adam_777

SnowJobs 99

Having watched this live as a kid it always drove me crazy. I was sure there were more songs.  For years this tape was hard to come by and would be taken off youtube if posted.  Finally about ten years ago a version showed up.   The quality was a little rough but the performance shined through...but wasn't it longer? After so long I started to doubt myself.  That was until Daniel told me forum member Prairieboy had a brother who may have had a tape of the original broadcast.  Here is his brothers tape from the original and yes elongated broadcast featuring additional live versions of Haven't Slept in Years, Deep Six and Generation X-Wing! And as a bonus with better video quality than the youtube version.  Huge thanks to Daniel, Everett and his brother and Chad for hosting this on his site for us all to enjoy.  The complete original broadcast of snowjobs 1999

http://mattgood.plastic-soldier.com/downloads-snowjob.php

Edited by adam_777
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, PlasticSoldier said:

how long before the usual person to take all the stuff from site and upload to youtube does so?

Haha oh im sure it'll be a matter of minutes.  Its also been brought to my attention this is actually called Snowjob 99, but Snowjobs sounds funnier so to hell with it.  

Edited by adam_777

1 hour ago, adam_777 said:

Having watched this live as a kid it always drove me crazy. I was sure there were more songs.  For years this tape was hard to come by and would be taken off youtube if posted.  Finally about ten years ago a version showed up.   The quality was a little rough but the performance shined through...but wasn't it longer? After so long I started to doubt myself.  That was until Daniel told me forum member Prairieboy had a brother who may have had a tape of the original broadcast.  Here is his brothers tape from the original and yes elongated broadcast featuring additional live versions of Haven't Slept in Years, Deep Six and Generation X-Wing! And as a bonus with better video quality than the youtube version.  Huge thanks to Daniel, Everett and his brother and Chad for hosting this on his site for us all to enjoy.  The complete original broadcast of snowjobs 1999

Ha ha awesome - thx for digitizing this for us!  I’m just glad that I eventually found that tape - I had made it for my brother who would have been in his early teens at the time, but couldn’t recall what I did with it.  Turns out my brother still had it.  I still remember like it was yesterday....sitting there Sunday afternoon in my lonely basement apartment with my VCR ready waiting to record the live MGB performance.  What a day! 

Man I just watched a brief clip of it and you did a great job of digitizing this!  The audio isn’t fantastic but the video is practically 4K lol! (I must have gone to Zellers and spent decent money on a good quality videotape just for this :))

• Upvote 1

Whoa!  I lived off the version on YouTube that was mentioned, it was the only one I knew of.  All distorted and fuzzy but I still enjoyed it.  This is an amazing upgrade and find.  Thanks to everyone involved in any way.  Quite the teamwork from the initial finding and discussion of the tape all the way to it being transferred and hosted.  Really appreciate all involved for this! Bonus commercials to get me in that 1999 frame of mind too lol. 

• Upvote 1

I’m trying to remember why at the beginning Matt says “if the Americans aren’t going to show up...”

I *think* there was supposed to be a different band (from the US) headlining the Snowjob concert that backed out at the last minute, so MGB got bumped up to be the concert headliner. 

Does anyone have recollection of this?

Just now, Prairieboy said:

I’m trying to remember why at the beginning Matt says “if the Americans aren’t going to show up...”

I *think* there was supposed to be a different band (from the US) headlining the Snowjob concert that backed out at the last minute, so MGB got bumped up to be the concert headliner. 

Does anyone have recollection of this?

I can't say for sure, but MGB was in the studio recording Beautiful Midnight and it sounds like the literally left to come play this concert then go back to record, so it probably was a last minute booking.  That was always my impression anyways that an American band ditched out so MGB came to show them how it's done.  

14 hours ago, Prairieboy said:

Ha ha awesome - thx for digitizing this for us!  I’m just glad that I eventually found that tape - I had made it for my brother who would have been in his early teens at the time, but couldn’t recall what I did with it.  Turns out my brother still had it.  I still remember like it was yesterday....sitting there Sunday afternoon in my lonely basement apartment with my VCR ready waiting to record the live MGB performance.  What a day! 

Man I just watched a brief clip of it and you did a great job of digitizing this!  The audio isn’t fantastic but the video is practically 4K lol! (I must have gone to Zellers and spent decent money on a good quality videotape just for this :))

The aduio quality is quite muffled it seems to be a common issue on older VHS tapes, it's actually pretty clear it just sounds like it was recorded under a blanket or something.  I may play around with it and see if I can liven it up a bit.  Usually TV related concert productions lack some of the rawness and bite of a proper live recording mix, but compared to some TV broadcasts this one doesn't sound like it was originally too bad just kind of muffled from slight deterioration over the years. 

