MatthewGoodFan101

Matt Good Q&A from November 2001

I just found this internet Q&A Matt did with JAM! Music  on November 5, 2001,  a time when MGB was in limbo. Matt gave some interesting answers, like when asked if he 'd "ever consider putting out an acoustic album with some of your heavier songs remixed acoustically?", he responded saying "No, not really. No. I f**king hate remixes of s**t. It seems like a perfectly good waste of time when one could be doing something new". Obviously Matt changed his mind about that.

Matt's longest and most insightful answer was to the question "Are you satisfied with your career as it stands now?" Matt said no, and talked about "people whining about not getting enough exposure or money" and Dave being a 12 year old.

It's a fun, interesting read for an MG fan. Here's the link:

https://web.archive.org/web/20041009234910/http://www.canoe.com/JamChat/mgb2.html

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, MatthewGoodFan101 said:

I just found this internet Q&A Matt did with JAM! Music  on November 5, 2001,  a time when MGB was in limbo. Matt gave some interesting answers, like when asked if he 'd "ever consider putting out an acoustic album with some of your heavier songs remixed acoustically?", he responded saying "No, not really. No. I f**king hate remixes of s**t. It seems like a perfectly good waste of time when one could be doing something new". Obviously Matt changed his mind about that.

Matt's longest and most insightful answer was to the question "Are you satisfied with your career as it stands now?" Matt said no, and talked about "people whining about not getting enough exposure or money" and Dave being a 12 year old.

It's a fun, interesting read for an MG fan. Here's the link:

https://web.archive.org/web/20041009234910/http://www.canoe.com/JamChat/mgb2.html

There's a lot of interesting questions and answers in there. Guess it just goes to show that time does change your perspective sometimes and other times it doesn't. One question that stood out to me in that regard was the question about taking heavier songs and reworking them acoustically and Matt's pejorative feelings about the idea at that time. While his answer made complete sense at the time, I'm glad he changed his mind and actually did go that route with some of the songs on Rooms. For example, even though Hello Time Bomb seems to be a song most people prefer the full band version of, I'm probably one of the few people who really appreciate the acoustic version more. It has such a calming effect on me when I listen to it. Load Me Up is another one. Don't get me wrong, I love the regular version of it too (especially when it's played live with the live band jam for the bridge), but I really appreciated the folk/country version that was released on the BM revisited album as well. 

Wow... this was published less than a week after AOB came out...

Guy Smiley: Greetings It's well established that you are very critical of your work. That said, what is your biggest criticism of The Audio of Being?

Matthew Good: That is a difficult question to answer. It was a record made under duress. I can't say I like it as an album whatsoever. I am not fond of it. I will never be put in a position where I make a record like that again, having personal conflicts while i am making something, I won't stand for it.

His mind was made up pretty early! ?

Edited by Tips