Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
MatthewGoodFan101

2019 Solo Acoustic Tour

Recommended Posts

I was at the Campbell River show last night.  The setlist was exactly as was posted in the 2nd instagram screenshot above.  This was the 2nd of 3 shows for me on this tour (my 1st was Sidney).  The show overall was great as always, got to hear 4 or 5 songs he didn't play in Sidney.  Some notes about the show:

- Matt's show in Campbell River was about 1hr 35mins vs. 2hrs 15mins in Sidney, despite having a 17 song set in Campbell River and a 16 song set in Sidney.  Keep mind that I think Matt is only scheduled to be on for 1hr 30mins for shows on this tour.
- There wasn't much more between song banter in Campbell River than you would see at show with the band, I'm not going speculate as to why.
- There were some people in the crowd that were being annoying.  In particular there was one (I assume drunk) woman repeatedly professing her love for Matt in an obnoxious way in between songs, as well as constantly yelling other disruptive things (thankfully only between songs).  There were a few others yelling song requests.  The crowd didn't seem to be participating in a positive way like they were in Sidney.  In reality it was probably just 5-10 bad apples in a group of a few hundred.  Alcohol being allowed in the theatre vs. not in Sidney could have been a factor here.
- The song performances were really awesome.
- 99% of us is Failure was done completely acapela (not just half way through like he usually does).
- Matt used a stand with the lyrics for Change of Season, understandably there is a lot of lyrics, pretty great to see him play it (performance was awesome).

I also did VIP in Campbell River so I can shed some light on that for you guys:

- I got the informational email 6 days before the show, telling what to bring, where to meet and what to expect.  I wondered if I could possibly be the only person doing VIP in Campbell River.
- I got to the theatre a bit before the requested time of 3:30.  Others quickly showed up as well, it turns out there were 6 people in total.
- A representative from Matt's crew checked us in and let us into the theatre where Matt was on stage and just beginning to play Tripoli as we walked down to the front few rows.
- Matt played Tripoli, So Long Mrs. Smith and Radicals for the soundcheck.  It was cool to get a mini-semi-private concert with just 6 people.
- Things moved right into the Q&A.  The info email had requested we bring our 2 questions written down on paper to submit at check-in.  Although the representative said they tried that for the first show and it was awkward, so she wanted us to ask Matt our questions directly.  Some interesting stories were brought out from the questions.
- We all went up on stage for the group photo with Matt, he thanked us all and said goodbye
- We went back to the lobby and the notebooks were handed out.  It's a Matthew Good branded notebook with a MG branded pen.  There's a little piece of writing by Matt on the first page and a signature (I assume all are unique? I didn't look at others).
- We had an opportunity to buy merch without having deal with crowds.
- The priority entry to the venue for the show was really a non-factor for a reserved seat venue.

I'll be at the show in Victoria tonight, excited to see what happens there!

Edited by Curtster

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, likeadeadstar said:

I swore there was one I didn't see it, but it's entirely possible I'm too distracted by the goodies to notice its presence.

Haha fair enough! Your point is valid though these sets definitely cater to the hardcore obsessives who arent counting their first rodeo.  It's been pretty incredible to experience some long held wishlist songs live so far on this tour.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Grabbed a photo of the pedal board from tonight's VIP show. I also asked Matt a question about how to market my band and after the photo op was done he asked me to send him a copy of it. I had a cd of it in my car so I went out and grabbed that for him. Now Matt owns the first copy of our EP outside of my band and our family!! 

