daniel_v

So I got to perform with OLP- looking for feedback

This might seem like a strange statement/question, but over the years I've come to realize there is a difference between what someone who creates something sees/hears and what someone watching/listening hears. When I was younger I would write and record stuff that I thought was just fantastic...until I'd listen to it a few years later and realize it was out of tune and time. I once even recorded a cover of Giant which was heard by around 1000 people online before I realized, despite the instrumentals being good,  the vocals were not really in tune with the rest of the song, (something I really wish someone would have had the heart to tell me before hand, hahaha). I've gotten better with that kind of thing over the years, but I'm sure I can always learn more.

Anyways, with regards to the subject of this post, due to OLP being a pretty damned cool bunch of guys, they put up a package through Pledge Music this tour that allowed fans to play a song with them during soundcheck if they wanted. I decided to purchase said VIP package because...well, it's OLP and they're not only legendary, but probably one of the most influential bands in my life (plus I wasn't sure if they'd ever do this again).

Long story short, I got to meet the band and play my own made up lead guitar on Superman's Dead. Everyone was incredibly down to earth, friendly, and inclusive. With regards to the performance, with the exception of a few slight mistakes, I think I managed to do everything I meant to without doing anything drastically embarrassing. Steve and Raine both seem interested in what I had done afterwards and the audience politely cheered after the song.

Thing is, like I said, for me there is usually a difference between what I hear and what others hear and I don't know if Steve, Raine, and the audience were actually interested or just being polite because they're a bunch of nice people. 

So, I figured I would post this here to get some honest feedback. I'm not looking to be coddled or praised, but mainly am just interested if anyone who takes the time to listen/watch this can tell me if how I played/performed was adequate or if there were issues that can be clearly noticed. Not gonna hurt my feelings if there as I'm really just looking to get a gage of where I am right now as a musician and constructive criticism is always helpful when it comes to improving. 

My guitar was a little low on the volume side so it's admittedly a little difficult to hear at times. We start playing at the 4:15 mark (Steve was enamored by my dad's guitar that I was playing so he kept asking me questions about it for two minutes which led to me having to keep taking my ear pieces out to hear and answer, lol). 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Hjl-TGTtVZUXFs8DNDgim6q3QX95N8AN/view

(Credit to Girl for being super awesome and recording this for me). 

• Like 1

I'm not technical when it comes to music, so unless it is super bad I don't really pick up on it always, and so to me, in the video it looked and sounded good 

And hey when it's band members that keep asking you questions rather than the other way around that's got to be quite the win there

I think that'd be nerve racking playing with a band you grew up listening to/inspires you/and all that good stuff. I know it was a much smaller crowd that a full show being VIP, but still that's crazy.

Very cool! Glad you were able to do it, because that in itself is an awesome experience! (And holy cow expensive).

Awesome, I can hear you pretty well at the end doing a cool lead part. I thought that was great, it stuck out to me when watching, in a good way. Some of the other parts it’s tougher to hear but I certainly wasn’t alerted to anything odd. You looked like you were having a great time.

I'm not technical when it comes to music, so unless it is super bad I don't really pick up on it always, and so to me, in the video it looked and sounded good 

And hey when it's band members that keep asking you questions rather than the other way around that's got to be quite the win there

I think that'd be nerve racking playing with a band you grew up listening to/inspires you/and all that good stuff. I know it was a much smaller crowd that a full show being VIP, but still that's crazy.

Very cool! Glad you were able to do it, because that in itself is an awesome experience! (And holy cow expensive).

Lol, I'll be paying it off on my credit card for a bit, no doubt. 

The crowd thing wasn't too bad. I really am used to making an ass of myself in front of people so that didn't bother me, haha. What was more on the back of my mind was screwing up in front of the band, but like I said, they were all really friendly and inclusive (before and after considering I met Duncan and Jason in the elevator on the way down to the lobby before the show and that Raine was still willing to make time to talk after the performance). I had to laugh at Raine getting bothered by me mentioning Mark Whalberg's name at the start, lol.

But yeah, it was definitely fun and surreal. Thanks for the feedback! 

That's a really cool experience!  I'm sure it was worth it, regardless of how you played.

I would say so. Got to go in way early and set up my equipment. Afterwards I was literally the only person in the venue other than the sound crew (who were all awesomely helpful and friendly guys), got to watch them set up, and then watch Jason and Duncan practice to backing tracks of deep cut songs I hadn't heard for a while as they waited for Raine and Steve :)

Awesome, I can hear you pretty well at the end doing a cool lead part. I thought that was great, it stuck out to me when watching, in a good way. Some of the other parts it’s tougher to hear but I certainly wasn’t alerted to anything odd. You looked like you were having a great time.

Right on, that's good then. That was the hardest part so if I was going to screw up majorly anywhere, it would have been there. Good to know. And thanks for the kind words, Stwlegend. Glad it sounded decent. It was definitely fun and humbling to play with guys with that much experience and talent. 

