daniel_v

An Interview with Ian Browne (Part 2)

Haven't had a chance to watch this yet, but just wanted to say thanks again for doing these interviews.  Throughout the years we have as fans gotten a good deal of Matt's perspective mainly because in the MGB days Matt was a primary presence on MUCH and in print for interviews and quotes.  Also because many of us here continue to follow his career we have heard subsequent interviews, comments made at concerts or in Matt's posts on social media or this site over the years.  Many of Matt's recollections these days tend toward the negative side of things, which is fair if that's how he remembers those moments, it's certainly his history to write and retell.  But during those years there were four other men on the stage as well who's stories we haven't usually heard from their mouths.  Dave would be present at some of the MUCH interviews and he has done other interviews like the ones above that offer some insight, but certainly nothing really career spanning or in depth.  We were fortunate to have Geoff here on the forums for a time before he passed and he was able to tell his side of things and answer some questions which lead to some hilarious back and forths and provided some interesting insights.  But with Geoff and now Rich passing many of those stories will sadly remain untold.  Because of that I think it's been incredible you and Ian have done these very indepth interviews over his time with MGB so that we can hear another perspective that hasn't been known to many in the fan community.  Everyone in a band is going to remember different things and sometimes in different ways, so it all helps to create a kind of tapestry of memories of the band, their history and some of the best and worst moments.  One thing I'll say is everyone involved has been very honest and forthcoming, there is no sugar coating and I appreciate that because you know you are hearing how they really feel.  All in all it was an interesting time for us as fans and we relate to the music in almost a spiritual way, interviews like this help to ground us in the reality that for these guys this was also a job, a way of life, a form of expression and a way to provide for their families, candid interviews like this help us to appreciate the reality above the romanticizing we tend to do as fans.  Very much looking forward to this Daniel and thanks for all the hard work! 

• Upvote 1

I’m partway through the interview and I hate to be that guy but I’m pretty sure Ian is mixed up on the release of the Underdogs singles. Automatic then Indestructible then Apparitions (not vice versa) then Rico was last. I have very very vivid memories of the order of those singles!  Rico came after Apparitions because the Rico video was supposed to be a kind of a continuation of the Apparitions video. The same girl in the Apparitions video (I think I read somewhere her name is Caroline???) shows up at the start of the Rico video (she’s an emotional wreck because the guy shot himself and she ends up going to the bar for a drink)

Anyways - this interview is fantastic and I can’t wait to finish it!

Edited by Prairieboy

8 hours ago, Prairieboy said:

I’m partway through the interview and I hate to be that guy but I’m pretty sure Ian is mixed up on the release of the Underdogs singles. Automatic then Indestructible then Apparitions (not vice versa) then Rico was last. I have very very vivid memories of the order of those singles!  Rico came after Apparitions because the Rico video was supposed to be a kind of a continuation of the Apparitions video. The same girl in the Apparitions video (I think I read somewhere her name is Caroline???) shows up at the start of the Rico video (she’s an emotional wreck because the guy shot himself and she ends up going to the bar for a drink)

Anyways - this interview is fantastic and I can’t wait to finish it!

You are right.

Just finished watching that whole interview - well done again Daniel.  To Ian’s point - yes AOB was issued on vinyl.  In fact it’s still available in the MG store. 

This whole interview has made me appreciate the “band” more and the MGB albums more. We’ll never see anything like that again...everything was just clicking at the time for those 6 years that they were together recording music. And sadly - there’s very little audio and likely no video from MGB concerts of that era. There’s no vault of b-sides or unreleased tracks. This is it. 4 albums and 2 EP’s.  But having listened to Ian talk about it wants me want to go back and listen very deeply to each album more. I’m glad I’ve picked up the vinyl of each of those albums too. 

I’m going to have to try AOB again too. Not going to lie - it’s my least favourite of all the albums. I don’t know why. Maybe it was the timing of it all...the fact that it was the end of the band and there was no tour around it, or just personal things in my own life. Great to hear Ian talk about songs like Fall of Man and Jenni’s Song though, that was great insight!

Hi everyone, glad most of the people who watched this enjoyed it. Definitely happy I could share something that was of interest to people here. 

With regards to the confusion on the release of Apparitions, it happens. It was so long ago I don't blame Ian for having a slightly mixed up memory about it, especially when their lives were so busy. But yeah, upon rewatching it the Much Music clips I spliced into the interview when we were discussing it even lists that it was the third single. 

With regards to Ian, Dave, Geoff, and Rich- and how all of them contributed to the band in their own ways that some people miss- I definitely don't disagree that I miss their contributions too and wish the three surviving members could find a way to work through their issues (if for no other reason than peace of mind for themselves because they all do truly seem like honestly good human beings). After all, baggage is called baggage for a reason. However, as I've stated before, I do have a lot of respect and admiration for all of the players that have worked with Matt since MGB broke up, and I also feel lucky that as a fan base we've all gotten to be exposed to so many amazing musicians who have each brought something unique to the table. 

