MatthewGoodFan101

2019 Solo Acoustic Tour

19 minutes ago, Rhu8ar8Pi3 said:

I asked your question at the VIP today, Daniel. He said it was a good question and it got him thinking. He said "well done." l will give details soon. 

I think he played Radicals, So Long Mrs. Smith, and How It Goes at the VIP. 

How it Goes! Awesome! So cool to see songs getting debuted in the VIP great place to kind of work in songs and get some practice with them.  I really gotta applaud Matt at this point for not being content and just keeping things how they are.  The tour is now a couple weeks old and he is still pulling rarities out of the hat! awesome news for us fans.  

Well, today was the first day of my journey across Alberta and needless to say, I was  not disappointed.

I had to pick up a friend of mine in Calgary, so I logged 367 km behind the wheel today.

The show was stellar and included a lot of banter between the songs. Matt talked about how a judge has determined Paul Manafort has lied to the Mueller investigation about ties to a Russian oligarch in three occasions. He also discussed the president of the United States multiple times. Especially of interest, he talked about how fame and notoriety frightened him, seemingly during the Beautiful Midnight era. Some overzealous fans saw him walking down the street in Vancouver. The fans hit the brakes, got out of their car and ran across traffic to get Matt’s autograph. Also, during the press junket to L.A. and New York, he purposely made stories up during interviews. When he was talking to writers for Seventeen magazine in New York, they asked him about his first kiss. He told them his first kiss happened in the bushes. The girl involved put her hand in his pocket and gave him... I’ll leave this to your imagination. Anyhow, the interviewers immediately got up and left the room.

The performance was pretty much flawless, save for missing a chord in Load Me Up.

I’m really happy to be on this trip. I really loved the current version of Symbolistic White Walls, Fearless, and Change of Season.

Setlist:

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/matthew-good/2019/bert-church-live-theatre-airdrie-ab-canada-1395657d.html

BDEC00BF-BB9D-423D-B5C1-25B2E6A3A295.jpeg

Great show at a really small venue! I forgot how good Matt can work a crowd as a solo act. Unfortunately I don’t have the cash to swing a vip package or go to the second show in Calgary (night watch kijiji for a ticket day of), but I was glad I made it out to this show. I left a copy of slint’s spiderland on vinyl with matt’s Guitar tech, and managed to get a pick for my cousin who is a huge Matt Good fan as well.

for those with tickets to upcoming dates, you won’t be disappointed.

Edited by finboy

1 hour ago, Rhu8ar8Pi3 said:

Red Deer VIP:

Blue Skies over Band Lands (he said he hasn't played that song in 10 years)

Whoa!  I thought this song was put in the vault and never to return so this is kind of a big deal for me.  I still go back to recordings from the WLRRR tour and seek out this song specifically so the fact it's even being considered for a return is amazing. There are so many favorites, deep cuts and "haven't played in decades" songs being played or soundchecked in the last few weeks that I should have taken a page from NonPopulus and did a bit of a road trip through the province to increase my chances of hearing them all.

4 hours ago, Rhu8ar8Pi3 said:

Red Deer VIP:

So Long Mrs. Smith

Omissions of the Omen

Holy shit Im wishing I hit some more VIPs, some real rare ones getting played in there.  Hoping maybe Blue skies will find its way into the main set.  

Edited by adam_777

8 hours ago, Rhu8ar8Pi3 said:

Red Deer VIP:

So Long Mrs. Smith

Omissions of the Omen

While it’s cool he’s rehearsing Blue Skies during the VIP segments, he’s certainly played that song within the past ten years. He played it acoustic at Not So Private Banter and the Gravenhurst shows in 2015 and full band during the Chaotic Neutral tour at least a couple times. One performance was as a show opener in Sarnia. I’ll take it though. ?

Some quick thoughts from tonight’s show in Red Deer.

