Crusader

Matthew Good 2020 tour!

I'm happy to see the album and tour announced!  I was starting to wonder when the album release was going to be announced.

I'm disappointed in the venue choice for Victoria though.  It's just a big nightclub, I haven't been there for an actual show, just random nights out, but I would imagine the sightlines are bad from a lot of places.  It's also down a bunch of stairs and any seating they may have probably doesn't have a good view of the stage (I have a disability).  It seems like a really odd choice for a Matt Good show given what the demographic of his fans probably is at this point.  The nature of the unseated GA venue will probably create a good atmosphere though, and may inspire Matt to play a heavier set.

Edited by Curtster
  • Upvote 1

Definitely gonna go to the NYC show. I've been to that venue before. Pretty small stage. Dunno if I'll go for VIP but I'll definitely be there and hopefully right up front.

I wonder how many of the new songs will translate to acoustic.

Edited by Gomo

Leave it to Matthew Good — peerless singer/songwriter, bona fide if reluctant rock star, notorious straight-shooter — to transform a simple question into an astute observation about people’s relationship to music. To wit: ask Good to sum up his dazzling new solo album, the sumptuous, orchestral, and wildly multifaceted Moving Walls in an elevator pitch, and the B.C.-based performer responds not with a snappy list of styles and moods but with a clearheaded analogy fit for the era. “Twenty years ago I’d be dying to tell people what my music sounds like and where it should be slotted in,” Good says. “Not now. I made a piece of art and it’s out there in the world for anyone who chooses to find it. “Given my age and that it’s mostly acoustic, I guess you could call Moving Walls adult contemporary. It’s not a rock record, that’s for sure. But in this day of everyone knowing everything, I really like the idea of people figuring things out for themselves.” And there you have Moving Walls, and Good’s highly decorated and decades-long career, in a nutshell: he writes it how he sees it, straight from the heart. How the music is interpreted or consumed matters less than the fact that it’s simply heard. The methodology has worked wonders for Good since he emerged in the 1990s fronting the acclaimed Matthew Good Band, and it’s kept him true through umpteen solo albums, culminating in the 15-track Moving Walls, which was recorded at the legendary Bathouse Studio in spring 2019 with multiple marquee guests.

“I had the album name going in. It seemed symbolic given what was going on in my life,” he says. “It’s the idea of being in situations where things just keep moving. Even something as seemingly permanent as a wall can be disassembled.”Entirely written by Good (who adds guitar, synthesizer, and all lead vocals) and cut with long-time collaborator, producer/engineer Warne Livesey (who adds various instruments while sprinkling pixie dust throughout), Moving Walls is at once a revelation and a return to form.Buoyant lead single “Sicily” for example, finds Good traversing familiar pop territory, setting a chiming chorus against propulsive electric guitar from ace musician Stuart Cameron. Then comes the iridescent “Boobytrapped,” with its soaring cello and viola and Good’s achingly poignant lyrics, which find our man alone in a car at night, feeling “Quiet, like a lake must after the summer’s gone.”

“That song is about being lost but also about finding someone,” Good offers. “After going through a lifetime of wrong people, and feeling booby-trapped to begin with, then feeling like you’re not. I juxtaposed the verses and the chorus in between talking about a very solitary thing: driving and parking somewhere alone, which I do, then sketching out the empty spaces.” Elsewhere, the candlelit, slowing-building ballad “Selling You My Heart” offers an extraordinarily intimate window into Good’s creative process throughout Moving Walls, which was at once challenging yet supremely freeing in its execution. “During this album, I was living with my mom and dad. I moved here after my divorce. My dad has dementia and now terminal cancer, so I’ve been helping my mom,” Good says with estimable candor, no doubt reflecting the reality of many people old enough to clearly remember the 1990s. And maybe also the 1980s.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Thanks for the info. So it sounds like he'll play more than a few new songs at the acoustic shows and not necessarily old stuff with a couple new ones mixed in. That's cool. I like the lyric about the lake. 

15 songs is a lot for him. I wonder if any are short interludes. 

Also personal note, I'm happy the album is coming out my mom's birthday. The music of Matt Good helped me deal with her passing back in '03.

18 hours ago, Curtster said:

'm disappointed in the venue choice for Victoria though.  It's just a big nightclub. 

Its very strange, isn't it? I don't get why he chose that venue either. Royal McPherson and Alix Goolden must have already been booked. 

40 minutes ago, RickDalton said:

Does anyone know how to buy the VIP pass the link does not appear to be working the MG site? 

A few days too early it seems, VIP tickets will go on sale along with the public on-sale.

VIP Package & Public On-sale - Friday, Dec 13th @ 10am Local Time

20 minutes ago, gursky said:

A few days too early it seems, VIP tickets will go on sale along with the public on-sale.

It says the VIP is an add-on sale item does this mean you can pre-order the regular tickets today and add the VIP on the 13th - I don't want to end up buying twice the amount of tickets 

3 minutes ago, RickDalton said:

It says the VIP is an add-on sale item does this mean you can pre-order the regular tickets today and add the VIP on the 13th - I don't want to end up buying twice the amount of tickets 

Yes exactly, buy your ticket today, then when VIP goes on sale in a few days buy that as well...just make sure you buy the VIP for the show you are going to...Like say you were going to the Victoria show on April 8th, make sure you buy the VIP for the 8th as well.  

7 minutes ago, adam_777 said:

Yes exactly, buy your ticket today, then when VIP goes on sale in a few days buy that as well...just make sure you buy the VIP for the show you are going to...Like say you were going to the Victoria show on April 8th, make sure you buy the VIP for the 8th as well.  

Thanks guys 

Hey y’all. Long time no login.

see you in Kingston, Ottawa x2 and Montreal. Maybe if I’m feeling crazy I might add Toronto. But we’ll see XD

Side note: I was very surprised that for a full band show...Corona theatre was assigned seats and not GA??? Even for the seated acoustic show it was still GA. So, yeah. Curveball surprise. I would’ve hauled ass to get my Montreal ticket first this morning before Ottawa if I had known that lol.

3 hours ago, adam_777 said:

Just my locals this time, Nanaimo two in Victoria two in Vancouver.  All are GA except Nanaimo. How bout yourself? 

Just the Edmonton show, few other potential shows to be announced in the year that i want to go to and I don't want to push my luck with the wife haha plus i have a hard time doing long drives, I don't want to get in an accident just for a concert

3 minutes ago, PlasticSoldier said:

Just the Edmonton show, few other potential shows to be announced in the year that i want to go to and I don't want to push my luck with the wife haha plus i have a hard time doing long drives, I don't want to get in an accident just for a concert

Ya after the last tour which did so many shows in Alberta I was a little surprised to see how few were on this tour, so doesn't give you Northern Albertans too many options without some pretty extended driving.