borntohula

I thought Matt Good hated OLP...

They played a show together back in the summer of 2015 in Sylvan Lake, Alberta. I guess they talked a bit there. Plus I thought Matt said something in the past about Duncan having helped record some of the Massey Hall show back in 2008, and I know him and Jeremy were friends for a bit anyways as Jeremy did a drum solo during his Not So Private Banter concert with Jay Baruchel back in 2014. 

I think you are right Adam. I have the full recording. I believe I posted it here awhile back. If not I can gladly upload it if anyone needs it.

Keep in mind - the full recording of the 2007 show isn't Duncan's. It's an audience recording. (If I'm not mistaken, there are two audience recordings of that show.) Three tracks from Duncan's recording surfaced, all on the iTunes Canada release of Vancouver (one of the three was a pre-order-only bonus).

Keep in mind - the full recording of the 2007 show isn't Duncan's. It's an audience recording. (If I'm not mistaken, there are two audience recordings of that show.) Three tracks from Duncan's recording surfaced, all on the iTunes Canada release of Vancouver (one of the three was a pre-order-only bonus).

you are exactly right. There are 2 audience recordings. The sound is amazing on both I believe. I get the Massey shows confused sometimes however, I have never heard a bad bootleg of a Massey Hall show no matter the band or the taper. Great acoustics

• Upvote 1

Seems to me also that the original animosity was between Matt and Mike Turner, who hasn't been in the band now for 15 years. I agree with the Sylvan Lake thing, apparently hatchet was buried there.

Was Turner animus to Matt? He didn't seem to be animus when he addressed Matt's comments about OLP on Much. OLP was asked about Matt's comments and Turner seemed to not take Matt's comments seriously and made fun of the situation. I don't know if he's said anything other than that though.

Edited by MatthewGoodFan101

Guest jjazz

That podcast episode is some of the funniest banter I've ever heard. I can't seem to track it down. I've even asked Jeremy a few times. Never had any luck.

I think you are right Adam. I have the full recording. I believe I posted it here awhile back. If not I can gladly upload it if anyone needs it.

Yeah, most likely. I just remembered something about Massey Hall. Couldn't remember the exact date. 

Was Turner animus to Matt? He didn't seem to be animus when he addressed Matt's comments about OLP on Much. OLP was asked about Matt's comments and Turner seemed to not take Matt's comments seriously and made fun of the situation. I don't know if he's said anything other than that though.

I agree. I never heard anything about Mike having said anything negative before or after that. Matt himself has even admitted to being in the wrong with that whole thing on account of it being more the result of a side vent related to his frustration with regards to all the inner band turmoil with MGB. 

https://soundcloud.com/cfoxvan/raine-maida-and-matthew-good-on-putting-old-feuds-to-rest-and-touring-together

No offense to the guy who wrote this, but wow....someone needs to learn to have some of their own opinions.

Edited by daniel_v

That article linked to another one where they say "Then he failed to show up to collect the two awards his band won at the 2000 Junos, explaining that the merit of his "art" needn't be subjected to arbitrary judgment." which Matt never said... Jesus the press just loved to picture him as a dick. He always said that about art in general not HIS art. 

i wrote that! thanks for the bump, anton! 

No offense to the guy who wrote this, but wow....someone needs to learn to have some of their own opinions.

??? the whole article was about the dissonance between matt's coming around/making nice with them and my own opinion of how they still suck? sure his opinion informed my own, i say as much in the article, but just because matt's friendly with them doesn't mean i'm about to start. 

Jesus the press just loved to picture him as a dick. 

phrasing! though you're half right. i think matt fed off of the press he got from being contrarian as much as the press fed off of his contrarian opinions. even today he does not couch his words, which is both a blessing and a curse. it's not an either/or situation  

??? the whole article was about the dissonance between matt's coming around/making nice with them and my own opinion of how they still suck? sure his opinion informed my own, i say as much in the article, but just because matt's friendly with them doesn't mean i'm about to start. 

You know what, I apologize man. That was a comment by myself that wasn't needed and I really do need to learn to be less judgmental. You wrote an honest and in-depth piece and the fact that you're still not a huge fan, despite Matt changing his tune, proves it is your own opinion. Music is subjective and everyone is allowed to have their own tastes. Nothing wrong with agreeing to disagree.

Kudos on getting the article published. 

i wrote that! thanks for the bump, anton! 

phrasing! though you're half right. i think matt fed off of the press he got from being contrarian as much as the press fed off of his contrarian opinions. even today he does not couch his words, which is both a blessing and a curse. it's not an either/or situation  

Nah, I don't think he fed off of it. I think he sometimes just had unpopular opinions and never shied away from them. He was never really comfortable with attention in general so I doubt he would actually feed off of it.

That being said though, in this particular case, I was referring to the fact that they quoted him as saying HIS art didn't need to be subjected to arbitrary judgment as if he was this Artist with a capital A that thought he was the best thing since sliced cheese. Yet he always said that about art in general not HIS art and meant that it was a ridiculous that the quality of art depended on getting trophies and American recognition and so on because art should be appreciated on its own merit. If that's not intentionnaly trying to picture him as a dick...

Edited by Tips

I never realized it until Anton's post  but how cool would an episode of Family Feud be with MGB vs OLP!!  Pure nostalgia at it's best.  OLP would be Mike Turner era as it is probably the only way they would win. 

It's too bad the Calgary Sun started that whole thing. That's a low point for our city. Mike Bell(?)'s interview sliced and diced Matt's words and put them out of context. They totally blew his "sliced bread" comment out of proportion. I like the clip of Mike Turner's reaction to it in the Story of MGB documentary. He joked about having a cocktail with Matt.

Edited by girl