20190205_172333.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Curtster said:

I was at the Campbell River show last night.  The setlist was exactly as was posted in the 2nd instagram screenshot above.  This was the 2nd of 3 shows for me on this tour (my 1st was Sidney).  The show overall was great as always, got to hear 4 or 5 songs he didn't play in Sidney.  Some notes about the show:

- Matt's show in Campbell River was about 1hr 35mins vs. 2hrs 15mins in Sidney, despite having a 17 song set in Campbell River and a 16 song set in Sidney.  Keep mind that I think Matt is only scheduled to be on for 1hr 30mins for shows on this tour.
- There wasn't much more between song banter in Campbell River than you would see at show with the band, I'm not going speculate as to why.
- There were some people in the crowd that were being annoying.  In particular there was one (I assume drunk) woman repeatedly professing her love for Matt in an obnoxious way in between songs, as well as constantly yelling other disruptive things (thankfully only between songs).  There were a few others yelling song requests.  The crowd didn't seem to be participating in a positive way like they were in Sidney.  In reality it was probably just 5-10 bad apples in a group of a few hundred.  Alcohol being allowed in the theatre vs. not in Sidney could have been a factor here.
- The song performances were really awesome.
- 99% of us is Failure was done completely acapela (not just half way through like he usually does).
- Matt used a stand with the lyrics for Change of Season, understandably there is a lot of lyrics, pretty great to see him play it (performance was awesome).

I also did VIP in Campbell River so I can shed some light on that for you guys:

- I got the informational email 6 days before the show, telling what to bring, where to meet and what to expect.  I wondered if I could possibly be the only person doing VIP in Campbell River.
- I got to the theatre a bit before the requested time of 3:30.  Others quickly showed up as well, it turns out there were 6 people in total.
- A representative from Matt's crew checked us in and let us into the theatre where Matt was on stage and just beginning to play Tripoli as we walked down to the front few rows.
- Matt played Tripoli, So Long Mrs. Smith and Radicals for the soundcheck.  It was cool to get a mini-semi-private concert with just 6 people.
- Things moved right into the Q&A.  The info email had requested we bring our 2 questions written down on paper to submit at check-in.  Although the representative said they tried that for the first show and it was awkward, so she wanted us to ask Matt our questions directly.  Some interesting stories were brought out from the questions.
- We all went up on stage for the group photo with Matt, he thanked us all and said goodbye
- We went back to the lobby and the notebooks were handed out.  It's a Matthew Good branded notebook with a MG branded pen.  There's a little piece of writing by Matt on the first page and a signature (I assume all are unique? I didn't look at others).
- We had an opportunity to buy merch without having deal with crowds.
- The priority entry to the venue for the show was really a non-factor for a reserved seat venue.

I'll be at the show in Victoria tonight, excited to see what happens there!

I truly detest it when the shouty shitheads are out in full force at MG shows...Sidney was amazing b/c the crowd and MG had such great mojo - it was an exceptional show. I find he is often upsetty spaghetti at Vic shows so it was a treat and I hope tonight goes smoothly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just got back from the Victoria show as the venue is 3 blocks from my place.  It was amazing.  Matt really seems to have the songs down, he sounds like he is in top form.  The crowd was great at this one.  It felt like the show had really good balance.  Silent Army was played, so I don't think it was a mistake when that was in a previous account of a set list.  Everything else played has already been noted here in previous shows.  I went to this one solo, I felt like I could really get into it.  I might end up going to more shows solo rather bringing someone along that isn't quite as into it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Curtster said:

I just got back from the Victoria show as the venue is 3 blocks from my place.  It was amazing.  Matt really seems to have the songs down, he sounds like he is in top form.  The crowd was great at this one.  It felt like the show had really good balance.  Silent Army was played, so I don't think it was a mistake when that was in a previous account of a set list.  Everything else played has already been noted here in previous shows.  I went to this one solo, I felt like I could really get into it.  I might end up going to more shows solo rather bringing someone along that isn't quite as into it.

Was there too and tup noticed big time how much less rusty Matt was compared to Sidney and his voice seemed stronger. Great show and amazing setlist never thought I'd ever hear Change of Season live so pretty awesome as a final encore.  Crowd was respectful, but not very engaging.  As such Matt's banter was significantly less than Sidney to the point of nearly being nonexistent by comparison. 

