steve

Obscure Audio of Being Packaging Question

Hi All,

I have a pretty obscure question regarding the packaging for The Audio of Being (CD). 

Many moons ago when I bought it (it was the one with that cool lyrics booklet and art, not sure if that was standard or a special version), I remember there being some part of the packaging that included one line from each song on the album -- usually one that stood out quite a bit for one reason or the other. I recall 'The Fall of Man' being "You pray for the sheep", for example. Anyway, it had one of those lines for each song. I don't think it said which song each was from, but just had 12 lines total. 

But I have no idea what part of the packaging it was -- its not in the lyrics booklet and I never found it again, which makes the whole thing really strange to me, since it means I likely threw it out somehow.

There is also an above 0% chance this never existed and I somehow invented it along the way, but it has stuck with me for so many years that I thought I would see if any of you could help or if this sounds even vaguely familiar to any of you.

Thanks so much!

I have the special edition with the "a pleasurable headache" lyric booklet.   I may be wrong but I think when you take the cd out it has the lyric in the case.  I haven't looked at it in years though.  You are right though there is a lyric included.

I just checked because I had easy access to the discs at my house. 

Kept (black)

in the (grey)

Dark (white)

That stuff is on the spines. Under the disc is just crew/recording info. On the inside of the spine, it says "help us get rid of the Matthew Good Band" which I either never noticed or completely forgot about. There is no difference in the content of the booklet or what's under the disc in any of the 3 versions. I believe "A Pleasurable Headache" came with the first X number of copies sold, and those versions may have also had a cardboard sleeve to put the disc + Headache together, but if that's the case, I know I lost my sleeve years ago.

From a radio interview Matt said there were 50 000 copies that were Limited Editions. Those had the cardboard sleeve, that is just the front and back artwork in only black colouring.

Not sure if this is what you are remembering but there was a section on the official MGB site that had sections named after part lyrics or references to the album

(listed here: http://mattgood.plastic-soldier.com/trivia-audioofbeing.php)

small-keptinthedark.png

spine2.png

Artwork

blackhttp://mattgood.plastic-soldier.com/audioofbeing.php

greyhttp://mattgood.plastic-soldier.com/audioofbeinggrey.php

whitehttp://mattgood.plastic-soldier.com/audioofbeingwhite.php

"A Pleasurable Headache?": http://mattgood.plastic-soldier.com/apleasurableheadache.php

Edited by PlasticSoldier

Thanks all! I appreciate the help. I also had 'A Pleasurable Headache', forgot what it was called. So it seems like what I was thinking of maybe really was somehow my own invention, but all of this was cool anyway, haven't looked through the album in over a decade. I love how he/they used to sneak in little easter eggs all over the place. The writing on the Beautiful Midnight cover and the poem at the back of the Avalanche lyrics come to mind too. 

Thanks again! 

I just checked because I had easy access to the discs at my house. 

Kept (black)

in the (grey)

Dark (white)

That stuff is on the spines. Under the disc is just crew/recording info. On the inside of the spine, it says "help us get rid of the Matthew Good Band" which I either never noticed or completely forgot about. There is no difference in the content of the booklet or what's under the disc in any of the 3 versions. I believe "A Pleasurable Headache" came with the first X number of copies sold, and those versions may have also had a cardboard sleeve to put the disc + Headache together, but if that's the case, I know I lost my sleeve years ago.

I remember the day that I bought the album at "Music World" (wow, so long ago jesus), and both editions were available. My parents were going through a confusing phase of caring when music featured curse words (even though they swore all the time- hence my confusion), so I decided against the special edition because I didn't want any "evidence" of the swear words.

I really regret it now, of course.