jaydee

2018 Vinyls - April 6th

Guest jjazz

It says that avalanche is on backorder on the official store. Also, the loser anthems bsides artwork is up there now. It's what I expected. Loser anthems on the front, bsides on the back, but with reworked MGB font type.

I pre-ordered via Amazon and they got delivered today. I'll snap some pics when I get home from work if anyone wants to see.

Holy shit. Efficient AF. I bought one from Musicvaultz and the other from the MG store (mostly because I hedged the first time and shouldn't have dammit)

I mean, I love coloured vinyl, but I was only about to justify Lofi/Loser and AoB. I own Avalanche from 2003 and Matt signed it when I met him, so it's pretty much my prized possession. I may rock a white one if someone is willing to buy it for me ....

Signed is always makes them special haha

The musicvaultz took the payment way back when I preordered so adding the white into the order was easy as today is payday. Although the wait until end of May will be like "come on already!!!"

And I justify it (to myself) with my putting it on Disorientation as a service to those that can't afford it and want to see what it all looks like ;)

Avalanche album art is the same as the initial limited edition run (despite what Amazon shows!) and I am pretty sure is the same tracklisting as that release, but I'm not about to pull my copy out of the frame it's in. Double gatefold. If anyone is concerned about buying an original run of the Avalanche vinyl on ebay or something later on, the current release has the musicvaultz logo on the backside and that will be an easy way to distinguish it.

Audio is NOT a double gatefold, despite it being a 2LP release. 3 songs per side, in album order. Black cover. Album art is the same as the CD release with some of the images rearranged on the disc sleeves and one new piece of art as well.

Loser Anthems/Lo-fi is basically what you see on the store page plus some new art for the disc sleeve.

Here's a link to a google drive folder with some pictures I took of the new art for Audio/Loser Anthems and the images in the centre of the discs themselves!

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1k8q80rHs9P9cwjHcNDAkQ5c3DE31lF1Q?usp=sharing

Edit: the store page for Avalanche says "Bright End To Nowhere" but the record shows the correct title.

Edit 2: Audio plays at 45 RPM, Avalanche/Loser Anthems and 33 1/3

Edited by AnOceanPearl

Thanks for the info, thats interesting about the different playing speeds, I wonder why they would do that? I really like the cover artwork and think they made some very interesting choices.  I love that the panda is featured on the inner sleeve of Loser Anthems, I always thought that promo artwork with it was kind of cool because it completes the reference to Pink Floyds Animals although with a standard humourous MGB twist.  Can't wait to give these a spin once I pick them up.  Kind of interesting the deal with Avalanche.  The black vinyl version is only different from the original in that it has a musicvaultz logo? I know it was a production issue, but its funny that Avalanche now has three different releases on vinyl, and Audio of Being which could have had three versions with the different colours instead just has one.  

I wonder when musicvaultz is shipping... still no updates. kind of annoying when they made them...

I know it was a production issue, but its funny that Avalanche now has three different releases on vinyl, and Audio of Being which could have had three versions with the different colours instead just has one.  

I was thinking the same thing about that for amount of versions of Avalanche compared to Audio Of Being

Avalanche album art is the same as the initial limited edition run (despite what Amazon shows!) and I am pretty sure is the same tracklisting as that release, but I'm not about to pull my copy out of the frame it's in. Double gatefold. If anyone is concerned about buying an original run of the Avalanche vinyl on ebay or something later on, the current release has the musicvaultz logo on the backside and that will be an easy way to distinguish it.

What is the interior artwork? Track order is the same as original.

This is the original if you want to compare http://mattgood.plastic-soldier.com/vinyl-avalanche.php

I uploaded pics of the interior stuff. All the lyrics are one of the sleeves, credits on the other. The song title Near Fantastica is not bolded like the rest of the titles lol

Edit: I uploaded pics to the folder I previously linked in case anyone was confused about that.

Edited by AnOceanPearl

On April 7, 2018 at 12:36 AM, PlasticSoldier said:

I wonder when musicvaultz is shipping... still no updates. kind of annoying when they made them...

I was thinking the same thing about that for amount of versions of Avalanche compared to Audio Of Being

What is the interior artwork? Track order is the same as original.

This is the original if you want to compare http://mattgood.plastic-soldier.com/vinyl-avalanche.php

This is a slight change that I am not sure if anyone has noticed yet, but based on Ocean's photos and the images on Chad's website/owning the original Avalanche pressing myself, the design on the vinyl itself is different.

On the 2003 pressing, the first vinyl had tracklisting on side A with a blue background and the blue avalanche logo on side B, and the second vinyl had the tracklisting on side C with red background and the red avalanche design on side D. The new ones just have the blue avalanche design on side A and B and the red on side C and D. 

Of little consequence, I know, haha  but still (one of several) a handy indicator as to the different editions.

On April 6, 2018 at 10:26 PM, adam_777 said:

Thanks for the info, thats interesting about the different playing speeds, I wonder why they would do that? I really like the cover artwork and think they made some very interesting choices.  I love that the panda is featured on the inner sleeve of Loser Anthems, I always thought that promo artwork with it was kind of cool because it completes the reference to Pink Floyds Animals although with a standard humourous MGB twist.  Can't wait to give these a spin once I pick them up.  Kind of interesting the deal with Avalanche.  The black vinyl version is only different from the original in that it has a musicvaultz logo? I know it was a production issue, but its funny that Avalanche now has three different releases on vinyl, and Audio of Being which could have had three versions with the different colours instead just has one.  

Correct me if I'm wrong (anyone), but that typically has to do with the size of the physical piece of vinyl doesn't it? My record player has a minimalist design, for instance, where I have to switch the timing belt to an alternate spool depending on the speed/size of the record. BM Revisited is a great example of this ...