 

Curtster, 

I'm fortunate to have a few friends really into MG. But going solo can really be great too. There is nothing worse than attending a concert by an artist you love and not being able to become fully immersed in it because the person beside you is bored and wants to go. I've seen hundreds of shows and probably a couple dozen matt good shows by myself and some of my favourite times have been at those shows. Glad you've been enjoying the concerts!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In case any of you are interested to have a listen I recorded some audio from the Sidney, BC show and most of the songs from tonight's show in Victoria. The audio is not terrible at all so if you feel inclined - here you go. :) https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1UYmgHdDOzbS91uIPF5v0dw1e6TdMqRbH?usp=sharing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, adam_777 said:

Haha fair enough! Your point is valid though these sets definitely cater to the hardcore obsessives who arent counting their first rodeo.  It's been pretty incredible to experience some long held wishlist songs live so far on this tour.  

They've honestly been so catered to my fave songs, it's eerie (and obviously distracting! Ha!).  Change of Season emerging has made me giddy and impatient for my shows.

16 hours ago, jennzebel said:

In case any of you are interested to have a listen I recorded some audio from the Sidney, BC show and most of the songs from tonight's show in Victoria. The audio is not terrible at all so if you feel inclined - here you go. 🙂https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1UYmgHdDOzbS91uIPF5v0dw1e6TdMqRbH?usp=sharing

You=hero.  *hands you a cape*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

thank you for the recording, show sounded beautiful.  I really don't think SWW  will ever not sound great live.  I used to always prefer full band to acoustic but I am starting to sway. Something magical happens when it's just Matt, a mic, and a guitar. Thank you to the tapers who allow us in the US to hear. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey foats, do you have one more question I can ask Matt at the Q&A to finish it off? I've got nothing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

would love to know if he would ever take the solo acoustic show to the US even if it''s just Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, etc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, foats said:

thank you for the recording, show sounded beautiful.  I really don't think SWW  will ever not sound great live.  I used to always prefer full band to acoustic but I am starting to sway. Something magical happens when it's just Matt, a mic, and a guitar. Thank you to the tapers who allow us in the US to hear. 

Right?! SWW was a pleasant surprise alright...I really love the solo acoustic tours best, only b/c I find MG to be much more engaged somehow - your term "magical" is perfect. So much of his music translates perfectly in that format...I feel bad for all you folk not in the vicinity of a show... 😞

2 hours ago, likeadeadstar said:

You=hero.  *hands you a cape*

haha *grabs cape & wears it to work*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Attended the Nanaimo show last night, and right from the opening song it just seemed this one was going to be special.  Some notes on the show 

- Matt opened with Champions which was quite a surprise.  Usually by the time a tour is a half dozen or so shows in, you feel like you know what to expect a little.  When Victoria had no songs get a tour debut, I thought the rotating list of songs from the first few shows would likely be "the list" for the first half of the tour.  The opening notes of Champions proved my assumption wrong! What a way to start a show
- The crowd in Nanaimo is always very into the shows.  I usually go to most if not all the shows on the Island and usually Nanaimo winds up being the highlight.  Peoples comments from the crowd had Matt crack up a few times.  There was also one guy shouting repeatedly for Apparitions from about the third song of the show onward.  Matt addressed him pointing out there was just no chance it wouldn't be played seeing as how he has never not played it since 1996.  Definitely more interaction between crowd and performer compared to the last show in Victoria, and as such the show was a full 20 minutes longer just reaching 2 hours.  
- Is Matt's fan base largely musically ignorant? He made a ton of references to artists and bands tonight and you could literally hear the people in the crowd going "who?" haha
- Two other songs got tour debuts tonight, Advertising on Police Cars, which he played because he wrote it back in 2001 while waiting for a ferry in Horseshoe Bay to come to Nanaimo, and A Boy and his Machine Gun.  
- Matt's voice is in incredible shape, he is just nailing these songs and it was just giving me chills.  His guitar playing has really tightened up since the first night in Sidney and its incredible how a week on tour can get your chops back into top shape.  The odd screw up now is nearly undetectable and the songs have such precision and impact, even though as Matt says music should be kept messy.  
- He continues to improvise on some songs even if slightly, meaning that even if a song has been played several times on the tour he sometimes alternates how he plays it so there is a uniqueness to each performance.  

