Any thoughts on the Pumpkins tour that was announced today?  Kind of disappointing no D'arcy Wretzky but bringing back James Iha is super cool for the nostalgic me.  Other than that its the same lineup but your getting the first 5 albums played only,  They are making a stop in Toronto, just might grab the old high school buddies for this one.  I know some people are super against it and others take it for what it is, but I always enjoyed those older songs so it's all good from my end.

There's always nostalgia involved when these bands get back together for these reunion tours.  I like their music, but I'm worried seeing them perform again would tarnish that memory.  I donl't know how good they will sound live again.

The individual band members wouldn't make or break it for me, as long as Billy was involved.  

Saw them in 2008 around the Zeitgeist era. They were great. Jimmy was still the drummer at the time. He's gotta be one of the best drummers on the planet. I was able to get two tickets for this reunion tour at Madison Square Garden on August 1st. Me and my brother are very excited. He's 8 years older than me and grew up on the Pumpkins, and he got me into them many years ago. Sucks about D'arcy but she's had a tough life and her absence shouldn't stop them from doing this tour with Jimmy and James.

Edited by Gomo

Got up to Toronto for the smashing pumpkins show last week. Really enjoyed it. They have been off my radar for awhile and was fun to relive a lot of these songs. Over 3 hour show! 

Anyone else make it to a show? Gomo how was NYC? That wasnt the 30th anniversary show was it? 

Also anyone have any era of the band they like most? Gonna start searching out some old live shows. 

The August 1st show at Madison Square Garden was one of the best shows I've ever seen. I am bias because I am a big Pumpkins fan, but it really was awesome. They sounded incredible, Billy's vocals were great, the lights and video stuff were awesome, and the setlist was just amazing. For Martha and To Sheila back to back!. It was so cool to see James on stage, and he played Blew Away! 3 hours of pure bliss. I couldn't have asked for more.

And Jimmy Chamberlain is, for me, one of the best goddamn drummers that ever lived.

Mellon Collie is probably the best era. But I really like Adore. Very underrated.

Edited by Gomo

I saw their Edmonton show last night (final stop on the North American tour).  I've never seen the Pumpkins live before and a 30+ song set that lasted for over 3 hours is quite the introduction!  I may not have appreciated some of the songs played but it was a fun show and I definitely got my monies worth.  

I recorded the show and if anyone is interested you can find the full concert on Dimeadozen and also have a song sample below.

• Upvote 2

Your recording is real good gursky. Def one of the better ones I heard this tour. Thanks

Only the second time I seen them but first with James Iha. Surprised you never made it out to a pumpkins show! Glad you enjoyed. Some of my buddies were struggling during the real slow stuff with piano, so I get it. But for 3 hours, can’t beat it.

Anyone get a chance to listen to the new SP album?  Wasn't exactly what I expected.  Personally the first track really turned me off.  But I do like Silvery Sometimes and Search And You Shall Destroy.  A couple of the others are pretty good too.  But short album and not the return to form I was thinking.  Maybe I just got nostalgic from the show I seen over the summer and it couldn't be matched.  Still glad 3/4 of the band is rocking together again.

Edited by Stwlegend

On 3/28/2019 at 11:15 AM, Williammunny11 said:

I tried to get into this last album, but it just did nothing for me. Even with Billy and James, the record felt less like a SP album and more like a Billy Corgan solo release.

Here's hoping that they continue to record together though.

Agreed, seems like the material was already written.  Not even sure how much James Iha really even played on it, nothing real distinctive that screams him.   Hopefully the followup material will be more collaborative.  Lots of touring together happened since this last one was made.

17 hours ago, Moonlight_Graham said:

Pumpkins doing more shows this year.  Would love to see them.

Looks like a new album is coming this year too.  Watched some clips on YouTube and I don't think they lost any steam since the reunion, definitely worth going if you can.  

On 9/10/2018 at 9:36 AM, gursky said:

I recorded the show and if anyone is interested you can find the full concert on Dimeadozen and also have a song sample below.

Any chance you’ll post this recording on archive.org?