Sly Botts

Nvidia RTX 3000 series.

So I was able to order an ASUS Dual RTX 3070 video card from memoryexpress.com.   If anyone is into PC gaming, you'll know that these cards are selling out within minutes of going on sale.  Mine is on backorder (obviously).

If anyone is interested, I could do some benchmark tests or let you guys know how its running.   (Pretty sure it can run Crysis ?

My gaming rig:
CPU: Intel Core i5-9600K Processor, 3.7GHz w/ 9MB Cache
RAM: HyperX Fury 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16 Dual Channel Kit (2 x 16GB), Black
MOBO: ASUS Prime Z390-A w/ DDR4 2666, 7.1 Audio, Dual M.2, Gigabit LAN, CrossFireX / SLI
Storage: Seagate BarraCuda 510 M.2 NVMe SSD
GPU: ASUS Dual Fan GeForce GTX 1070 8GB oc
Tower/Case: ThermalTake View 31 Tempered Glass RGB Edition Mid Tower Chassis, Black
PSU: 600w PowerColor PG-600  (Recently purchased a Corsair RM750x fully modular PSU for the RTX 3070)
Monitor: LG24GL650  A 24 inch, 144hz, 1080p with FreeSync Technology with TN Display Panel (FreeSync works with Nvidia cards on this monitor)
Keyboard: Unicomp ultra classic white buckling spring ps2 (using the IBM tool die for the Type M)
Gamepad: Xbox one controller for PC (Soon to be Xbox series X)

Edited by Sly Botts
Typos

On 1/6/2021 at 4:31 PM, Crusader said:

man, i've been waiting for my 3080 and 5600x for quite awhile now. did you ever get your 3070?

Sorry for the late reply.  Yes I received my RTX 3070 sometime in the week after Christmas.  I would guess probably 2-3 weeks ago.  Sometime in early Dec they changed my order from the MSRP $699 base ASUS dual fan model to the $750 ASUS TUF OC version based on ASUS recommendation.  I'm guessing they didn't make enough of the dual fan version thinking the TUF version would be in higher demand.  It was quite large with 3080 heat syncs and back plating  Anyway... I ran Cyberpunk 2077 and with all settings maxed without Ray Tracing, 1080p, it maintained a 60-90fps with 60-70 solidly with occasional dips to 50-60fps in certain situations.  That's with my i5 9600k at stock.  DLSS actually did nothing to help performance with Ray Tracing on and was not required when off, I think because of the CPU heavy nature of this game.  Now I decided to try this game at 720p for shits and giggles.  With Ray tracing on and everything maxed, the game ran over 60fps with no dips below 60fps.   Overall GPU utilization was often 80-100% while CPU utilization was 70%.  Definitely no real bottleneck imo for me other than maybe the CPU but not really.

Also, I ordered my gpu from memoryexpress.com.  It's a pretty good site but sometimes prices are higher than on amazon.ca.  Since NCIX went the way of the DoDo bird, memory express has been my primary source of computer hardware.

nice. i put myself on the memex and canada computers waitlist for the 5600x and 3080 and, honestly, memex has been a much better experience. i wish i hadn't ordered anything from CC. the 5600x showed up at memex but i'm just "#1 in line" at CC for the 5600x and 3080. the only way i even found out that i was #1 was by going into the store and asking, they're so understaffed that they've essentially stopped answering the phone/tickets/email.

as poorly managed as ncix was, i really miss them.

Guest Idioteque

I still can't find ANY gpu's in my area and I'm too nervous to buy from resellers or used. My local computer store and best buy always laugh at me when I come in and ask "Any Gpu's yet?" Everyone has backorders.

Any word on why the empty shelves besides christmas and covid, so everybody is inside? I can't find anything for months.

On 2/6/2021 at 4:18 PM, Idioteque said:

I still can't find ANY gpu's in my area and I'm too nervous to buy from resellers or used. My local computer store and best buy always laugh at me when I come in and ask "Any Gpu's yet?" Everyone has backorders.

Any word on why the empty shelves besides christmas and covid, so everybody is inside? I can't find anything for months.

Supply shortages due to covid, bots buying up supply for bit coin mining and scalping,  higher demand due to increased interest in building gaming Riggs due to covid stay at home. CPU shortages are a problem as well. The popularity of smart phones and the new consoles being released.  All using up supply for manufacturing.

• Upvote 1

so in less stressful news... seems like all my parts are finally arriving

On 2/6/2021 at 1:18 PM, Idioteque said:

at this point, i would just backorder or you'll be waiting forever

On 2/10/2021 at 4:28 AM, Crusader said:

so in less stressful news... seems like all my parts are finally arriving

at this point, i would just backorder or you'll be waiting forever

Are they even doing backorders anymore?

Edited by Sly Botts

On 2/11/2021 at 4:05 PM, Sly Botts said:

Are they even doing backorders anymore?

i finally have my full build now, I have zero games that will make good use of the 3080 though. rgb is also so tacky and none of my colours match.

re: back orders, CC and memex only take them in person.

11 hours ago, Crusader said:

i finally have my full build now, I have zero games that will make good use of the 3080 though. rgb is also so tacky and none of my colours match.

re: back orders, CC and memex only take them in person.

I used to bauk at rgb lighting but I'm starting to take a fancy to it. More so to single colour builds, like white build for example. Real nice.