Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
MatthewGoodFan101

2019 Solo Acoustic Tour

Recommended Posts

Loved the review Sean. Pretty much what I experienced too. Matt had a couple very minor flubs on guitar but they kinda were the type that he improvised around and I'm sure most of the crowd was none the wiser. Great setlists again like Sean mentioned a real nod to the hardcore fans. This was my 5th show on this tour and every show has been significantly different. Even after seeing five shows it was my first time hearing Empty Road, Hello Time Bomb, and blue  Skies so it really is a pretty special tour.  Really excited to see what the next dates will bring and am stoaked to get to see the tour ender in march

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, adam_777 said:

Loved the review Sean. Pretty much what I experienced too. Matt had a couple very minor flubs on guitar but they kinda were the type that he improvised around and I'm sure most of the crowd was none the wiser. Great setlists again like Sean mentioned a real nod to the hardcore fans. This was my 5th show on this tour and every show has been significantly different. Even after seeing five shows it was my first time hearing Empty Road, Hello Time Bomb, and blue  Skies so it really is a pretty special tour.  Really excited to see what the next dates will bring and am stoaked to get to see the tour ender in march

So you made it on time to the show Adam?  No issues as far as that?

On 2/16/2019 at 8:20 AM, foats said:

Glad that you guys are getting incredible sets and shows!! The turnaround on recordings has been amazing as well. Love the surprises that have been played so far and wanted to chime in on some that I would like to hear  (and feel strong he will play)

Life beyond

Avalanche

I miss New Wave

 

In a dream world I would wish for Flashdance,  Born to Kill, and RFH.  We are lucky to have a great community of tapers that allow us to hear shows from each phase of the tour. I eagerly anticipate what Matt will come out with next!

I think I Miss New Wave would be a great fit, good call.  Would love to hear that too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stwlegend said:

So you made it on time to the show Adam?  No issues as far as that?

I think I Miss New Wave wuld be a great fit, good call.  Would love to hear that too.

I did make it! Wasn't easy or cheap but I got to St Albert about an hour before showtime so was glad for that. And the show was awesome, getting Blue Skies was incredible. Matt played more songs from Hospital Music at one show than he had at any show I've seen since the Hospital Music tour. 

 

Looks like Grande Prairie got a majorly different setlist than St.Albert with I'm A Window getting its tour debut as well.  I pretty much make a point of staying up late to see Matt's setlist every night. It's very exciting to think what each successive show might bring to the table.  I'm glad he posts the sets as it removes the guess work and rumours and may even convince some people to hit up multiple shows

 

I'd love to see him play Avalanche! I've seen him play that acoustically a few times before and it comes across so well. He used to say that was one of his favourite songs he'd written. But it's been quite some time since hes played it now, probably five years or so. 

 

Matt mentioned he was upset with Fearless because he doesn't like how he recorded it on the album and now he said it exists forever sucking. I've heard he made a similar claim about Sort of a Protest Song. While there's no going back in time a live album is a great tool artists have used to release alternate versions of old songs or extended ones. It's been over a decade since the full band live at Massey Hall. Maybe it could be a good time for a live acoustic album? Everyone I've attended shows with agreed they preferred Fearless in this arrangement to the albums. 

Edited by adam_777

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi guys, I was hoping to attend Matt's show in London and maybe meet some people, unfortunately my son is at sick kids in TO so I won't be able to make it.  Take care guys, enjoy the tour.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Back home from Camrose (Feb 20) which marked my second show on the tour where Feb 15 St. Albert was the first.  There were six different songs between the two sets and still a handful that were played at in between shows in Grande Prairie or Medicine Hat that could have made it out.  When 16 songs are played each night and six can be different from one show to the next is simply impressive.   

The St. Albert Blue Skies > Symbolistic was an incredible transition but tonight in Camrose going from Tripoli > Los Alamos was superb.  I was hoping to hear some material from the new album and was pleasantly surprised.

