Sign in to follow this  
Scott Rodgerson

Alternate MG Album Covers

As an exercise over the years, I've designed a ton of (alternate) album art, some using other artists' materials, some entirely self-generated. If you've ever seen that Cold Harbor cover with the blacked out figure looking at a ship, that's one of mine-- though embarrassingly bad since I wasn't an art director yet.

I figured I'd drop them in here for the only group of people who'd really be interested. Enjoy.

Bontempo.jpg

Cold Harbor.jpg

Last of the Ghetto Astronauts.jpg

Matthew Good - WLRRR.jpg

MG - CN.jpg

Something Like a Storm2.jpg

Subversive Literature.jpg

Vancouver 2.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

These are really good. Love the work!

• Like 1

I consider helping people replace the Vancouver cover to be a public service.

• Like 1

Wow, I'm in love with the Subversive Literature art (and a nice Radio Bomb callback too)! Really puts my custom art to shame haha. Thank you so much for sharing these with us! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Man those are some beautiful covers! I especially like the Subversive Literature (which is a great idea and title) and Vancouver ones. The WLRARR (a lit up and upside down American flag during the Iraq War 👍), CN, and SLAS are great choices and concepts too. Thanks a lot for sharing! 

Edited by daniel_v

Those are amazing! I wish Matt could see those and consider your work for his next record!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Tips said:

Those are amazing! I wish Matt could see those and consider your work for his next record!

Oh, he's seen 'em. Not really a gig I want, though.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Scott Rodgerson said:

Oh, he's seen 'em. Not really a gig I want, though.

Oh fair enough 😛

If anybody recalls the posters for the 2008 tour, they might enjoy this. Back in '05 I shot a few gigs, and this shot from a St. Catherine's show ended up being used later on. I was still shooting on film back then, god help me.

Actually, funny story--I was 20 at the time, and knowing that I was gonna shoot the gig, I ended up going to another band's show in Hamilton since Pat Steward was drumming with them (Stripper's Union, with some dudes from the Odds and the Hip). I was trying to get a sense of what I was in for, and it was no small comfort to hear that it wasn't just me who got ultra-short email replies from Matt.  A few days later I was in Toronto to see a friend, and walking down Bay I thought I saw someone I recognized. Pat Steward. I guess I got close enough to give him a shout. He turns around searches me, then points and says my name, not totally sure. I assured him I wasn't stalking him (this may have been an unforced error). Anyway, he asks what I'm listening to on my giant-ass headphones. Five seconds later, he's wearing said headphones and air drumming to something off NIN's With Teeth in the middle of Bay Street.

Really lovely guy; it was always a pleasure to bump into him at shows. Heading into shooting for a guy I admired as a kid,  Pat's presence and attitude made a real difference.

battle stations.jpg

Additional unsolicited fun fact: As a gift for my best friend, a few years back I created a proper physical version of the Bontempo record (art, packaging, the works) and got Matt to sign it. Then I gave him an off-colour, error-riddled recap of Empire Strikes Back.

19 hours ago, Scott Rodgerson said:

If anybody recalls the posters for the 2008 tour, they might enjoy this. Back in '05 I shot a few gigs, and this shot from a St. Catherine's show ended up being used later on. I was still shooting on film back then, god help me.

I actually do remember that poster and thought that pic was really cool.  That's awesome you did that.  I'm not sure if there were variations but searching now,  it was this or something close to it. Great work. 

Matthew Good Live In At The Kee

That's it. Can't tell you how cool it was to see that shot on a giant video screen in my town.

On 6/27/2020 at 8:12 AM, Stwlegend said:

I actually do remember that poster and thought that pic was really cool.  That's awesome you did that.  I'm not sure if there were variations but searching now,  it was this or something close to it. Great work. 

Matthew Good Live In At The Kee

My wife got me this poster autographed and framed it for me as a Christmas gift...it’s hanging proudly in our house 😊

• Upvote 1

On 6/26/2020 at 2:25 PM, Scott Rodgerson said:

Looks like Arizona's in Thorold.