Jump to content
MatthewGoodFan101

2019 Solo Acoustic Tour

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, hoogie said:

Apparently the North Bay show was pretty rowdy last night:

https://twitter.com/NorthBayPolice/status/1102409498864635906

There was a fight during the show, and the police took two people out.  At an acoustic show?  Crazy.

I do find it strange too.  For the show in Brampton, on top of acoustic, it's a seated theater, so you would think everyone would be pretty chill.  But I guess depends on how the fight starts.  There was a guy who was telling Matt to shut up and play and a few other audience members were getting mad at that guy, and that could have escalated.  Thankfully the guy ended up leaving on his own shortly after that, so nothing came of it.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stwlegend said:

I do find it strange too.  For the show in Brampton, on top of acoustic, it's a seated theater, so you would think everyone would be pretty chill.  But I guess depends on how the fight starts.  There was a guy who was telling Matt to shut up and play and a few other audience members were getting mad at that guy, and that could have escalated.  Thankfully the guy ended up leaving on his own shortly after that, so nothing came of it.   

It's Northern Ontario.  People here like their alcohol and cigarettes.  As I said on Twitter, we're hardy folk lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A daily reminder.

mg-fans.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Edmonton Tickets

Does anyone have tickets for the Edmonton show on March 20?  I have seen MG over 30 times but was asleep at the wheel this time and the show sold out before I could get tickets.  I'm looking for 1 or 2.

Thanks so much in advance!!
The live recordings have been SO GOOD!!!  Keep them coming everyone! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just got back from the London show. What a night!

 

Matt was in a really good mood throughout the show. He was hilarious between songs, polishing off a few gin and tonics and talking a fair bit. Someone at some point yelled, asking about an after party. Matt scoffed and said “Afterparty?  I’m 48 effing years old. I didn’t go to after parties when I was young enough to go, let alone now.”

There were a fair hit of idiots yelling, but Matt didn’t seem affected by it. Some old guy came up to the stage twice and tried to tell Matt something, but he just kept his head down. The guy was weird. 

The acoustic format is so great. You can hear the nuances in his guitar playing, and the lyrics really shine. 

Got to hear Tripoli and Blue Skies, so my night was made. Thanks again to Matt for coming out and giving us the gift of this tour. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/BupwFvMAaNz/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=wh6kf0ukgiu

Pretty standard set list, nothing different I don’t believe. What a great night. 

83663F44-E03F-4187-9F19-EFCCAAFCDEFA.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/3/2019 at 10:11 PM, MrsBlah said:

Anyone else going to the Richmond Hill show on March 9? I bought the ticket so early because it was 1/3 sold already in May, but I would have thought most people would snag the Toronto shows instead. I have a lot of catching up to do as I'm a boomerang fan (long story super short, I missed out from Audio of Being and just came back during Something Like A Storm), and I know this sounds so backwards but I didn't want to listen much to songs of a great concert I couldn't attend because it would just remind me of what I'm missing. Now that I know I'm going, this week is going to be packed with reviewing and learning songs.

I'll be at Richmond Hill!  Also doing the Toronto shows, so people like me are probably why it sold quickly. 

So I've been busy and forgot to swing in here re Brampton.  WOW.  North Bay decided to top it out, but Matt's mood sadly was soured by the crowd and he was quiet for most of the night.  It did lead to the most ominous version of Alert Status Red I've ever heard.  (My dad shot it, vertical alas but the sound is great)



Role call - anyone else doing Milton, Richmond Hill, Kingston or the Torontos? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Avalanche was the highlight in Brantford tonight....  Crowd energy was "interesting".... I wonder if Toronto is going to get a set list like Ottawa did....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, likeadeadstar said:

I'll be at Richmond Hill!  Also doing the Toronto shows, so people like me are probably why it sold quickly. 

So I've been busy and forgot to swing in here re Brampton.  WOW.  North Bay decided to top it out, but Matt's mood sadly was soured by the crowd and he was quiet for most of the night.  It did lead to the most ominous version of Alert Status Red I've ever heard.  (My dad shot it, vertical alas but the sound is great)

Role call - anyone else doing Milton, Richmond Hill, Kingston or the Torontos? 

I was wondering who else in Richmond Hill would be swarming the concert! I'm glad it won't be a dead audience. The Toronto shows will be buzzing more though. Can't wait to hear reviews of those shows! And thanks for the video. Tonight will likely binge on the the great recordings you all have posted here.

