daniel_v

Questions for Ian Browne (LOTGA 25th Anniversary Interview)

Hi everyone, in celebration of the 25th anniversary of LOTGA I’m supposed to be doing a video interview with Ian on Canada Day (this Wednesday). We’re of course going to be talking about LOTGA, Ian’s thoughts on the album, and what recording it was like. “If” we have the time I’d be happy to throw in some questions from users here on The Bored. We’ve scheduled about 45 minutes to an hour for the interview so depending on how short or long it takes me to get through the questions and format I’ve drafted, it’s possible I might have time to field some questions from here. 

So if anyone does have any questions for Ian please feel free to leave them below. I can’t guarantee I’ll be able to fit them in, but I will make an honest effort if people do post a few below. 

If people don’t have any, that’s fine too. Just wanted to make sure I made the offer in case anyone was interested. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 6/29/2020 at 11:13 AM, foats said:

Ian, what is the rarest piece of MGB merch you have and how much?   Thank you, your neighbor to the South. 

37 minutes ago, Chris85 said:

Trying to think of an interesting question to ask. At the time LOTGA was being recorded, were there other bands that influenced Ian? Any bands that influenced the group?

I'll add these to the list ?

Also, the interview has been moved back to this Saturday so both me and Ian have a little more time to get our ducks in a row. So if people have more questions please feel free to continue adding them. 

Where does LOTGA rank in comparison to the rest of the MGB catalog to Ian?   

Did Ian have any conversations about keeping MGB going before the final dissolving, or any discussion on being involved in the early days of Matt's solo work?

I'm just finishing the final touches on the intro to the interview tonight and will edit out just a couple seconds of material from various parts tomorrow. So hopefully I'll have this posted in the next few days if all goes well. 

• Upvote 3

So...all has not gone well. Not well at all.

I have good news and bad news.

Good news is that everything is put together and done. 

Bad news is that Youtube has decided to be...unpleasant- for the sole purpose of aggravating me- by screwing up my upload attempts twice in the last little bit. On Monday night I tried uploading it before I went to bed thinking that when I woke up the video would have been uploaded and processed. Instead I woke up at 5 yesterday in the morning to find the process had frozen at 47 percent. So, I canceled the upload, altered the sleep time on my computer in case that was what interrupted the process , and began the upload again 15 minutes later. My thinking was that by the time I got home from work in the afternoon that surely the video would have been uploaded and processed this time. 

Unfortunately yesterday turned into one of those days where just about anything that could go wrong did go wrong.

I got home at 3:30 to find the video was frozen at the 99 percent processed line. Then an hour later it decided to tell me the video was too long to be processed (which it isn't since it is no where near the max limit- 128 GBs). That was...frustrating....to put it lightly. 

I'm now reformatting a version that is in AVI format instead of MP4 (which I should have done in the first place to decrease the file size). Once that's done I'm going to try the upload process again and pray that Youtube decides not to screw me again this time. 

That said, if anyone has any other suggestions I am most definitely open to trying them. I'm converting from Videopad (NCH) if anyone has much experience using that program. I was considering reformatting it in lossless form (since apparently it provides the highest quality export with the lowest file size?) but when I looked at the formatting it was stuck at a default setting of 15 FPS which would be just a little too low for what I've put together in Videopad. This is my first time doing any even semi-serious video editing so I'm really a novice at all of this who is just learning by trial and error. 

Edited by daniel_v

Too long to be processed might mean actual video length. I think new YouTube accounts might only be allowed to have 10 minute long videos? Not 100% sure but it used to be like that way back when.

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/71673?co=GENIE.Platform%3DAndroid&hl=en

It seems to be 15 minutes.

Edited by Crusader

3 hours ago, Crusader said:

Too long to be processed might mean actual video length. I think new YouTube accounts might only be allowed to have 10 minute long videos? Not 100% sure but it used to be like that way back when.

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/71673?co=GENIE.Platform%3DAndroid&hl=en

It seems to be 15 minutes.

Yeah, if the account isn't verified you can't go over the 15 minute mark. All good though, I got everything figured out ?

Interview is now posted: 

• Like 1