Sign in to follow this  
mackie1023

And another new demo

http://www.matthewgood.org/news/2019/1/11/the-challenges-of-current-affairs

Of the fourteen songs I’ve written for the next record, only one dwells in one might characterize as the political realm. One of the great difficulties any writer faces is examining lyrical content so that it’s both timely and timeless. A failed example on my part would be North American For Life from 2004’s White Light Rock And Roll Review in which I specifically evoke George Bush’s name. So there is certainly an art to it. Masters Of War, for example, remains, in my opinion, the greatest lament against conflict and the arms industry ever penned - and it was released in 1963. 

So it’s a tricky thing. 

To open this song I had to find a way to characterize both President Trump, his supporters, and the rise of the far right, both in the US and Europe, without it being overly conspicuous. I then had to do the same with regards to other subjects. 

I tend to get a lot of questions from song writers, be they casual enthusiasts or musicians starting out, so I thought I’d take this opportunity to address this particular topic given I wrote and demoed this track last night. 

The next two weeks will be spent rehearsing for the tour, so last night’s final “command save” was the end of the writing process for me on this one. I’m very much looking forward to getting into the studio in the spring and laying it down. 

As is customary, the demo will be taken down shortly.”

This one sounds great! I'm pretty excited for the tour now! I wonder how many new songs he'll play?

i'm liking this. reminds me a lot of If I Was A Tidal Wave.

Never cared for Tidal Wave, but this demo was very cool. Glad he's going back to acoustic. Been a while since we've had an acoustic-based record. Probably since Lights (and that's pushing it given all the other instrumentation and Non Populus).

Edited by Gomo

Ya I missed it too, but loving the positive reviews. I'm a big Tidal Wave fan so anything in that arena is thumbs up. 

to be clear, it's like a much slower version of If I Was A Tidal Wave. also the subject is political as well.