Guest girl

Matt's Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram accounts are gone.

On 11/23/2017 at 9:11 AM, uglyredhonda said:

But in the 15 years I've been a fan, my biggest frustration with MG's psyche is how destructive he can be when he gets upset. I think the long-timers here will remember how often he used to delete his blog wholesale.

To me: if you're that upset, log off and walk away. Change your account email to something bullshit, change your password to random characters. (I've done this, btw.)

It happened again: Twitter, Instagram, Facebook group

Matt, social media, and ignorant people who don't do their research don't mix.

It's probably a good time to take a social media detox.

Edited by girl

Big move by Matt. I'm thinking that he did this because he has problems with certain comments on his social media pages. If that is the reason, I think this action is completely unnecessary. If he doesn't want to see or he doesn't want people close to him to see certain comments, he can disable commenting on those SM pages. Getting rid of those SM pages completely does a great disservice to himself and his fans. It's a disservice to himself because by having no SM accounts, it makes it harder for himself to promote his music, merchandise and concerts, which means potentially less money for him. And it's a disservice to his fans because we can't read his intelligent and thoughtful comments and writings that we love so much. He doesn't have to post them if he doesn't want to, but that's no reason to get rid of those SM pages. Plus, Matt is making it harder for his fans to connect with him beyond the music. He's distancing himself from his fans, and that's not a smart move when his whole career is based on him having fans and people buying his music, merchandise and concert tickets. I know he got into this business to make music and not to be a celebrity, but sometimes you can't have your cake and eat it too. If he wants to continue to make a decent living making music, he needs to embrace things that he may not like. If he doesn't want to do that, he can try to make a living doing something else, and we all strongly hope he doesn't do that.

Does anyone else wanna comment on this?

Edited by MatthewGoodFan101

16 hours ago, girl said:

It happened again: Twitter, Instagram, Facebook group

Matt, social media, and ignorant people who don't do their research don't mix.

It's probably a good time to take a social media detox.

I just tried to dig myself out of a hole in a thread on the MG fan Facebook page, so I'll avoid some of that discussion, but I'll note this:

That he deleted the FB page concerns me the most. That one wasn't used for "personal" stuff like the Twitter or IG - that one handled promotions. His management can't be very happy about all of this right now.

And, not that I want details - but was it more personal attacks over stuff that probably shouldn't be talked about in public? I think the biggest damage caused by him doing this is the not knowing why - we end up with fans squabbling over whether it was okay for him to do it or not.

42 minutes ago, MatthewGoodFan101 said:

Can you give any details on what that was about?

I said basically what I said before about his reactions to trolls - that his tendency to scorch the earth (as has happened repeatedly over the last 15 years) isn't a reasonable response. Trolls will exist anywhere he goes - wiping accounts won't solve the problem.

I noted that it's often felt like narcissism - that he loves the interaction when people validate his personal shares, but then he burns the house down when it upsets him (ie, when someone gets too personal and crosses a line). Someone correctly noted that that was an unfair analysis - that, since we don't know exactly what happened, there could have been a protectionary reason for it happening. It was also noted that a scorched-earth move could be more of a bipolar/manic reaction to distress than narcissism, which would be more understandable (if, for me, not any more acceptable) in Matt's case.

The others were more openly forgiving of this happening than I was (which is fair). With me, I feel for everything he's been going through in the last year, but this kind of thing has never helped him. It's far better to dial your interaction back and call the authorities in if someone gets out of line. But keep the lines of communication intact. People care about him - this just makes it feel like he doesn't care about them in return, even if he seemingly does.

There are a lot of people who have used his writings on bipolar disorder to help them through their own struggles. And, right or wrong, he took all of that away from them. For someone who frequently leads on mental health, it's a terrible thing for him to do - even if there were acceptable reasons for doing it.

And, for me, it's not really about his leaving social media. It's the wholesale destruction. For example, I didn't mind him bailing from NF in November. What I had a problem with was his abusing his Admin privileges to wipe out 10 years of posts. Some people have defended his doing that, saying that he was giving us those posts - but he didn't owe us anything, and had a right to remove them. But, to me, it's like giving someone something then destroying it in front of them. It says that you didn't value those interactions.

But, again, we don't really know what happened, and this might have been more of a short-term fix for a bigger problem.