The crowd in Camrose was a bit more active and the upper level (where I was) had some enthusiastic fans and some were doing their part to yell down to the stage.  I couldn't understand their enthusiasm for some songs but not others (cheer for Fated but silent for Tripoli or Rabbits?).  Compared to St. Albert the show tonight felt like rowdy, in the most sophisticated and seated way possible. 

Two shows, two different setlists and two different performances.  Thankfully the next show is just a stones throw away and I'm even more excited for it now than I was last week. 

I did record the show so look for a song sample and download links in The Lounge to be posted in a day or two.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, gursky said:

Back home from Camrose (Feb 20) which marked my second show on the tour where Feb 15 St. Albert was the first.  There were six different songs between the two sets and still a handful that were played at in between shows in Grande Prairie or Medicine Hat that could have made it out.  When 16 songs are played each night and six can be different from one show to the next is simply impressive.   

The St. Albert Blue Skies > Symbolistic was an incredible transition but tonight in Camrose going from Tripoli > Los Alamos was superb.  I was hoping to hear some material from the new album and was pleasantly surprised.

The crowd in Camrose was a bit more active and the upper level (where I was) had some enthusiastic fans and some were doing their part to yell down to the stage.  I couldn't understand their enthusiasm for some songs but not others (cheer for Fated but silent for Tripoli or Rabbits?).  Compared to St. Albert the show tonight felt like rowdy, in the most sophisticated and seated way possible. 

Two shows, two different setlists and two different performances.  Thankfully the next show is just a stones throw away and I'm even more excited for it now than I was last week. 

I did record the show so look for a song sample and download links in The Lounge to be posted in a day or two.

Its amazing how a crowd or venue can make a show seem so different too.  Even in Matt's interaction with the audience.  The first two shows I saw on the tour In Sidney and Victoria were like night and day because of that.  The Sidney show Matt was pretty rusty, but very loose and talkative, the show was 2hrs 10 mins and the crowd was very interactive.  In Victoria Matt's performance was much more polished, but he was far less talkative and the crowds interaction was nearly nonexistent and the show was 1hr39 mins.  So there can be so much variation from one show to the next, which is part of what makes hitting multiple shows so alluring, you just don't know what may happen.  I constantly have to justify why I need to see that "matt Good guy" so many times to people I know who just dont get it, but if you go see him play multiple shows you really start to understand just how different one can be from the next.  

How'd you like Los Alamos Sean? That song is downright haunting solo acoustic.  Hope you enjoy Fort Sask! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, adam_777 said:

So there can be so much variation from one show to the next, which is part of what makes hitting multiple shows so alluring, you just don't know what may happen.  I constantly have to justify why I need to see that "matt Good guy" so many times to people I know who just dont get it, but if you go see him play multiple shows you really start to understand just how different one can be from the next.  

How'd you like Los Alamos Sean? That song is downright haunting solo acoustic.  Hope you enjoy Fort Sask! 

Totally agreed, there is a beauty to the performances from night to night that can't be easily explained to a casual observer or someone who hasn't experienced it first hand.  With a 90 minute set and 16 performances completed you'd think each show would be similar but it couldn't be further from the truth and my excitement level for tomorrow (Ft. Saskatchewan) is very high.   

Yes!  Los Alamos can simply be described as haunting on acoustic.  Listening back I think this was my highlight of the night.  I considered making Los Alamos my song sample from February 20 but opted for Change of Season, which is a really beautiful closer: https://soundcloud.com/sean-gursky/matthew-good-change-of-season-february-20-2019.  I have posted the rest of the show in The Lounge so head over there to get the latest.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Back from the February 22 Ft. Saskatchewan show (https://www.instagram.com/p/BuNki4Bgvsb/) and it was different than the previous shows in all the right ways.  

Right off the bat MG mentioned he woke up with no voice and he did his best to get himself ready for the show.  He promised to make the most of it and the crowd gave him a big applause in support of this.  There were more breaks between songs, quicker consumption of his gin drink, random tangents and it felt like the night could go anywhere.