For example, as undeniably amazing as MGB were live (and as utterly grateful I am that I got to see them live) I also think it's undeniable that Christian, Pat, Mark, and Rich were a part of some of the most amazing live shows Matt ever did. The extended versions and endings of certain songs were just out of this world. Christian had incredible texture (as seen in his live performances of Advertising on Police Cars), Mark was a beautiful pianist (as heard in Apparitions when he played with them in 2002) and Pat was just an atomic bomb of energy behind the kit. 

I also think Jimmy, Milos, and Anthony (along with Blake) brought amazing songs like Garden of Knives and Empty's Theme Park into even higher levels than they were in the studio.

Or think about the amazing, Daniel Lanois like guitar work Stu did in helping remake Running For Home. Or the Beautiful bass work that Pete does on the new version of Born to Kill.

And as I've said before, as much as love Ian and Pat as drummers, there is no denying how kick ass Blake is. The work he does during the bridge of LMU in that clip, for example, is just unbelievable. 

So I guess my point is that while people are definitely free to feel however they feel, I hope my appreciation and discussion about MGB with Ian doesn't also lead to people forgetting how amazing all the other people Matt has played with (and still does play with) are too, because they really are. And at the end of the day, Matt seems to be really happy with the current people he works with, and that's the most important thing, imo.

Anyways, just my two cents. And again, glad people enjoyed the interview and thanks for all the kind words. 

Cheers, folks ?

Edited by daniel_v
  • Like 2

Just finished the entire interview.  Really great.  Besides the fact that getting any new information at all from the MGB era is rare, to get it straight from a band member was pretty much all you can ask for. Like everyone else is saying, great work Daniel.  Lots of great questions and when you had an opinion, it was known, and when you were quoting something, a clip or picture popped up.  It was really a great piece.  Putting aside the logistics of getting a band member to discuss and setting up the time to do it, just the editing and uploading of the video looked to be a lot work.  Really enjoyed the couple hours of listening it provided.  Thanks again.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, daniel_v said:

Hi everyone, glad most of the people who watched this enjoyed it. Definitely happy I could share something that was of interest to people here. 

With regards to the confusion on the release of Apparitions, it happens. It was so long ago I don't blame Ian for having a slightly mixed up memory about it, especially when their lives were so busy. But yeah, upon rewatching it the Much Music clips I spliced into the interview when we were discussing it even lists that it was the third single. 

With regards to Ian, Dave, Geoff, and Rich- and how all of them contributed to the band in their own ways that some people miss- I definitely don't disagree that I miss their contributions too and wish the three surviving members could find a way to work through their issues (if for no other reason than peace of mind for themselves because they all do truly seem like honestly good human beings). After all, baggage is called baggage for a reason. However, as I've stated before, I do have a lot of respect and admiration for all of the players that have worked with Matt since MGB broke up, and I also feel lucky that as a fan base we've all gotten to be exposed to so many amazing musicians who have each brought something unique to the table. 

For example, as undeniably amazing as MGB were live (and as utterly grateful I am that I got to see them live) I also think it's undeniable that Christian, Pat, Mark, and Rich were a part of some of the most amazing live shows Matt ever did. The extended versions and endings of certain songs were just out of this world. Christian had incredible texture (as seen in his live performances of Advertising on Police Cars), Mark was a beautiful pianist (as heard in Apparitions when he played with them in 2002) and Pat was just an atomic bomb of energy behind the kit. 

I also think Jimmy, Milos, and Anthony (along with Blake) brought amazing songs like Garden of Knives and Empty's Theme Park into even higher levels than they were in the studio.

Or think about the amazing, Daniel Lanois like guitar work Stu did in helping remake Running For Home. Or the Beautiful bass work that Pete does on the new version of Born to Kill.

And as I've said before, as much as love Ian and Pat as drummers, there is no denying how kick ass Blake is. The work he does during the bridge of LMU in that clip, for example, is just unbelievable. 

So I guess my point is that while people are definitely free to feel however they feel, I hope my appreciation and discussion about MGB with Ian doesn't also lead to people forgetting how amazing all the other people Matt has played with (and still does play with) are too, because they really are. And at the end of the day, Matt seems to be really happy with the current people he works with, and that's the most important thing, imo.

Anyways, just my two cents. And again, glad people enjoyed the interview and thanks for all the kind words. 

Cheers, folks ?

You're 100% correct - each player has brought something unique to each of these songs.  ie. the Christian/Pat/Rich version of Load Me Up might be my favourite version of all.  I'm also a huge fan of the Hello Time Bomb version from that era that slows down for the very last chorus before firing up again, and that version of Symbolistic White Walls with the alternative end lyrics might be some of the best lyrics I've ever heard.  Thx again for being able to get Ian's perspective on it!

• Upvote 1