(Disclaimer - this is a much more nuanced version than what happened on FB.)

Edited by uglyredhonda

Sure, why not. First off, I only heard rumors of what was posted. People can be cruel, insentive a-holes. As someone who has been a fan for nearly 20 years, I feel I can speak freely on this and with the ability to back it up. 

Matt is a lyrical and musical genius. I would gladly argue I am one of his biggest fans in the U.S. However, when you open yourself up, especially your personal life on social media...you can expect a backlash. Then he goes and removes himself from NF a while later because he felt it was too invasive in his personal life. No big deal. I remove myself from social media quite a bit as well, as it’s overwhelming.

That being said, you cannot have your cake and eat it too. Matthew Good posted about his social life frequently and then gets pissed when someone takes it too far.

That being said, deactivating your accounts and cowering isn’t much of a defense. Why not block the prick? Why not make a fool out of him in turn? We all know Matthew Good isn’t shy and doesn’t hold back his feelings. 

My whole point is that if you open your personal life up on social media, as he did...you have to expect an occasional a-hole to try and take it too far.

I hope for his sake that he comes back. I love his music and his thoughts, even though I frequently disagree with his politics, I greatly, greatly respect his opinion. He’s a smart man. I hope he can get over this and get a thicker skin.

Edited by Crusader
  • Like 1

I've split this topic from the tour thread and merged it all into one.

If things get out of hand, I will lock this thread.

Going to remind folks to please not discuss or speculate on MG or the band's personal lives on the forums.

Thanks

10 hours ago, uglyredhonda said:

I said basically what I said before about his reactions to trolls - that his tendency to scorch the earth (as has happened repeatedly over the last 15 years) isn't a reasonable response. Trolls will exist anywhere he goes - wiping accounts won't solve the problem.

I noted that it's often felt like narcissism - that he loves the interaction when people validate his personal shares, but then he burns the house down when it upsets him (ie, when someone gets too personal and crosses a line). Someone correctly noted that that was an unfair analysis - that, since we don't know exactly what happened, there could have been a protectionary reason for it happening. It was also noted that a scorched-earth move could be more of a bipolar/manic reaction to distress than narcissism, which would be more understandable (if, for me, not any more acceptable) in Matt's case.

The others were more openly forgiving of this happening than I was (which is fair). With me, I feel for everything he's been going through in the last year, but this kind of thing has never helped him. It's far better to dial your interaction back and call the authorities in if someone gets out of line. But keep the lines of communication intact. People care about him - this just makes it feel like he doesn't care about them in return, even if he seemingly does.

There are a lot of people who have used his writings on bipolar disorder to help them through their own struggles. And, right or wrong, he took all of that away from them. For someone who frequently leads on mental health, it's a terrible thing for him to do - even if there were acceptable reasons for doing it.

And, for me, it's not really about his leaving social media. It's the wholesale destruction. For example, I didn't mind him bailing from NF in November. What I had a problem with was his abusing his Admin privileges to wipe out 10 years of posts. Some people have defended his doing that, saying that he was giving us those posts - but he didn't owe us anything, and had a right to remove them. But, to me, it's like giving someone something then destroying it in front of them. It says that you didn't value those interactions.

But, again, we don't really know what happened, and this might have been more of a short-term fix for a bigger problem.

(Disclaimer - this is a much more nuanced version than what happened on FB.)

Yeah, I was the one taking you to task on the FB page. Sorry, Chris, I want to assert that I respectfully disagree with your position and only respond to you with such zeal because I think we all care about Matt and want him to be okay.

I'll repeat my remarks for posterity here:

As much as I agree that historically he has indeed reacted to certain comments with anger, I did see the comments that were posted on his Instagram before he removed everything. This is much different. The person in question was brazenly and destructively making personal comments and speculation to the point that ANY logical person might've been turned off by social media as a result. I will absolutely not reproduce them here because they were disgusting beyond words. 

Again, deleting his interactions with us here or in other locales I don't think suggests that he did not care about those interactions. In fact, when he left here, he sent a statement to Anton that spoke positively about the beneficial aspects of being apart of this community. Matt has been more accessible than artists typically are over the years, and unfortunately this has opened him up to those who would exploit that for attention or to get a rise out of him. We absolutely have no entitlement to personal interaction from him; that I myself have sent him private messages on social media and he has responded to me personally, for instance, is something that I will always cherish no matter what has happened.