This was my 41st time seeing Matt, and it was one of those shows that you just felt was going to have a special vibe to it.  You get to know when a performer is really feeling a show and Matt's demeanour and performance seemed to suggest he was enjoying playing on this night and continue to expand on his adventurous setlists, that as have been noted are definitely catering to the hardcore longtime fans.  A song like A Boy and his Machine Gun may not get the approval recognition cheers like Apparitions or Born Losers, but for a few dozen people in the audience, it can be one of the greatest moments they've ever experienced at a concert.  Being that we were just talking about how Matt busted this out in 2014 twice and now he picked it back up, I cant help but wonder if he was reading this thread.  If that's the case, if you really wanna blow people's minds Matt, open a show with Sharks of Downtown, haha some obscure song that wasn't even on a record and was only played briefly 23 years ago.  You'd literally hear a collective "WTF is this?" 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, adam_777 said:

A song like A Boy and his Machine Gun may not get the approval recognition cheers like Apparitions or Born Losers, but for a few dozen people in the audience, it can be one of the greatest moments they've ever experienced at a concert. 

That was the one that at the Beautiful Midnight Revisited tour had me in tears (I honestly had no idea I was going to react like that, it came as a surprise). When I saw it on the setlist for Nanaimo I jumped. I really hope I get to hear it acoustic. Mind you, I dunno if I can handle it! Full band had me crying silent tears- would the beauty of it acoustically have me wailing?? lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nanaimo is my absolute dream setlist for an acoustic MG show!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, foats said:

Nanaimo is my absolute dream setlist for an acoustic MG show!!

It was honestly incredible, def a top 5 of the 40+ Matt Shows I've seen, I couldnt have been happier.  And as always a recording coming this weekend :) 

 

 

3 hours ago, emmit643 said:

That was the one that at the Beautiful Midnight Revisited tour had me in tears (I honestly had no idea I was going to react like that, it came as a surprise). When I saw it on the setlist for Nanaimo I jumped. I really hope I get to hear it acoustic. Mind you, I dunno if I can handle it! Full band had me crying silent tears- would the beauty of it acoustically have me wailing?? lol

The amazing thing about Machine Gun acoustic is that to me, that song is from a place of extreme isolation.  I always had this image in my head of someone alone in a psych ward having those thoughts as expressed in the song.  So when it gets sung with just Matt and a guitar there is a loneliness, a vulnerability and honesty to it that isn't as apparent with the full band.  It just suits the mood of that song so well.  When Matt sings the line "You Fucking Animal" it stings in the dead silent air.  

