daniel_v

Sicily Video

Pretty cool. Second professional video Matt's been in since 2004. Really like the setting, lighting, fireworks and, for the most part, the editing. Nice to see he included his new girlfriend in the video too. Glad to see the guy has someone in his life again.  Also just appreciated Matt's presence in the video in general. He always seems to convey a good sense of authenticity (I'm thinking specifically of the Apparitions and Strange Day videos). 

Thoughts?

Edited by daniel_v
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I quite enjoyed it. I haven't seen a music video of his that used lighting this well in a while, it was very refreshing to see. I noticed that the description says the album is called "Moving Walls". It's an interesting title and I'm curious to know how that plays in to the broader context of the album. 

• Like 1

I think this is Matt's best video in at least 15 years.  It's a great video.  The song is catchy, and the lyrics are great.

My first guess as to the meaning of the song/video is that he's talking about all the shit his fans/the public gives him about his personal life and relationships, and how even though he's famous and should be accustomed to it these comments still hurt him.  This eludes to him wearing the clown makeup also, maybe he feels like sometimes he's treated as just a performer simply for our own entertainment (a clown) and us fans sometimes don't treat him like a real human being with feelings.  I get that from this:

" Maybe I'm just bad at things, Maybe I'm just better off camera, 'Cause I feel everything, And you know, maybe it's time I oughta".

I think Sicily, where Matt vacationed to Italy recently, was maybe a place Matt could feel free, and completely anonymous without all the BS that comes with fame, a place where he and a new relationship can be free of the burdens and drama of Canada.

Maybe the song is referring to him getting over his ex, some drama between them that's happened, and moving on to a new relationship.

• Like 1

On 11/24/2019 at 4:11 AM, Moonlight_Graham said:

I think this is Matt's best video in at least 15 years.  It's a great video.  The song is catchy, and the lyrics are great.

My first guess as to the meaning of the song/video is that he's talking about all the shit his fans/the public gives him about his personal life and relationships, and how even though he's famous and should be accustomed to it these comments still hurt him.  This eludes to him wearing the clown makeup also, maybe he feels like sometimes he's treated as just a performer simply for our own entertainment (a clown) and us fans sometimes don't treat him like a real human being with feelings.  I get that from this:

" Maybe I'm just bad at things, Maybe I'm just better off camera, 'Cause I feel everything, And you know, maybe it's time I oughta".

I think Sicily, where Matt vacationed to Italy recently, was maybe a place Matt could feel free, and completely anonymous without all the BS that comes with fame, a place where he and a new relationship can be free of the burdens and drama of Canada.

Maybe the song is referring to him getting over his ex, some drama between them that's happened, and moving on to a new relationship.

That's a completely different vibe from what I got. When he says "Cause I feel everything and you know maybe it's time I oughta" and the face he does when he sings it, what I got is that he may have been emotionnally numb in some aspects of his life or purposefully ignoring some feelings he had and now he's been able to feel them and/or go through what he had to and feels better now.

Also someone on Matt's Instagram complained that it was cheesy to write a song with the name of the city he visited and Matt said that he didn't go to Sicily and that it had nothing to do with the title.

• Like 1

With regards to the topic/theme of the video/song, I think the fact that different people are drawing different things from it goes to show how Matt is still great at crafting. Anytime people can look at/listen to something and get different things out of it, that means it can reach more people, and that's one of the reasons Matt's work is so impactful- because it's crafted in a way that is subjective and open to interpretation. Personally, I love it when artists (even though something obviously has its own personal meaning to them) leave it up to the audience to interpret the theme.

As far as the video goes, Matt spoke to ET Canada just recently and has this to say about it:  The intent behind the video was to juxtapose the oddity of the saddened perception of the clowns with their obvious companionship and the strength of it revealed in the video,” Good said in a statement. “It’s a comment on how, in this day and age, the complexities of emotion are presented as uncomfortable. That one must be a standardized happy to be happy.”

https://etcanada.com/news/544482/matthew-good-debuts-music-video-for-his-emotional-new-single-sicily/

On a slightly different topic, I have to admit, it has been a pleasant surprise that because I like the video so much it seems to have made me appreciate the song itself more. I'll admit, when I first heard Sicily I was kind of..."meh" about it. Didn't think it was bad and didn't think it was great. Now every time I hear it I picture the video in my head and it makes me appreciate the song more. Funny how association works like that. 

Edited by daniel_v
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, daniel_v said:

On a slightly different topic, I have to admit, it has been a pleasant surprise that because I like the video so much it seems to have made me appreciate the song itself more. I'll admit, when I first heard Sicily I was kind of..."meh" about it. Didn't think it was bad and didn't think it was great. Now every time I hear it I picture the video in my head and it makes me appreciate the song more. Funny how association works like that. 

Same here! ? 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1