Matt is the most important artist in my life, and he always will be. I think it's up to us, as his die hard fans, to stand behind him during this difficult time, context be damned. I miss his presence here, and if he chooses to minimize his social media presence in the future, I will miss that, as well. But I have his music, and I have the twenty plus shows I have been to, and I have the remarkably positive interactions from him when he was around.

And I have the overwhelmingly positive experience of being apart of this fan community; that, while we can disagree as to the form or motivations of Matt's newfound  absence from social media, the reason we're even talking about it is just because we just want him to be okay. We care about him. And he deserves it.

Edited by andydanger85
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, GuitarmanMCS said:

Could the home page be a message?

The OK hoodie on the front page?  That's been there a while.

The links to his social media are all gone from the site too.  It must be endorsed or at least approved by his management then.

In my personal opinion, it sucks that he deleted everything, but I can understand why he did.  Trolls can sometimes drive me insane.  There are options to avoid it though.

I've found his posts about building Lego to be highly entertaining, and very relevant to me.  My son is the same age, and we bond over Lego frequently.  I'm sure people who look to him as a role model in their dealings with personality disorders would be very frustrated with this.  

The big thing for me about his social media is that the positivity way outnumbered the negativity.  I didn't see whatever the offending post was, and I'm sure it was bad, but there's far more good out there than bad.

And now, that troll is empowered because he pissed Matt off enough that he deleted everything.  In that way, the troll wins.

I used to blog and tweet about Quebec politics and social issues and stopped largely because of all the anger I received. At some point, the hatred online becomes vicious and violent and it's hard to just stand up and not let trolls win. I've had several "Ahh fuck that shit" moments when I torched my Twitter account completely and came back months later (I've had 3 or 4 different Twitter accounts since 2010) in the last decade because of that. Now, when I tweet, I talk about tech and no one bothers me anymore.

For a celebrity like Matt, it's much worst than my experience because of the sheer number of people who know who he is. He's always been very direct and honest in what he thinks even if it's not the popular opinion. So in that respect, I'm sure we can't begin to fathom the amount and the ferocity of the comments he probably endured before doing this.

Chris I completely understand what you mean but you have to keep in mind all the things we don't know.

I hope he comes back but I can completely understand him going "fuck it". If he's not happy using social media, then it's better he doesn't.

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, andydanger85 said:

Yeah, I was the one taking you to task on the FB page. Sorry, Chris, I want to assert that I respectfully disagree with your position and only respond to you with such zeal because I think we all care about Matt and want him to be okay.

Oh, you were totally fine. I actually prefer that kind of discussion - I'd rather someone be vocal about how they feel and make me rethink my opinion.

2 hours ago, hoogie said:

The links to his social media are all gone from the site too.  It must be endorsed or at least approved by his management then.

I did social media for a major label band (who most of you would know) for a number of years, and, if my client had done this, I would have removed the links from the website myself once I knew that they were dead. The last thing I want from a PR standpoint is for people to follow those dead urls, especially if it were possible that someone else could scoop up the usernames on those accounts. Not to say that it wasn't endorsed or approved in this case - but it wouldn't have to be.

Chris I completely understand what you mean but you have to keep in mind all the things we don't know.

That's actually what was good about our discussion. I'll freely admit that my initial reaction was: "Ugh, not this shit again." The NF deletion hit close to home as someone who spent years running message boards, and I'm (obviously) still a bit fired up about it. So it's good to have the pushback from those who see it differently.

I'll say this: I'm definitely concerned for him, not knowing what's going on. But, to me, that's also part of the problem. A simple note from his team ("Matt's decided to take a break from his social media accounts to give himself time to recover from the recent tour with OLP and to get himself ready for the upcoming summer tour dates, but he wants everyone to know that he's fine.") would have knocked most of this discussion down. Instead, everyone's hand-wringing for the not-knowing.

Edited by uglyredhonda
  • Like 2

On 4/30/2018 at 6:49 AM, hoogie said:

The big thing for me about his social media is that the positivity way outnumbered the negativity.  I didn't see whatever the offending post was, and I'm sure it was bad, but there's far more good out there than bad.

And now, that troll is empowered because he pissed Matt off enough that he deleted everything.  In that way, the troll wins.