First off, this one was in a bar setting. The Airdrie snow was in a seated theater. Perhaps due to the venue, I found that the audience wasn’t as respectful during the actual performance of the songs tonight. There was a lot of chatter on the floor. Of course, being Valentine’s Day, there were a lot of, “be my Valentine!” shouts. 

The breaks in between the songs weren’t as long tonight, so the banter wasn’t as extensive as in Airdrie. He talked about how he wasn’t satisfied by the studio recording of Sort of a Protest song. He said that song is on his “take back” list. Songs I’m guessing he’d like another go at.

He called both Tripoli and A Boy and His Machine Gun “love songs,” for Valentine’s Day. A Boy and His Machine Gun was dedicated to the students from Parkland, FL for their activism. Matt also suggested that if people want to continue to hunt game, they should do it the pre-gun style with spears, etc.

The performance was pretty good, but I noticed some of those “unique” live moments today. If I’m remember correctly, during The Fine Art of Falling Apart, he came in a little late with some of the at the end of the first verse. There were some other instances of this. Maybe the bar setting was a little distracting. I do like those human moments though.

Anyhow, I’m back in Edmonton now and ready to hit St. Albert tomorrow. After that it’s off to Grande Prairie. Today’s drive was only 324 km. The past couple days have been a good warm-up for what’s coming.

575C977F-207A-4117-8300-5F0571E8197A.jpeg

Never fly on the day of a concert. It's been a rule I've had for 12 years and I've never broken it and have traveled to dozens of shows, and a few times its saved my ass. But I went against my better judgement on this one and booked an 830 flight from victoria to edmonton on the day of the show. Only it was PM not AM which I discovered at 725 this morning at the check in counter. 

After finding out there was nothing Westjet could do to get me to edmonton any earlier than 9pm tonight I tried Calgary. But even then not till nearly 4 and then I'd have to rent a car and drive to St Albert tonight to maybe just make it. 

So I checked with Air Canada. Nothing from Vancouver Island. But one option: a 1230 flight out of Vancouver. Only problem; since it's the day of travel cost of that one way flight is $592. Fuck it. Booked the flight and raced for the 9 am ferry. Now I'm on the boat when I get off I'll have a $60 cab fare to get to the airport and should get there in time to make my flight and with a little luck should still make it to St Albert on time albeit just about $700 poorer for my efforts. So if you see a guy passing a donation cap around at the show it'll probably be me. Haha, but I'll be damned if I was gonna miss it. 

And if Matt happens to play Blue Skies tonight I'll consider it money well spent! See y'all at the show! 

• Upvote 1

Guest Rhu8ar8Pi3

Oh no, that totally sucks. Now, that's what I call dedication! Have a safe trip.

If I have enough courage, I'll try to slip in a "Can you play Blue Skies tonight" at the end of my question at the Q&A today.

8 minutes ago, Rhu8ar8Pi3 said:

Oh no, that totally sucks. Now, that's what I call dedication! Have a safe trip.

If I have enough courage, I'll try to slip in a "Can you play Blue Skies tonight" at the end of my question at the Q&A today.

Haha I love it. Thanks Hope you enjoy the show! Howve you enjoyed the ones you've seen so far?  

Edited by adam_777

51 minutes ago, adam_777 said:

Never fly on the day of a concert. It's been a rule I've had for 12 years and I've never broken it and have traveled to dozens of shows, and a few times its saved my ass. But I went against my better judgement on this one and booked an 830 flight from victoria to edmonton on the day of the show. Only it was PM not AM which I discovered at 725 this morning at the check in counter. 

This is a fear I didn't realize I had.  I've flown to a few concerts and have considered flying day of but was more worried about delays or getting to the venue on time, I never considered the potential to confuse AM and PM.  It's great you will still be able to make the show and hopefully it's extra special to take some of that financial sting off.  

25 minutes ago, gursky said:

This is a fear I didn't realize I had.  I've flown to a few concerts and have considered flying day of but was more worried about delays or getting to the venue on time, I never considered the potential to confuse AM and PM.  It's great you will still be able to make the show and hopefully it's extra special to take some of that financial sting off.  