How long is Poesy's set? I'll likely have to come in after she's done unfortunately. Concert is at 8pm so if I arrive at 8:30pm I should be just in time for the break between sets?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was around 30-40 minutes for her set.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Well the London show was pretty sweet.  The set list was excellent.  Matt sounded really good.  The new mezzanine section is really nice.  It's at the back but with the venue not being that big it wasn't too terribly far from the stage and they have a big screen to see up close.  He played all the songs I was hoping for based on the other shows except Change of Season.  I love  that he played Blue Skies Over Badlands and I think if I had to pick it would be my highlight of the night.  Matt seemed to sing a bit louder and seemed really into it and the guitar playing/tone was awesome.  It had the best sound of all the songs.   It's surprising that no one has won the Load Me Up game yet.  Do you guys know what I'm talking about?

Where were you sitting Hoogie?

I recorded many songs on my camera and I think they look really good for being from a distance.  My 30x zoom on my little camera came in real handy.  Maybe I'll try and figure out how to post them.

I recorded the whole show in audio on my phone just in case it would be decent and it's not super good but I think it's worth having.  My main problem with it is that it's super quiet.  I have to use my headphone amp for it to be enjoyable or listen to it almost at max in my car but then it sounds not too bad at all.  What program do you guys use to split tracks?

Edited by Manchalivin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Manchalivin said:

What program do you guys use to split tracks?

CD Wave Editor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok thanks.  I think this phone recording actually might be worth sharing, especially if no one else recorded the London show.  On my computer with just headphones it sounds decently loud and it's not even at max.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Sorry if this is too much video to post at once.  Please delete if so.  These are the videos I took of Matthew Good.  Some of these videos almost sound better to me than actually being there somehow.  Like his voice is louder/clearer.  From where I was it was decently loud for the most part but I thought it could be louder.

 

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for posting these videos!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Listening to primetime, sounds like he's either struggling to hit high notes or just doesn't want to go for it. Either way though, nicely done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well the tour has wound down to it's last quarter now.  A few more small market shows and then the journey back west hitting all the major markets over the next two weeks.  This has been one of my favourite Matt tours ever, possibly top of the list for me and I can't wait to see my final show in Vancouver.  I'm interested to see if the bigger market shows will feature extended shows or anything.  The setlists have been between 15-17 songs with 16 being by far the most common, but it isn't unusual for Matt to extend shows in markets like Vancouver, Toronto, Edmonton or Calgary in the past so I'm thinking some shows might see 18 or 19 songs.  I am really excited to see how these last two weeks play out.  Right through this tour Matt has continued to inject songs for the first time and it should be pretty interesting to see if anything else gets debuted, or if some of the one timers like Hopeless, Avalanche and Black Helicopter get additional airings.  

This tour has been such a success for fans of Matt's deep catalog, and Im sure there are many songs here that even the most diehard fans got to experience live for the first time.  I've seen Matt live 42 times and on this tour I have seen:

8 songs for the first time live
11 songs for the first time acoustic 

Including songs like Fearless and Change of Season which I just never thought I would ever get to see live.  

In addition of course are the many songs Matt plays acoustically that he never gets around to playing with the band which is where this tour really stands out. Compared to the last 5 years of Matt's tours with the band this tour has featured an astounding 25 songs that have not been played in any full band set.  So just a total alternate to the kinds of things we have come to expect from that band shows which offers so much variety and I think is a main reason so many people have been overwhelming positive in their reviews of this tour.  I really have not heard any negative comments which is pretty incredible.  Hope the remaining shows go well, and sounds like we'll get at least a few more recordings from this tour as well, including video.  Very much looking forward to it! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Sly Botts said:

Listening to primetime, sounds like he's either struggling to hit high notes or just doesn't want to go for it. Either way though, nicely done.

I think he screwed up on one of the early notes in Tripoli, he seems to have a look of disappointment after, which was kind of cool to see.  I think with some songs and parts he's changing it because he maybe prefers it but some I can't tell if it's because it's out of his range.

I have to say for some songs or parts I couldn't help but kind of wish he had his younger range, but in some ways I appreciate or even prefer his voice now.  He's still a great singer regardless.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Manchalivin said:

I think he screwed up on one of the early notes in Tripoli, he seems to have a look of disappointment after, which was kind of cool to see.  I think with some songs and parts he's changing it because he maybe prefers it but some I can't tell if it's because it's out of his range.

I have to say for some songs or parts I couldn't help but kind of wish he had his younger range, but in some ways I appreciate or even prefer his voice now.  He's still a great singer regardless.

I hear you.  For me, when I hear an album like Underdogs, I got used to the nuance, the way he sung the songs, the emotion, the *umph*.  You appreciate it like fine art.  Its hard to hear it sung differently however its also cool to hear it sung a different way.  That's why Live is so great. You get something new each time.  Also, when you're touring like that, you probably lose your voice a lot and you need to pick and choose your battles (ie; decide which songs you're give your all too).

