AnOceanPearl

July 17/20 - online show via Side Door

a pretty cool idea I think, gives the fans something interesting to look forward to and a chance to give Matt a little support in this difficult time for musicians and artists.  Looking forward to the show!

• Upvote 2

More info about the show:

• You do not need to have a Zoom account to view the show.
  • You will likely be muted. Please feel free to use the chat and turn on your video to engage with the community.
  • If possible, use hard-wired internet rather than Wi-Fi (connected to your modem via an ethernet cable). If using Wi-Fi, turn off any other devices on your Wi-Fi network to protect your bandwidth.
  • Please be respectful of the performer(s) and other guests.
  • Like 1

Very excited for this. As artists have had their revenue completely dissolve recently, I think there's a lot of fans who would like to help out in some way. While I've enjoyed that some of my favourites have jumped online and done a free little thing, I'm sure it's very important to many fans that the musicians they have connected with are financially able to continue doing what they want to.

Really hoping I can make the next show. I would love to know the set list/read tidbits of any interesting Q&A from tonight If that’s not against Matt’s wishes!

Judging by the above screenshot, I’m also super impressed that Zoom can handle nearly 1k users all with their own video/audio.

Edited by MarketTomato

1 hour ago, Moonlight_Graham said:

Says 822 participants.  Basically zero overhead, glad he gets some good profit fro the show.  $20 x 822 = $16,440.  Killer coin for a few hours work lol.

Show was sold out at 1,000 people, technically, Zoom participants/sessions. I saw the number of participants cap out at 888, so either some did not show up or there were instances of some buying multiple tickets but only used one Zoom session.

1,000 participants * $20.00 = $20,000.

Artist (80% of total revenue) = $16,000

Side Door fees (10% of total revenue) = $2,000

Host fees (10% of total revenue, but is negotiable) = $2,000

Additional fees include sale taxes and SOCAN fees.

Edited by Chris85
  • Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Chris85 said:

Show was sold out at 1,000 people, technically, Zoom participants/sessions. I saw the number of participants cap out at 888, so either some did not show up or there were instances of some buying multiple tickets but only used one Zoom session.

I saw a bunch of people who bought tickets couldn't get into the Zoom feed.  I assume those are them.

For anyone who wants to use their Ethernet cable for future show, to save yourself from having to run a long Cat 5/6 cable from your modem to any room in the house,  you could install an outlet near the router/modem (depending on your setup) with an RJ45 jack (similar to a phone jack), then run that cable through the wall into the room you're wanting to watch from. Install another outlet on that end (similar to a phone jack), that way all you'll need to do is plug your Ethernet cable into the wall on both ends. No more having to run a cable.  I did this for my father in-law when I installed an access point for him.  Works great.  Wi-fi is convenient, but nothing beats a straight connection to your router using an Ethernet cable.

• Upvote 1

On 7/17/2020 at 11:42 PM, Chris85 said:

Slight nudge on those numbers: MG, Dan Mangan, Bernie Breen, and anyone else on MG's team would count in the 1000 limit but would not have paid.

Also: the Host fee shouldn't apply here since MG is hosting it himself. Side Door was originally set up for people hosting concerts in their homes, and I believe that's what that 10% is for.

Having seen a couple of these, I'm still not entirely sold on Zoom as a reliable provider for this kind of thing. I like this kind of thing and I think it's brilliant, but having 5-10% of your paying customers not be able to access the stream because of technical problems isn't really great for business. (I haven't used Zoom as much recently, but a couple of months ago, my company repeatedly had issues where one or more of us would be locked out of a call, and there were only a handful of us involved.)

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, uglyredhonda said:

Slight nudge on those numbers: MG, Dan Mangan, Bernie Breen, and anyone else on MG's team would count in the 1000 limit but would not have paid.

Also: the Host fee shouldn't apply here since MG is hosting it himself. Side Door was originally set up for people hosting concerts in their homes, and I believe that's what that 10% is for.

Having seen a couple of these, I'm still not entirely sold on Zoom as a reliable provider for this kind of thing. I like this kind of thing and I think it's brilliant, but having 5-10% of your paying customers not be able to access the stream because of technical problems isn't really great for business. (I haven't used Zoom as much recently, but a couple of months ago, my company repeatedly had issues where one or more of us would be locked out of a call, and there were only a handful of us involved.)

Good points about MG and team.

I do feel bad for those who experienced technical difficulties getting on Zoom for the concert. Overall, my experience with Zoom has been fairly positive, mind you, most meetings I have been on, the number of participants has not exceeded 35.