IamNick

In a Place of Lesser Men

I saw on Matt's Instagram post about Lights of Endangered Species that the inclusion of In a Place of Lesser Men on the album was maybe a mistake, has he elaborated on this before? just curious. it's a good song, but I could see how musically it doesn't quite fit with the rest of the album. or does he in retrospect dislike the song for some reason?

ps. just listening to LoES again, Set Me On Fire is such a good song

I saw that too.  I don't disagree with his opinion.  That song seems a little off tonally from the rest of the album.  I don't know if it's just the intro and the starting piano chord, but it does sound a little jarring when listening through the album.  I don't dislike the song that much though, just doesn't really fit.

I still stand by my belief that Hornets should have gone as the lead single in place of In A Place (haha) and I firmly believe that For and Against could have slid in instead of Extraordinary Fades. Lights is and probably will always be my favourite of his albums but the inclusions of those songs would have made it a perfect album imo. 

23 hours ago, Jessafur said:

I still stand by my belief that Hornets should have gone as the lead single in place of In A Place (haha) and I firmly believe that For and Against could have slid in instead of Extraordinary Fades. Lights is and probably will always be my favourite of his albums but the inclusions of those songs would have made it a perfect album imo. 

I was just about to say that I would so much rather have had  Hornets there instead of Lesser Men.  I figured Matt wasn't totally enamoured with Lesser Men because when he toured lights, he never bothered to play it live, and it was the lead single.  I remember seeing him in Duncan on the 2009 tour, and the first song of the encore was Last Parade and Matt made a comment about how he had made the setlist and realized during the show that he hadn't penciled in the lead single of his current record, so he made sure to play it in the encore.  So that goes to show he thought not having a lead single for a tour supporting an album in the setlist for all shows was a mistake, but on the very next tour he not only didn't play Lesser Men at every show, he didn't play it at any, so I think he very early on changed his mind about that song and decided to focus on other aspects of the record instead.  For the record he regularly played everything else off the album except Extraordinary Fades.