MatthewGoodFan101

2019 Solo Acoustic Tour

10 hours ago, Rhu8ar8Pi3 said:

Does anyone have any burning questions that they've been dying to ask Matt? Maybe I can help you out at the VIP soundchecks. I can take a maximum of four questions.

I'll do my best, but I can't promise anything.

This was a long time ago that Matt mentioned it (think it was a 2004 Chart Attack article), but I was curious if he still has any interest or drive in doing an electronic album ever in his career? 

21 hours ago, adam_777 said:

Matt specifically mentioned playing Fated at the first night because it was a song requested by a lot of people.  So I do think he does pay attention to that kind of thing.  Back in 2014 he did a couple random acoustic shows in Vancouver and Calgary.  Prior to the shows I messaged him to ask if he had ever considered tackling an acoustic version of A Boy and His Machine Gun and then he randomly played that song for the the two shows on that tour.  The first time he'd played that song in 14 years, and the only two times he ever played it acoustically, so while it may have been coincidence I cant help but think he read my message and thought what the hell I'll give it a shot.  So I do think he sometimes does take suggestions and see if he can work out how to do a song or insert it in the setlist.  

I think you're right too. He may not reply all the time, but he does seem to listen. I brought up a brief discussion about playing Omissions in the original picking pattern that he had played it on the album after he did a chord version during the 2014 September show in Toronto with Jay Baruchel. He actually did reply saying that he felt the song was more about the lyrics than the guitar, but a little while after that he did start playing it the original way it was written. So it is nice that he takes what fans think into consideration even though he doesn't have to.  

Edited by daniel_v

Guest Rhu8ar8Pi3
35 minutes ago, daniel_v said:

This was a long time ago that Matt mentioned it (think it was a 2004 Chart Attack article), but I was curious if he still has any interest or drive in doing an electronic album ever in his career? 

Done! (question #1)

39 minutes ago, Rhu8ar8Pi3 said:

Done! (question #1)

Thanks a lot!

I've only ever heard Matt do one piece that would qualify as close to electronic, and that was the "Globes" background music loop he had on his site sometime in 2004. It wasn't electronic in the sense of "dance electronic" thankfully, but it had an electronic texture to it (if that makes any sense) and it sounded really well created. Almost like a sad, kind of empty feel. Really liked it and wouldn't mind hearing more of that kind of work from him one day.  

Seems to be a bit of a discrepancy in the setlist from the second night.  The one posted here included SIlent Army in The Trees and the one on setlist.fm lists Omissions of the Omen.  Both the set here and at setlist.fm list 14 songs being played, and are identical except for those two songs.  My guess is someone didn't know the song that well and thought it was one or the other, would be interesting to know which was actually played.  If it was SIlent Army, it's great to see the often overlooked Vancouver album get some love again, if it's Omissions, that would mean Matt played three songs from LOTGA in the same show for the first time in what 20 years? Maybe not since 1996. Definitely a huge turn around as in the 38 shows I saw him play between 2008-2017 I only heard one LOTGA songs played which was Omissions of the Omen three times in 2012.  

Interestingly enough neither setlist lists Fine Art of Falling Apart which a user on instagram posted a video of, haha, so really who the hell knows.  

Matt posted the setlist from night one to instagram, but not night two.  Possibly he just didn't think to do it, but I wonder with people mentioning the show was cut a bit short due to curfews if perhaps the printed setlist had additional songs that he had to cut due to time constraints as the North Van show had 14 songs compared to 16 in Sidney.  But I guess with the addition of Fine Art it would make it 15, so really not much difference.  

Edited by adam_777
adding a couple facts

I assume he didn't post it because of the songs he had to cut on the fly.  And my FB source also came back to mention Omissions (same person who said Silent) but she didn't feel comfortable to edit the setlist because she couldn't recall the order anything was played.   He played about 80 minutes night 2, for what it's worth (10pm curfew).  Looks like set 2 is going to remain a mystery! LOL

Don't worry, all - I obsessively update setlist fm so I've got us covered for Brampton, Milton, Richmond Hill, Toronto x2, Kingston and maybe Ottawa and Montreal as well (depends on my health, which is currently not great and might make me bail on Kingston, sigh). 