Is the physical vinyl more the 45 size for Loser ... or is it still standard size?

I feel so lucky I got them all on release day. They sound great. I'm especially impressed with Audio and I am hearing my favourite album in a whole new light. Some of the more subtle and ambient sounds (think the outro vocals in Advertising, the reverb on the guitars in the Fall of Man, some of the phaser on the guitar in Influence, the background "have me some gun" in chorus 3 of Protest Song) and the more powerful moments of the record (the final "if this is us in control of our selves", "love's not enough", "no pain, no gain, no pain") really really stand out and it just makes me really happy. 

8 minutes ago, AnOceanPearl said:

I feel so lucky I got them all on release day. They sound great. I'm especially impressed with Audio and I am hearing my favourite album in a whole new light. Some of the more subtle and ambient sounds (think the outro vocals in Advertising, the reverb on the guitars in the Fall of Man, some of the phaser on the guitar in Influence, the background "have me some gun" in chorus 3 of Protest Song) and the more powerful moments of the record (the final "if this is us in control of our selves", "love's not enough", "no pain, no gain, no pain") really really stand out and it just makes me really happy. 

When I first  heard a couple years back that Matt wanted to release his entire catalog on vinyl the album I immediately thought would most benefit from this was Audio of Being.  I know some here disagree, but to me there is so much ambient atmosphere to that album, so much depth and layers that could be brought out in a remaster for vinyl.  I havent had a chance to listen to that album yet, but after hearing how amazing Beautiful Midnight sounded on the format I seriously cannot wait to hear Audio.  

Loser Anthems and Lo-Fi I have listened to and man oh man, those three acoustic songs at the end of Loser Anthem sound so crisp and beautiful.  Just listen to Matt's breathing at the start of Flight Recorder From Viking 7, or the low whispered vocals, it's like Matt is sitting in the room whispering those words into my ear, makes the hair on my neck stand up.  I really love that release.  I was worried those two EP's wouldn't see a release on vinyl, I'm so glad they were, some truly fantastic often overlooked parts of Matt's catalog.  

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, adam_777 said:

Just listen to Matt's breathing at the start of Flight Recorder From Viking 7, or the low whispered vocals, it's like Matt is sitting in the room whispering those words into my ear, makes the hair on my neck stand up.  I really love that release.  I was worried those two EP's wouldn't see a release on vinyl, I'm so glad they were, some truly fantastic often overlooked parts of Matt's catalog.  

Just that right there and advertising has me super excited to hear these. I will have to wait a few months until we are moved into the new house and I have my player set up in place but oh man, I can not wait. 

16 hours ago, AnOceanPearl said:

16 hours ago, adam_777 said:

When I first  heard a couple years back that Matt wanted to release his entire catalog on vinyl the album I immediately thought would most benefit from this was Audio of Being.  I know some here disagree, but to me there is so much ambient atmosphere to that album, so much depth and layers that could be brought out in a remaster for vinyl.  I havent had a chance to listen to that album yet, but after hearing how amazing Beautiful Midnight sounded on the format I seriously cannot wait to hear Audio.  

Loser Anthems and Lo-Fi I have listened to and man oh man, those three acoustic songs at the end of Loser Anthem sound so crisp and beautiful.  Just listen to Matt's breathing at the start of Flight Recorder From Viking 7, or the low whispered vocals, it's like Matt is sitting in the room whispering those words into my ear, makes the hair on my neck stand up.  I really love that release.  I was worried those two EP's wouldn't see a release on vinyl, I'm so glad they were, some truly fantastic often overlooked parts of Matt's catalog.  

I am both excited by Ocean's feedback and in complete agreement that I was/have been most excited to hear AoB on vinyl ... it has an intangible ambience that I don't feel many other albums can touch. I can still remember listening to the CD on repeat in my room when I was in high school on repeat and trying to parse the intimate, Easter egg- like little idiosyncrasies that make this album special ... I quite enjoy the ones mentioned, but the one that has always affected me the most is the slow strumming in the outro to SOAP  and the final "Oooooooooh" near the top of Matt's singing register. This is clearly me ascribing more meaning than was intended, but in knowing that this was the last song to appear on the last ever "Band" release, I have thought it very fitting that it ends with Matt just singing solo on an acoustic guitar. Even if he/they didn't know it at the time, it's the most beautiful foreshadowing ...

Just received my records today. Not sure if it's been mentioned but the artwork on the original Avalanche pressing is slightly larger front and back cover than thatnof the new version. The track listings are the same order but labeled differently as well. The label on the spine is also reversed. 

Edited by mackie1023

On 4/6/2018 at 10:27 AM, crthiel said:

Has there been any word on these going up in the official store? That's always been the best way to order for those of us stateside.

They are available on Matthew Good's website if that is what you are referring to. They have been on Amazon's Canadian site for several weeks. I am in Pennsylvania and ordered all three. AOB and LA said they will be available at the end of April but Avalanche will not be until the last week of May. My guess is that all three will ship at the end of May. Avalanche looks like it's holding the rest up.

5 hours ago, GuitarmanMCS said:

They are available on Matthew Good's website if that is what you are referring to. They have been on Amazon's Canadian site for several weeks. I am in Pennsylvania and ordered all three. AOB and LA said they will be available at the end of April but Avalanche will not be until the last week of May. My guess is that all three will ship at the end of May. Avalanche looks like it's holding the rest up.

Thanks man. I saw that they came available shortly after I ordered them from the musicvaults website in the original post. 

All of the records showed up today and they had free shipping to USA. I am also in Pennsylvania!