really big arena show was the MGB/Moist/Gob tour back in... 1999, I think. I was a superfan in high school but kind of fell out of track with Matt's music from Hospital Music to Chaotic Neutral. Something about "All You Sons and Daughters" pulled me back in and of course Beautiful Midnight Revisited is a huge nostalgia trip. MG's music is making it back into my regular rotation again.

My regret is that gap I missed. I've been trying to backfill that era in my discography and finally tracked down an LP of Arrows of Desire and it sound like this would have been a killer album to hear live.

• Upvote 1

As a personal rule, I'm not much for regrets...that being said, other than a passing interest in the late '90s (Beautiful Midnight), I lost track of Good's music until about ten years ago. As I outlined in another thread, I rediscovered his music by way of his solo career and have been a huge 'first day' fan ever since. So, as it pertains to this thread, my biggest (and only) real regret is having missed out on experiencing a (99 - 2009) decade of amazing releases in real time.