I really do love that it's becoming the career retrospective show that he mentioned wanting to do someday.  I really miss a lot of songs from Vancouver, so the more the merrier!  Would love to see Vancouver National Anthem resurface.

17 hours ago, Rhu8ar8Pi3 said:

Does anyone have any burning questions that they've been dying to ask Matt? Maybe I can help you out at the VIP soundchecks. I can take a maximum of four questions.

I'll do my best, but I can't promise anything.

If you have room to ask......Being that the Beautiful Midnight Revisited tour was so successful, any plans for another album to get that treatment with a Revisited type album or a full album tour, like maybe Avalanche?  Thanks

I would have loved to come up to Canada to catch one of these shows, but my wife and I have our first baby coming in April so that kind of thing might not be possible for a while. Really glad I came up to Toronto for the Beautiful Midnight Tour when I had the chance in 2017.

Seeing Fearless on a setlist is bittersweet because I'm bummed I'm missing that but really happy he brought it back. If anyone finds a video of it I'd love to hear his rearrangement of it. I searched Youtube yesterday but didn't find anything.

The songs I've seen on the first few setlists tell me that this is gonna be a great tour for longtime fans. I love when artists bring material out of the vault.

Also just want to mention, I feel like I haven't listened to Matt Good much at all for like a year or more. I've been discovering a lot of other new music for a couple years. But the past week I've been listening to Matt again and it's just like hanging out with an old friend. I love the way music can have that effect on you.

2 hours ago, Stwlegend said:

If you have room to ask......Being that the Beautiful Midnight Revisited tour was so successful, any plans for another album to get that treatment with a Revisited type album or a full album tour, like maybe Avalanche?  Thanks

If Matt did this Avalanche would definitely be the album I'd like to see.  But is there any album with as much appeal as Beautiful Midnight? I mean even at Matts shows on this tour he is selling two records Something Like a Storm and Beautiful Midnight.  I just dont think any of his other albums have as much appeal to be as big of a deal as Beautiful Midnight was.  Matt has said he would like to do a tour like that with Lights of Endangered Species. But he really doesnt play any of those songs anymore, it doesnt have a lot of mass love or appeal and he has said repeatedly how touring it the first time resulted in a substantial decrease in his touring revenue.  

Avalanche is a really long album too, Matts longest at almost 70 minutes of just straight music means that this show would be mostly limited to the Avalanche and a two song encore one of which would assuredly be Apparitions.  So it really wouldnt give a great deal of flexibility.  I think another issue with Avalanche is that it isnt spread out as evenly as Beautiful Midnight.  BM has its four big hits interspersed throughout, Avalanche very much has its better known material in the first half, which would result in over half an hour of show time where most fans would be pretty unfamiliar with alot of the material. 

The only other album I think that could be considered for a tour like this is Underdogs, which was very successful as well, and has the pacing similar to beautiful midnight, plus has the bonus of including Apparitions which is the only song that seems to never miss the setlist, which frees up an encore slot.  Also at 57 minutes, Underdogs is quite a bit shorter than BM and Avalanche so its possible to have a five or six song encore, to add a little more flexibility to each show's set.  I dont think he'll tour behind a revisitation like this again, but if he did I think Underdogs makes the most sense.  

Guest Rhu8ar8Pi3
2 hours ago, Stwlegend said:

Sure. (question #2, Red Deer)

9 minutes ago, Rhu8ar8Pi3 said:

Sure. (question #2, Red Deer)

How are they doing these questions, do they send you an email to submit a question for each show you get a VIP for? I am doing VIP for the last show and havent received anything yet, but IM assuming these just get sent out shortly before the show? 

Guest Rhu8ar8Pi3
1 minute ago, foats said:

I would maybe also ask him any plans to release an official live cd/cd's  or dvd. Inquiring minds gots to know!!