Edited by daniel_v

This might seem like a strange statement/question, but over the years I've come to realize there is a difference between what someone who creates something sees/hears and what someone watching/listening hears. When I was younger I would write and record stuff that I thought was just fantastic...until I'd listen to it a few years later and realize it was out of tune and time. I once even recorded a cover of Giant which was heard by around 1000 people online before I realized, despite the instrumentals being good,  the vocals were not really in tune with the rest of the song, (something I really wish someone would have had the heart to tell me before hand, hahaha). I've gotten better with that kind of thing over the years, but I'm sure I can always learn more.

Anyways, with regards to the subject of this post, due to OLP being a pretty damned cool bunch of guys, they put up a package through Pledge Music this tour that allowed fans to play a song with them during soundcheck if they wanted. I decided to purchase said VIP package because...well, it's OLP and they're not only legendary, but probably one of the most influential bands in my life (plus I wasn't sure if they'd ever do this again).

Long story short, I got to meet the band and play my own made up lead guitar on Superman's Dead. Everyone was incredibly down to earth, friendly, and inclusive. With regards to the performance, with the exception of a few slight mistakes, I think I managed to do everything I meant to without doing anything drastically embarrassing. Steve and Raine both seem interested in what I had done afterwards and the audience politely cheered after the song.

Thing is, like I said, for me there is usually a difference between what I hear and what others hear and I don't know if Steve, Raine, and the audience were actually interested or just being polite because they're a bunch of nice people. 

So, I figured I would post this here to get some honest feedback. I'm not looking to be coddled or praised, but mainly am just interested if anyone who takes the time to listen/watch this can tell me if how I played/performed was adequate or if there were issues that can be clearly noticed. Not gonna hurt my feelings if there as I'm really just looking to get a gage of where I am right now as a musician and constructive criticism is always helpful when it comes to improving. 

My guitar was a little low on the volume side so it's admittedly a little difficult to hear at times. We start playing at the 4:15 mark (Steve was enamored by my dad's guitar that I was playing so he kept asking me questions about it for two minutes which led to me having to keep taking my ear pieces out to hear and answer, lol). 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Hjl-TGTtVZUXFs8DNDgim6q3QX95N8AN/view

(Credit to Girl for being super awesome and recording this for me). 

First and foremost, the experience seems like it was amazing. When you rock out at the end during the 'subway' part, that must've felt amazing. 

Constructive feedback; the bits that I could hear during the verses were a little noodly - not that this is a bad thing per se, just sort of reminiscent of the lead playing on Neil Young/Crazy Horse records (not tonally, but style wise). The bit at the end added a nice dynamic that I felt was worthwhile, and all in all you weren't off-time or off-base at all. Sounded good.

First and foremost, the experience seems like it was amazing. When you rock out at the end during the 'subway' part, that must've felt amazing. 

Constructive feedback; the bits that I could hear during the verses were a little noodly - not that this is a bad thing per se, just sort of reminiscent of the lead playing on Neil Young/Crazy Horse records (not tonally, but style wise). The bit at the end added a nice dynamic that I felt was worthwhile, and all in all you weren't off-time or off-base at all. Sounded good.

Yeah, like I said to plasticsolder, it was pretty surreal. That's about the only word I can think of to describe it. Getting to play with musicians of that kind of talent, experience, and influence was something else.  

And thanks for the constructive feedback and nice comments about the end. Honestly, while I tried to make it different from what he did, it was pretty much all inspired by Joel Shearer and the work he did with OLP back in 2005/2006. Obviously I'm nowhere near as an accomplished guitar player as him, but the lead guitar work he did on Superman's Dead added so much depth to what already was a great song, it made me realize how much could be done with it given that the song is, at is essence, a very stripped down and raw piece of beauty. 

Edited by daniel_v

7 hours ago, Sly Botts said:

What's Raine's issue with Mark Wahlberg?

Just a complete guess/speculation on my part, but Raine and his wife are fairly liberal/progressive individuals when it comes to politics. Absolutely nothing wrong with that, but Mark is a bit more center/right and has been known to generally shun the Hollywood, left style politics that most in that area are a part of. Given the recent controversy surrounding him getting paid waaaay more than Michelle Williams for the reshoot of "All the Money in the World" (something I considered just simple business since he is more popular, and thus higher paid in general, than Michelle) I kind of wondered if Raine and Chantelle considered him an example of unfair male dominance in the industry. 

Again though, complete speculation on my part and I have no evidence to back that idea up. I never asked Raine about it afterwards as I wasn't interested in starting an unnecessary debate, lol. It's just the only reasoning I can think of unless Raine has actually met him in person in the past and just had a bad experience (which, given where Raine lives, wouldn't be impossible by any means now that I think about it). 

Edited by daniel_v
  • Like 1