Edited by adam_777

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Went to the last of my four shows on the Island last night conveniently in my hometown of Duncan.  With the dumping of snow it was kind of nice to only have about a 4 minute commute to this concert.  This show didn't quite live up to Nanaimo the night before, but was still alot of fun.  A couple of notes on the show: 
- This one ran about 1hr 50 mins, which seems to be about the average length of shows on this tour so far.  
- With it being a weekend show I thought the crowd might be a little more rowdy like they were in Nanaimo and the show did start that way, with the crowd engaging Matt in his between song banter, but it was weird as the night went on, the crowd got much quieter, to like the Victoria level where between songs during Matt's banter at times you could literally hear a pin drop.  Matt was talking about a lot of other music tonight including Pink Floyd, Bruce Springsteen and Simon and Garfunkel and it's weird how like foreign most of this seemed to the crowd.  Like when Matt played "The Only Living Boy in New York" In the encore, afterwards he talked a bit about how frequently he'd listen to that song growing up and how much his dad loved it, and it just fell on dead air, like the crowd was entirely unfamiliar with Simon and Garfunkel or something.  Anyways I noticed that as the crowd got less engaged Matt began to shorten his conversations and mostly just start going into the next song.  
- It was kind of cool at this show how he was pairing songs from albums together.  He played Fearless and Symbolistic back to back, as well as Born Losers and Metal Airplanes, they kind of functioned as mini snapshots into periods in his artistic life and I thought that played out quite well.  
-Was excited to hear Metal Airplanes and The Only Living Boy in New York at this show as to that point they were the only two songs that had been played on tour that I hadn't seen at one of the shows I was at.  Matt really does a great job at S&G covers! 
- Someone in the crowd kept loudly shouting for Omissions of the Omen, which Matt did comment on saying it was easier to sing because its so low, but he never played it.  
-I'm thinking he made a substitution on the setlist at the end.  In the picture he posted of the setlist it only showed two encore songs, but he did play three, the final being Change of Season.  But just before he played that there seemed to be a bit of confusion, resulting in the lyrics stand being brought out on a delay after a few funny comments from Matt towards his guitar tech.  I wonder what else he had on the list.  
-The guys doing sound and lights are really doing a great job.  Every show I notice subtle improvements to the light show that really dramatize the music.  The entire visual of Los Alamos with that haunting guitar and Matt's whispered vocals are absolutely mesmerizing, its incredible what the whole crew is doing with such minimalist equipment, absolutely outstanding and deserving of recognition.  
- Matt continues to change things up even on songs that are played nightly.  Load Me Up tonight was the most noticeable difference with Matt letting the crowd sing the chorus (oddly the crowd was super reserved and clearly didn't know the lyrics haha, pretty much they got "all the way out" and that's about it) 
- Matt had some interesting comments about how much he enjoys switching setlists up, and commented on how he can't understand why some bands want to play the same show every night.  He specifically mentioned people going to multiple shows getting to hear different things which is just another indicator that he is really focusing on giving his most diehard fans something truly special with this tour.  

Matt is leaving the West Coast now and heading East, pretty excited for all you in Alberta who get to see him next week, the shows wont disappoint.  Looking forward to seeing him again in St. Albert next week! 

Edited by adam_777

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/4/2019 at 1:48 PM, sympathizer said:

Hey everyone,

I'm wondering if someone can provide some info on the tour merch? I'm reeeeeally hoping that the tour poster (with the acoustic guitar) will be available as a screen print? Holding out hope for that hardcore!

I really want that tour poster too. I will keep you posted and will post a pic if I see it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In Lake Country Matt debuted Time Bomb and Empty Road.  Tonight in Nelson Time Bomv was played again but empty road was dropped. Sounds like there was a fist fight in the crowd in Nelson tonight too

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/12/2019 at 12:41 AM, adam_777 said:

In Lake Country Matt debuted Time Bomb and Empty Road.  Tonight in Nelson Time Bomv was played again but empty road was dropped. Sounds like there was a fist fight in the crowd in Nelson tonight too

What was Matt’s reaction? I know in the past he has not taken kindly to folks becoming violent at his shows. 

https://youtu.be/dKm1WRp5Rs8

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, daniel_v said:

What was Matt’s reaction? I know in the past he has not taken kindly to folks becoming violent at his shows. 

https://youtu.be/dKm1WRp5Rs8

 

I want there so I dont know. I'm guessing he was less than impressed hes always been very vocal about how ridiculous it is. I've seen it happen at a few electric shows. But never an acoustic one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey, team. I’m going to the Airdrie show tonight. This will be my first of ten shows on this tour, so I’ll be busy over the next couple of weeks. I’m hoping for some good clean fun. We don’t need any fisticuffs in the crowd, especially at an acoustic show. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NonPopulus said:

Hey, team. I’m going to the Airdrie show tonight. This will be my first of ten shows on this tour, so I’ll be busy over the next couple of weeks. I’m hoping for some good clean fun. We don’t need any fisticuffs in the crowd, especially at an acoustic show. 

 

That's awesome man, first of ten, well I doubt you will be disappointed with that.  Each night is unique to the one before it, the setlist digs deep and is varied each night and Matt has been in great form.  Looking forward to seeing your thoughts on the shows! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I asked your question at the VIP today, Daniel. He said it was a good question and it got him thinking. He said "well done." l will give details soon. 

I think he played Radicals, So Long Mrs. Smith, and How It Goes at the VIP. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.