OK, I'll ask that too!! (question #3) 

1 hour ago, adam_777 said:

How are they doing these questions, do they send you an email to submit a question for each show you get a VIP for? I am doing VIP for the last show and havent received anything yet, but IM assuming these just get sent out shortly before the show? 

On Sound Rink's website, it says that they will contact you in advance of the show to submit your questions for the Q &A portion of the experience. "Purchasers will be sent an email from [email protected] approximately 4 days prior to show date with information on checking in for VIP, including where and when to show up at the venue." My confirmation email order said that I will be notified via email 3 days before my concert with the time and place to meet.

11 minutes ago, Rhu8ar8Pi3 said:

OK, I'll ask that too!! (question #3) 

On Sound Rink's website, it says that they will contact you in advance of the show to submit your questions for the Q &A portion of the experience. "Purchasers will be sent an email from [email protected] approximately 4 days prior to show date with information on checking in for VIP, including where and when to show up at the venue." My confirmation email order said that I will be notified via email 3 days before my concert with the time and place to meet.

Ok thanks for the info, I assumed it wouldnt come out until a few days before, but since some shows have already happened, thought some here may have been contacted already.  thanks again! 

Hey everyone,

I'm wondering if someone can provide some info on the tour merch? I'm reeeeeally hoping that the tour poster (with the acoustic guitar) will be available as a screen print? Holding out hope for that hardcore!

My brother and I are attending the VIP show at the Starlight Room on March 20. This will be my 10th time seeing Matt (2nd acoustic show, 2nd VIP experience) and I've never, ever been more excited for a show. Trying to think of a poignant question for him!

On 2/3/2019 at 6:29 PM, Gomo said:

I would have loved to come up to Canada to catch one of these shows, but my wife and I have our first baby coming in April so that kind of thing might not be possible for a while. Really glad I came up to Toronto for the Beautiful Midnight Tour when I had the chance in 2017.

Bummer about missing the shows, but congrats on your baby!

My manager finally approved my request for vacation today, so I can confirm that I’m going to all of the Alberta shows. I’m quite excited now. I love that he’s choosing songs that represent nearly his entire career and I can see that expanding as the tour winds on. I’m interested to see how the shows evolve from the ones coming up in the next couple weeks vs. Edmonton and Calgary in March. I feel like there could be a bit of a storyteller vibe happening here.

Edited by NonPopulus

Wow so cool to see Change of Season in there! Surprised he got it going so quick! Some pretty awesome sets on this tour so far. I'm attending the next three nights so really hoping Change of Season shows up for one of them.  

Looks like Omissions was played too so I'm leaning more toward it being the song played on the second night as opposed to Silent Army. With So Long Mrs Smith that means every LP and EP from Matt's career has been represented with the exception of the three in a row from Vancouver-Arrows (assuming the reported Silent Army on night two was a mistake) very cool to see such variety and so far all four shows have featured songs getting tour debuts so there may still be more surprises to come. 

Last night's setlist is exactly what I want for one of my shows.  Change of Season.  And he's played it twice, so he's feeling it.  I'm shaking at the thought I could finally hear this song I have been chasing since 2000.  It means the absolute world to me. 

With every new set, I'm more certain than ever that he's committed to gifting the diehards with a tour to remember.  Look how often Omissions and Rabbits are being played - and conversely, Apparitions isn't nightly, which we know has been a "keeping the casuals content" choice for many a tour (although I'm not yet sick of Apparitions - would trade it for other treasures though)

8 hours ago, likeadeadstar said:

Last night's setlist is exactly what I want for one of my shows.  Change of Season.  And he's played it twice, so he's feeling it.  I'm shaking at the thought I could finally hear this song I have been chasing since 2000.  It means the absolute world to me. 

With every new set, I'm more certain than ever that he's committed to gifting the diehards with a tour to remember.  Look how often Omissions and Rabbits are being played - and conversely, Apparitions isn't nightly, which we know has been a "keeping the casuals content" choice for many a tour (although I'm not yet sick of Apparitions - would trade it for other treasures though)

When has Apparitions not been played? I've seen it on setlist for all four nights