What does Everything Is Automatic or The Future Is X-Rated sound like on acoustic?  We got a sample of each, one was more a demonstration of how a rock song can't be simply played on acoustic (X-Rated) and the other (Automatic) actually had MG play a few chords and teased the audience that it could happen (20 seconds worth!).  That was then followed by some more noodling of Everything Is Automatic and he mentioned he'd "maybe try to work on that for ya" - it was definitely working and whichever city hears it first will be honored.   

You wouldn't have known MG was performing sick, a miss or two on some vocals but he didn't let his illness slow him down.  With the breaks between songs I was hopeful we'd get an extended performance and it felt like it was was going to happen.  He came to the encore and mentioned he's switching things up, wasn't sure which guitar to use and after playing How It Goes (wow!) it seemed like he wanted to keep going but had to stop.  NonPopulus grabbed the setlist at the sound booth so he can say what was the original plan but I think we were on the verge of getting a special treat but timed out.  

I understand the appearance of some big singles (Load Me Up, Apparitions and Hello Time Bomb) and I usually gloss over them in the show but Hello Time Bomb stands out as a highlight each time I hear it and I'm surprised by how much I enjoy it.  

Listening to the Medicine Hat show MG mentioned he's fallen out of love with the 12 string guitar but it made multiple appearances tonight and didn't seem to be out of favour in any way and made multiple appearances. 

What else is there to say? The encore treated us with I'm a Window (which had a false start), Alert Status Red and How It Goes - it was as great as you can imagine.  Throw in Los Alamos, my rediscovered classic and set favorite in Fearless and this show was excellent.  Best of the three I have seen?  Maybe.  As much as I wanted to hear Blue Skies or Symbolistic White Walls again I am grateful to have heard it and that makes the February 15 St. Albert performance special in its own right.  And yet after three shows songs like Men at the Door, Selling You My Heart, Radicals or Boy And His Machine Gun have eluded me and that's the fun of a show where any song could appear or disappear.  There were some moments from tonight that I'll remember among my decades of seeing MG/B perform.  This tour is less than a month old and still throwing out surprises so those that are lucky to see it on future dates are in for a treat. 

In addition to talking with NonPopulus my friend and I were able to spend some time with PlasticSoldier, and as we took our seats before the main MG set we sat beside Stephanie (not sure if she's a member here) in the upper balcony who has waited in line with us for hours going back to the early 2000's.  The familiar handles and new faces I've come across on this tour makes the Solo Acoustic even more memorable than it already is.  

Tonight was great and listening back to the recording I can confirm it's a solid capture, so I'll edit that down (perhaps with what NonPopulus captured) and share in The Lounge in the coming days.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll have to give Hello Time Bomb some more listens, this version parts seem a little too drawn out to me, but could just be the unfamiliarity of the arrangement. On the drive home Fearless came on, and this tour version is vocally so much stronger. I enjoy the song but man does the album version feel not as epic haha

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, PlasticSoldier said:

I'll have to give Hello Time Bomb some more listens, this version parts seem a little too drawn out to me, but could just be the unfamiliarity of the arrangement. On the drive home Fearless came on, and this tour version is vocally so much stronger. I enjoy the song but man does the album version feel not as epic haha

 

 

To me Fearless had been given a total second life. I like, but dont love LOTGA and even on that album Fearless was kind of a middle of the road track for me. But this live acoustic version has probably been my highlight of the entire tour. It just packs so much more emotional weight played the way Matt is currently playing it. 

I've said it before. But with Matt's comments about how he wishes he could redo that song I'm left wishing he could just record a live album on this tour. Our recordings have captured so solid renditions but nothing compares to a professional multitrack record. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, PlasticSoldier said:

I'll have to give Hello Time Bomb some more listens, this version parts seem a little too drawn out to me, but could just be the unfamiliarity of the arrangement. On the drive home Fearless came on, and this tour version is vocally so much stronger. I enjoy the song but man does the album version feel not as epic haha

 

 

Haha that's awesome Chad! I love those shows where Matt is clearly in a playful mood.  I remember him doing something similar to this in Vancouver in 2012 at the secret show he played with the song Weapon.  He played part to prove it wouldnt translate acoustically and it sounded pretty damn good and the crowd started singing it, that was a fun night.  