This. Well said. 

I see it from both sides though. I get where both you and UglyRedHonda are coming from, and I agree overreactions are unnecessary/unhealthy, but I also acknowledge not having bipolarity, and not being famous, that I have no idea what it's like to put myself out there and have others be able to judge me and try to frame other's perceptions of me.

Indeed, I wish he wouldn't let other people's perceptions of him get to him (because choice is a choice), but at the same time, even as a non famous, regular person, I get how stressful social media can make a person and have considered deleting both my Twitter and Facebook profiles in the past just to get away from the constant arguments and perception views that I think others might have of me. In fact the only reason I haven't is because I think having dialogue with others about political issues is a worthwhile pursuit.

Personally though, if taking a break from social media is what Matt needs, I actually think it's a great idea. Hopefully it will do his mental well being some good which is the only thing at the end of the day any of us should care about. 

Edited by daniel_v
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, daniel_v said:

This. Well said. 

I see it from both sides though. I get where both you and UglyRedHonda are coming from, and I agree overreactions are unnecessary/unhealthy, but I also acknowledge not having bipolarity, and not being famous, that I have no idea what it's like to put myself out there and have others be able to judge me and try to frame other's perceptions of me.

Indeed, I wish he wouldn't let other people's perceptions of him get to him (because choice is a choice), but at the same time, even as a non famous, regular person, I get how stressful social media can make a person and have considered deleting both my Twitter and Facebook profiles in the past just to get away from the constant arguments and perception views that I think others might have of me. In fact the only reason I haven't is because I think having dialogue with others about political issues is a worthwhile pursuit.

Personally though, if taking a break from social media is what Matt needs, I actually think it's a great idea. Hopefully it will do his mental well being some good which is the only thing at the end of the day any of us should care about. 

For sure.  I'll never try to put myself in his shoes.  Merely my two cents.

On ‎5‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 12:09 AM, Sly Botts said:

They say you should never judge a man until you walk a mile in his shoes... that way, you're a mile away from him and YOU HAVE HIS SHOES! ?

Bahahahaha!  That's hilarious!

I don't know that I have much of a right to comment on Matt stepping back from this site, or his other social media accounts as I was unaware of these occurrences...I was taking my own break from the wide world of web, as I often do.  I will say that I find myself, a trauma survivor, to be in need of pulling back from all things tech related when I'm feeling a bit kicked by life.  It's something that helps me take some time to look within and sort through all of the ridiculous nonsense that comes attached with having a pulse these days. 

I have often pondered my "relationship" with Matt: understanding that I met him once for 10min in person, meaning that we have no personal relationship whatsoever.  That said, I feel as though there is a very personal quality to the way I feel about him, due to the manner in which I have bonded with his music.  These days, I think of his music as a good friend: a stabilising force in my life when all else goes awry, and a source of joy in my quieter, calmer moments.  When everyone else in my support network is inaccessible to me, his music is always there, in a variety of formats, including my memory which can play a wide variety of MG tunes with great aplomb. 

I want to be very clear about the fact that Matt's music is my friend; that I have no right to claim friendship with its creator.  As much as he puts himself into his music, these are very small glimpses into who he is in the moment of the writing of the lyrics and music:  a moment, flash frozen in time;  not a clear indicator of the entirety of the man, himself, nor do I feel this contact affords me the right to comment on any of his life choices.  Any opportunity I have to interact with Matt on social media is a bonus, and I consider it as such. 

I will also mention that I have been, for over a decade now, an adult educator in a variety of different ways, including working in the fitness industry where I am often placed on a stage with people who follow my every move and tend to bond with me in very surprising ways.  I have been at a health clinic getting examined (with, quite literally, my pants down) and been told by the nurse how much my classes mean to her.  I have been at the grocery store and had running commentary about the food in my shopping cart:  for good, or for ill.  I have been recognized at concerts, clubs, stores and gatherings and approached by those who knew me, but who I did not recognise; my time then monopolised by those individuals who feel I am their friend due to the classes they had taken with me.  The total number of people I come in contact with in a month would not approach the number of people at an MG concert, let alone a social media site, though it has often given me pause to consider the way we treat those to whom we assign celebrity. 