Ya I know maybe its sheer dumbfounded arrogance but it never even occured to me I'd botch that I was so worried about getting an early flight that day to allow for flexibility I didnt even consider I might miss such a  crucial detail as time of day! Haha guess it costs to be stupid! Glad there was at least some alternative

Edited by adam_777

Guest Rhu8ar8Pi3
46 minutes ago, adam_777 said:

Haha I love it. Thanks Hope you enjoy the show! Howve you enjoyed the ones you've seen so far?  

I am absolutely loving them. Each concert set is completely different from the next. It is refreshing to hear the rarities and new songs too.

I don't intend on this being a full review but I'm pretty excited and may ramble more than a sentence or two recap.  To summarize my thoughts on this show take a look at the attached screenshot of text message I sent adam_777.

Yeah, Blue Skies Over Badlands happened and it took the show to another level.  

I snooped on setlists for the last two weeks.  I did my best to avoid hearing the songs but I still essentially spoiled myself before Christmas.  However, knowing what was under the tree doesn't compare to being there when the show unfolds in person.  The set had the usual appearances of Load Me Up, Time Bomb, Apparitions but mixing in Fearless, Empty Road, Fated and Change of Season made the main set feel like a present to fans. MG encouraged the audience to sing along with the chorus on Load Me Up and there were some interesting adjustments to Time Bomb that breathed new life in to these staples.

It's impossible to pick a favorite moment from the night.  The crowd interaction was casual, he spoke about his incident last March, was talking off stage to his crew.  It seemed very relaxed and several times the entire audience was laughing along.  The show never had a lull and it felt like the audience was waiting for the first few words of a song to know where we were going next.  However, the highlight for came in the encore (as evident in my text to Adam).  

These three songs took the show to another level.  Looking at the original set list (asked the Aussie Simon for it and this was my very first set list...makes show #34 special) and the original plan was Strange Days > Blue Skies > Symbolistic, instead we got Blue Skies > Symbolistic > Alert Status Red.  On the surface this feels like a minor change but the song he collapsed during last March was Alert Status Red so I feel there was some vindication tonight by playing it as the final song of the night and he stuck the landing.  Plus, Blue Skies going in to Symbolistic White Walls...wow!  WOW!  WOW!

After the Poesy set PlasticSoldier, Rhu8ar8Pi3, adam_777 and I all met and did a little 'how do you do'.  We have such a niche community here that it's great we can get together and have a little meet up.  I know NonPopulus was in attendance too but we weren't able to connect so I will try and cross paths with him next week.  

As is tradition, I recorded the show and listening back I have to say it sounds amazing.  I will edit it tomorrow, post a sample in this thread and the rest will be shared in The Lounge.  I feel very fortunate to have the chance to see two more shows next week and then on MG's return in March because if tonight is any indication then these shows are a treasure.  

blue-skies-encore.jpg

• Like 1

Big grin!  My friend and I were bouncing in our seats when we realized what song it was, although the "haven't played this song in years" helped as a hint ?.

If you head over to The Lounge there will be a few posts I made.  First off I completed editing Rhu8ar8Pi3's February 13 Airdrie show and have download links available and I also finished editing my February 15 St. Albert recording.  To give you a sneak peek of the recording here is "Fated" from St. Albert: https://soundcloud.com/sean-gursky/matthew-good-fated-february-15.

Glad that you guys are getting incredible sets and shows!! The turnaround on recordings has been amazing as well. Love the surprises that have been played so far and wanted to chime in on some that I would like to hear  (and feel strong he will play)

Life beyond

Avalanche

I miss New Wave

In a dream world I would wish for Flashdance,  Born to Kill, and RFH.  We are lucky to have a great community of tapers that allow us to hear shows from each phase of the tour. I eagerly anticipate what Matt will come out with next!