All in all Matt is an awesome performer and it sounds like his voice is top shelf for this tour.  Right on!!!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I haven't seen many  reviews for the Richmond Hill show. It was incredible. I went there a few months ago for Raine and Kreviazuk, and no matter what seats you have, you'll have a great viewing spot (this is why I picked this venue over Danforth - also to avoid Ticketmaster). I had what looked like 'bad' seats, and we had a perfect view in the middle towards the back. Also you never have to worry about tall people in front of you at this location!

I've been seeing him live at least once a year since 2009, and this was the best mood he's ever been in - everyone was laughing and I feel he could do comedy as a side gig and get lots of laughs if he wanted. 

Hearing Fearless and Empty Road back to back was a highlight and very emotional for me. I got goosebumps during both. I loved the Mrs. Smith/Time Bomb mash-up - and Time Bomb had such a cool sound this time. Selling You My Heart was an incredible experience. The changes he made to Fated at the end are very memorable. 

I haven't always liked changes to songs (Suburbia during the BM tour is my best example) - but I have to say - all these changes are so good. I've heard his acoustic versions sound very just slowed down like In A Coma - but here it sounded so good and creative. I ended up having to record much of the show because of how wonderful and different it was. 

People are mentioning a new song called Radicals? I haven't found or heard that one...would love to check it out. 

Edited by challe232

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/9/2019 at 1:45 AM, Manchalivin said:

Well the London show was pretty sweet.  The set list was excellent.  Matt sounded really good.  The new mezzanine section is really nice.  It's at the back but with the venue not being that big it wasn't too terribly far from the stage and they have a big screen to see up close.  He played all the songs I was hoping for based on the other shows except Change of Season.  I love  that he played Blue Skies Over Badlands and I think if I had to pick it would be my highlight of the night.  Matt seemed to sing a bit louder and seemed really into it and the guitar playing/tone was awesome.  It had the best sound of all the songs.   It's surprising that no one has won the Load Me Up game yet.  Do you guys know what I'm talking about?

Where were you sitting Hoogie?

I recorded many songs on my camera and I think they look really good for being from a distance.  My 30x zoom on my little camera came in real handy.  Maybe I'll try and figure out how to post them.

I recorded the whole show in audio on my phone just in case it would be decent and it's not super good but I think it's worth having.  My main problem with it is that it's super quiet.  I have to use my headphone amp for it to be enjoyable or listen to it almost at max in my car but then it sounds not too bad at all.  What program do you guys use to split tracks?

We were five or six rows back from the front.  I got there and lined up early since I knew it was first come first serve, and I didn't know who the seating was going to work.

I didn't realize that whole new section was up there until we got up to leave.  It looked like there was quite a bit of seating back there.  I've never been up there in this venue, but I think it would be cool to sit against the glass railing to watch a show.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like that Matt noticed and commented he didn't remember that section last time.  It is a pretty big section.  I would like to try and sit in the first few rows if I go again.  How early did you line up?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/11/2019 at 1:15 AM, challe232 said:

I haven't seen many  reviews for the Richmond Hill show. It was incredible. I went there a few months ago for Raine and Kreviazuk, and no matter what seats you have, you'll have a great viewing spot (this is why I picked this venue over Danforth - also to avoid Ticketmaster). I had what looked like 'bad' seats, and we had a perfect view in the middle towards the back. Also you never have to worry about tall people in front of you at this location!

I've been seeing him live at least once a year since 2009, and this was the best mood he's ever been in - everyone was laughing and I feel he could do comedy as a side gig and get lots of laughs if he wanted. 

Hearing Fearless and Empty Road back to back was a highlight and very emotional for me. I got goosebumps during both. I loved the Mrs. Smith/Time Bomb mash-up - and Time Bomb had such a cool sound this time. Selling You My Heart was an incredible experience. The changes he made to Fated at the end are very memorable. 

I haven't always liked changes to songs (Suburbia during the BM tour is my best example) - but I have to say - all these changes are so good. I've heard his acoustic versions sound very just slowed down like In A Coma - but here it sounded so good and creative. I ended up having to record much of the show because of how wonderful and different it was. 

People are mentioning a new song called Radicals? I haven't found or heard that one...would love to check it out. 

I was at this show as well. Awesome setlist and great venue. I was in the very back of the balcony and still had a better view than other MG concerts I've been to, heh.  I was hoping to see him play Fearless, and or Rabbits (ending up getting both so my night was made). It was so good, I sprained my ankle on the way to the show and I still consider it a good day, heh.

I was looking up a setlist for the show on setlist.fm, but it seems incomplete. I feel like How it Goes was played at this show. Since you recorded at lot of it, can you confirm?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.