I truly believe that each of us has the absolute right to set clear boundaries around our personal emotional space, no matter our celebrity status.  I can understand, having lived in a microcosm of scrutiny, how we may push ourselves to a point of emotional tenuousness in an effort to keep life running 'as usual', to avoid the gossip that springs from what is perceived as 'disappearing', or just because our own internal wellness metre is a bit out of whack due to stressful life events.  I would support anyone in their pursuit of mental and emotional equilibrium, regardless of how artless the 'exit stage left' might appear from the outside; recognising that an abrupt departure may be a sign of the necessity of the exit.

Lastly, I will say that I felt very real care demonstrated in the comments on this thread, as well as a tinge of judgement.  I wonder if the judgement may come from a lack of understanding of the factors contributing to a decision, or the effects it may have on our lives.  The reality is that none of us know exactly why Matt, or anyone else, may make a decision, and while it may be comforting for us to know, or fulfill some curious part of ourselves, it's really none of our business. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mira Aleta said:

Bahahahaha!  That's hilarious!

I don't know that I have much of a right to comment on Matt stepping back from this site, or his other social media accounts as I was unaware of these occurrences...I was taking my own break from the wide world of web, as I often do.  I will say that I find myself, a trauma survivor, to be in need of pulling back from all things tech related when I'm feeling a bit kicked by life.  It's something that helps me take some time to look within and sort through all of the ridiculous nonsense that comes attached with having a pulse these days. 

I have often pondered my "relationship" with Matt: understanding that I met him once for 10min in person, meaning that we have no personal relationship whatsoever.  That said, I feel as though there is a very personal quality to the way I feel about him, due to the manner in which I have bonded with his music.  These days, I think of his music as a good friend: a stabilising force in my life when all else goes awry, and a source of joy in my quieter, calmer moments.  When everyone else in my support network is inaccessible to me, his music is always there, in a variety of formats, including my memory which can play a wide variety of MG tunes with great aplomb. 

I want to be very clear about the fact that Matt's music is my friend; that I have no right to claim friendship with its creator.  As much as he puts himself into his music, these are very small glimpses into who he is in the moment of the writing of the lyrics and music:  a moment, flash frozen in time;  not a clear indicator of the entirety of the man, himself, nor do I feel this contact affords me the right to comment on any of his life choices.  Any opportunity I have to interact with Matt on social media is a bonus, and I consider it as such. 

I will also mention that I have been, for over a decade now, an adult educator in a variety of different ways, including working in the fitness industry where I am often placed on a stage with people who follow my every move and tend to bond with me in very surprising ways.  I have been at a health clinic getting examined (with, quite literally, my pants down) and been told by the nurse how much my classes mean to her.  I have been at the grocery store and had running commentary about the food in my shopping cart:  for good, or for ill.  I have been recognized at concerts, clubs, stores and gatherings and approached by those who knew me, but who I did not recognise; my time then monopolised by those individuals who feel I am their friend due to the classes they had taken with me.  The total number of people I come in contact with in a month would not approach the number of people at an MG concert, let alone a social media site, though it has often given me pause to consider the way we treat those to whom we assign celebrity. 

I truly believe that each of us has the absolute right to set clear boundaries around our personal emotional space, no matter our celebrity status.  I can understand, having lived in a microcosm of scrutiny, how we may push ourselves to a point of emotional tenuousness in an effort to keep life running 'as usual', to avoid the gossip that springs from what is perceived as 'disappearing', or just because our own internal wellness metre is a bit out of whack due to stressful life events.  I would support anyone in their pursuit of mental and emotional equilibrium, regardless of how artless the 'exit stage left' might appear from the outside; recognising that an abrupt departure may be a sign of the necessity of the exit.

Lastly, I will say that I felt very real care demonstrated in the comments on this thread, as well as a tinge of judgement.  I wonder if the judgement may come from a lack of understanding of the factors contributing to a decision, or the effects it may have on our lives.  The reality is that none of us know exactly why Matt, or anyone else, may make a decision, and while it may be comforting for us to know, or fulfill some curious part of ourselves, it's really none of our business. 

Love this. Totally agree with just about every word.

I didn't notice the social media accounts were gone at the time that it happened...you know, I feel as though the things I really want to reflect on and ask would not be encouraged here. So I really feel as though I have no outlet to discuss MG as I genuinely want to. I'll just echo what somebody else said: I hope he's ok.

• Like 1