daniel_v

Perceptions on Black Lives Matter

I agree.

BLM is a political movement that wants a revolution.  They want to tear down our existing system and replace it with a Marxist Utopia (To simplify it).  They are not just about policing, but are using police issues to their advantage.  If you want better police, they need more money and training, not less.  Everything you hear about "privilege" "oppressors" etc comes from Critical Race Theory and Marxist Ideology.  Its a theory being touted as fact and has an almost cult like following now.  (ie; see cancel culture).    Sam is completely right about police.  Are there corrupt police?  Yeah, but defunding them or getting rid of them is an idiotic concept based on flawed ideology.  It's the "Woke" cult mentality.

Sorry I used a lot of buzzwords there.  I just don't have the energy to completely deconstruct this issue as it is so complex and complicated.  I don't deny racism exists,  I'm just simplifying it to this being a political issue.

Edited by Sly Botts
  • Upvote 1

Lebron was big on defund the police.  He just found out his brother's sister was murdered in Akron Ohio and now Lebron is calling for the police to find the murderer.  While I hope I never know the pain Lebron is feeling it is unjust to use your fame to push a narrative only to do a complete 360 when you need the help.  

The bigger issue though isn't BLM it's the media.  The media is dividing the United States.  It's not Trump, not Biden, it's the media fueling the fire.  If Trump were to lose I shudder to think what the media would talk about 24/7.  SNL might as well just throw in the towel. 

• Upvote 1

On 11/4/2020 at 6:17 PM, foats said:

The bigger issue though isn't BLM it's the media.  The media is dividing the United States.  It's not Trump, not Biden, it's the media fueling the fire.  If Trump were to lose I shudder to think what the media would talk about 24/7.  SNL might as well just throw in the towel. 

On the issue of the media, Matt actually made a good point regarding it last month. On top of his original point about how Youtube algorithms (which are scarily enough generated by A.I) lead to polarizing echo chambers, he was responding to a message in private that I sent him and it was regarding his post about the comment I made about the Guardian/his views on that news organization. In it he quoted a passage from Noam Chomsky and Edward S. Herman's Manufacturing Consent

“The greater profitability of the media in a deregulated environment has also led to an increase in takeovers and takeover threats, with even giants like CBS and Time, Inc., directly attacked or threatened. This has forced the managements of the media giants to incur greater debt and to focus ever more aggressively and unequivocally on profitability, in order to placate owners and reduce the attractiveness of their properties to outsiders.”

And what creates profitability? Hyperbole, sensationalism, conflict and demonization. That's not to mention doing incredibly one sided and laughable reporting.

To that end, I agree with you that I worry what they will do without Trump to continually dump on (even though he does absolutely feed them). Most likely, as Mike noted above, there will probably be an even increased shift towards the racial angle that has already been ballooned and over exaggerated by critical race theory narratives. This will, as usual, lead to even more violence and death.

That all considered,  I do honestly fear how Biden will respond to the social demands of the far left (especially with someone like Harris as his VP) or just downplay their violence if he does indeed win this election after the dust has finally settled. These are two people who- like a lot of people- will not take context into account at all. The refusal of both politicians to differentiate between the cases of someone tragically killed like Ahmaud Arbery vs. someone like Jacob Blake was incredibly telling to me. Arbery was simply minding his own business when two red neck hicks decided they were going to do a armed, citizen's arrest; Blake, on the other hand, violated a restraining order that had been issued against him due to past sexual assaults, apparently was trying to kidnap a child, fought with police, shrugged off two taser shots, and ignored the commands of the officers he had been fighting when he went to grab an unknown object out of his car. While everyone understandably decried the need to shoot him seven times, most people have never been cops themselves and don't understand that even after being shot multiple times, suspects can still be an incredible risk. This has been sadly proven over and over

Ultimately, both Biden and Harris come off as career politicians who look great on the surface and tell the public what they want to hear, but do not try to get or want their supporters thinking deeper. Likewise, when one does dig deeper, they will find disturbing things on both Biden and Harris

On 11/4/2020 at 11:07 AM, Sly Botts said:

I agree.

BLM is a political movement that wants a revolution.  They want to tear down our existing system and replace it with a Marxist Utopia (To simplify it).  They are not just about policing, but are using police issues to their advantage.  If you want better police, they need more money and training, not less.  Everything you hear about "privilege" "oppressors" etc comes from Critical Race Theory and Marxist Ideology.  Its a theory being touted as fact and has an almost cult like following now.  (ie; see cancel culture).    Sam is completely right about police.  Are there corrupt police?  Yeah, but defunding them or getting rid of them is an idiotic concept based on flawed ideology.  It's the "Woke" cult mentality.

Sorry I used a lot of buzzwords there.  I just don't have the energy to completely deconstruct this issue as it is so complex and complicated.  I don't deny racism exists,  I'm just simplifying it to this being a political issue.

The "cult" comment reminded me of this

Edited by daniel_v