I don't suppose anyone here happened to get video of Fearless? I'm trying to learn to play it and I know its simple chords in open tuning, but I'm pretty lousy at figuring that stuff out.  The one video I saw his fret hand was perfectly blocked by the mic stand the entire time haha, even if someone has just 30 seconds it'd be enough to learn it.  

Sean, loving the in depth show review you've posted, it's really interesting to see you run down the performances and contrast them against each other.  It sounds like Fort Saskatchewan was a great show and just from that video I can tell Matt was in the kind of mood where you know you are in for something special.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, adam_777 said:

Sean, loving the in depth show review you've posted, it's really interesting to see you run down the performances and contrast them against each other..  

Thanks, I don't intend to write much but I begin listening back to the show, have a drink and then the inspiration comes through.  After the show last night my friend commented he was glad to see the three we did (St. Albert, Camrose, Fort Sask) as each one was so different and the theatre venue was perfect.  I regret not adding in another show (eg: Airdrie or Red Deer) to the mix but these three shows have been special in their own right.  

The editing of last nights performance is completed and links are available in The Lounge and song sample for "Hello Time Bomb" (told ya, I'm coming around to this rendition!) on SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/sean-gursky/matthew-good-hello-time-bomb-february-22-2019.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

another huge tour debut last night. True Love Will Find You In The End

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, foats said:

another huge tour debut last night. True Love Will Find You In The End

Absolutely, just remarkable that as the tour approaches the halfway point there is still first time songs being played nearly nightly.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been awhile folks.

Hopefully going to his Vancouver shows, fingers crossed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Went to the Regina show last night - Matt really seemed to be enjoying himself. Been to almost all of his tours but one of the few I missed was the acoustic tour from a few years ago. No new tracks added to the set list last night (I don’t think) but we did get 4 songs in the encore which I think has happened only one other time thus far. Hope I can continue to see him perform for decades to come, such a remarkable talent. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Everyone!

I just got home from the Ottawa show and want to post the set list (as I remember it...I’m not always great with the song names so please feel free to correct me if you notice a mistake):  Champions of Nothing, Prime Time Deliverence, Tripoli, Fearless, Empty Road, While We Were Hunting Rabbits, Born Losers, Symbolistic White Walls, Fated, The Fine Art of Falling Apart, Load Me Up, Apparitions, This is Night, Change of Season.  Encore: Hello Time Bomb, Strange Days, Blue Skies over Badlands.

This concert had a lot of songs that I haven’t heard played in concert for so many years that I can’t be certain that I ever heard them played in concert (not since he was burning monkey masks on stage)...or perhaps it is just the level of inebriation I was experiencing at those bygone concerts which keeps me from remembering. There was lots of talk about drinking at this concert and Matt did get visibly drunk to the point where I wondered if he forgot some of the words to Change of Season (of course my memory could be off, or he could legitimately changed the lyrics which he absolutely has the right to do). The drinking jokes seemed to get a mixed review and for my part I have overcome addictions myself and have family still mired in addiction so the chatter about alcohol doesn’t have the same shine it would have had in my younger years. That said, Matt seemed to be enjoying himself. I certainly felt that his demeanour was lighter and more cheerful than it has in past concerts and I wonder if this tour, with the more intimate venues is part of that. Whatever the case, I am happy that Matt seemed well: jokes about alcohol won’t keep me from his concerts now or ever.

The venue was small enough for conversation between he and the audience and I know that’s true because I was in the cheap seats and yelled out to him at a silent moment and responded to what I yelled, which was pretty fun!

The lighting and simplistic set design was gorgeous; simply breathtaking. The only one that rivalled it in my opinion was the lighting on his Lights of Endangered Species tour. The backdrop tonight was five vertical lights directly behind Matt which spanned from floor to ceiling. They reminded me of the neck of a guitar, whether or not that was the intent, I do not know. They shimmered and shone in a variety of different hues and rhythms. Whoever thought up the lighting deserves a raise.

Finally, Matt’s voice is the best I’ve heard it in years. He was back to his true tenor self, even transposing some songs into higher keys which was unexpected as he seems to have been going to lower keys in past concerts. I wonder if it is easier on his voice to sing solo?  I haven’t heard him this strong vocally since Vancouver. 

If I’ve posted stuff that others have already spoken about, I extend my apologies. I didn’t want spoilers so I haven’t read any of the concert feed.

oh...if you are reading this before going to see him in concert: brush up on the lyrics to Load Me Up!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Ottawa setlist is a dream setlist. Would make for an amazing live album.  How can this be topped really? Its more or less every song over the past 20 years I would love to hear live rolled into one show. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That is an amazing set list!  That makes me super excited for my show on Tuesday in London.   I quite hope he plays Prime Time Deliverance, Change of Season, Tripoli,  Fearless, Blue Skies Over Badlands, Los Alamos among others.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Manchalivin said:

That is an amazing set list!  That makes me super excited for my show on Tuesday in London.   I quite hope he plays Prime Time Deliverance, Change of Season, Tripoli,  Fearless, Blue Skies Over Badlands, Los Alamos among others.

Excited for Tuesday too...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/20/2019 at 1:55 PM, Sly Botts said:

Hi guys, I was hoping to attend Matt's show in London and maybe meet some people, unfortunately my son is at sick kids in TO so I won't be able to make it.  Take care guys, enjoy the tour.

Sorry to hear your son is sick! Just in case it's feasible, I saw someone posting about tix for sale at the Richmond Hill show on Facebook. Not that you'd want to be away from your son while he's sick, but in case he's on the mend and you're able to step out for the evening, I thought I'd mention.

Lurker here... just wanted to say thanks to everyone who's been posting reviews of the shows. It was bittersweet reading them because I bought my ticket before I found out I was pregnant and my due date was in February with the show being in March, so I knew there would be a very slim chance I'd be able to make it. Thankfully baby's taking to a bottle so I'll be able to catch this epic (to me) show! Sadly I won't be able to attend the VIP session, which would send me over the moon if I could go.

Anyone else going to the Richmond Hill show on March 9? I bought the ticket so early because it was 1/3 sold already in May, but I would have thought most people would snag the Toronto shows instead. I have a lot of catching up to do as I'm a boomerang fan (long story super short, I missed out from Audio of Being and just came back during Something Like A Storm), and I know this sounds so backwards but I didn't want to listen much to songs of a great concert I couldn't attend because it would just remind me of what I'm missing. Now that I know I'm going, this week is going to be packed with reviewing and learning songs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, MrsBlah said:

Sorry to hear your son is sick! Just in case it's feasible, I saw someone posting about tix for sale at the Richmond Hill show on Facebook. Not that you'd want to be away from your son while he's sick, but in case he's on the mend and you're able to step out for the evening, I thought I'd mention.

Lurker here... just wanted to say thanks to everyone who's been posting reviews of the shows. It was bittersweet reading them because I bought my ticket before I found out I was pregnant and my due date was in February with the show being in March, so I knew there would be a very slim chance I'd be able to make it. Thankfully baby's taking to a bottle so I'll be able to catch this epic (to me) show! Sadly I won't be able to attend the VIP session, which would send me over the moon if I could go.

Anyone else going to the Richmond Hill show on March 9? I bought the ticket so early because it was 1/3 sold already in May, but I would have thought most people would snag the Toronto shows instead. I have a lot of catching up to do as I'm a boomerang fan (long story super short, I missed out from Audio of Being and just came back during Something Like A Storm), and I know this sounds so backwards but I didn't want to listen much to songs of a great concert I couldn't attend because it would just remind me of what I'm missing. Now that I know I'm going, this week is going to be packed with reviewing and learning songs.

Thank you, it didn't work out though, I'll have to sit this tour out.  It's nice distraction to read the reviews though. Thanks for posting guys.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.