Video quality I absolutely agree on, I was very happy when I played the tape and saw how clear it was.  I think what happens with many tapes from the analog era is that people would make copies for friends and so forth and every time a copy is made it degrades the quality.  So some of the tapes we get are 2nd, 3rd and fourth generation tapes and then you add in age degradation and the tape they may not have been quality tapes to begin with or recorded at less than optimal quality and you have many areas in the chain where something can turn to garbage haha.  Your tape is a master tape recorded direct from the feed on a high quality cassette, so it's just a best case scenario other than getting the master raw footage from MUCH.  Also your tape had Big Shiny Bash and Mike Bullard which were also video quality upgrades, so I will share those eventually as well! 

Guest Idioteque

Wow, this is like the holy grail for me. I put more time into that youtube edit throughout the years than most of the concert dvds I own.

Great way to end 2020 for me, I'll enjoy this tomorrow night to close out the year.

Lol “recorded under a blanket” - couldn’t have described it better myself. Yeah I recall there was some other MGB stuff on there so I look forward to seeing that digitized.  

There along with some music that was my brother’s taste at the time and not mine ....which makes me think this Snowjob performance might be a dub from the original tape I recorded it on, I’m just not 100% sure. If that other magical unicorn tape shows up - I’ll let you know. Could be just a figment of my imagination too. 

I found tapes that have a MuchWest special, another one with the making of AOB, and a shorter clip of Matt and Dave playing foosball in the Much studio. I believe these are all available in decent quality on YouTube already. 

Adam - is there any writing on that vhs tape I sent you?

Edited by Prairieboy

2 hours ago, Prairieboy said:

Lol “recorded under a blanket” - couldn’t have described it better myself. Yeah I recall there was some other MGB stuff on there so I look forward to seeing that digitized.  

There along with some music that was my brother’s taste at the time and not mine ....which makes me think this Snowjob performance might be a dub from the original tape I recorded it on, I’m just not 100% sure. If that other magical unicorn tape shows up - I’ll let you know. Could be just a figment of my imagination too. 

I found tapes that have a MuchWest special, another one with the making of AOB, and a shorter clip of Matt and Dave playing foosball in the Much studio. I believe these are all available in decent quality on YouTube already. 

Adam - is there any writing on that vhs tape I sent you?

It says Tay's Tape and has a listing of the couple things on it Snowjobs and Matthew Good spotlight.  I think what you have on the other tape is pretty common stuff, is the MuchWest special just a short segment with a couple live clips?  I was always hoping maybe more of that live footage was broadcast but it seems unlikely.  

The MuchWest is a longer segment I believe - I’ll have to go back and check it. And yes most of that other stuff is pretty common, the holy grail is live material which there isn’t much of as it was pre-iPhone days. I remember how happy I was to find that “live in Munich” audio recording way back then as it was the only “live” audio of MGB that I had ever come across at that point in time. 

7 hours ago, Prairieboy said:

The MuchWest is a longer segment I believe - I’ll have to go back and check it. And yes most of that other stuff is pretty common, the holy grail is live material which there isn’t much of as it was pre-iPhone days. I remember how happy I was to find that “live in Munich” audio recording way back then as it was the only “live” audio of MGB that I had ever come across at that point in time. 

Would be very interested in the Much West stuff if it's longer than what we currently have. 

shows a brief interview, a handful of 10-15 second live clips from both Under the Influence and Strange Days from the first show Matt played without MGB at the Commodore Ballroom in Vancouver on May 10th 2002.  It also contains his New Music West inteverview fragments which was most likely filmed the next day before the concert at The Vogue Theater.  So footage from the second gig may exist, but certainly at least some does of a few songs of the first gig.  My hope with that footage from the first show is that the entire show was filmed similar to what Travis did with Coquitlam and only a few clips were shown in the broadcast.  This footage is one of my top five MG holy grails because it certainly exists and most likely included at least two complete songs and it the raw footage would be quite good quality of literally the first show he played as a solo artist.  The setlist on this tour was interesting, because unlike later on when Avalanche material started to fill the set, this brief set of dates had no new material except Weapon and was basically this band taking on the MGB catalog.  Because of that, they reworked several songs in completely different arrangements.  The video clips show the extended outro and lyrics of Under the Influence, but Strange Days at these shows is played in a completely different and unique way which it never was played again after this run of three gigs in May 2002.  In addition there are some rarely played tracks here which would be amazing to hear in soundboard quality or to see video of.  We also don't really know the setlist.  The 3rd and final gig of this run on May 19th in Cayuga Ontario has an audience tape so we have that setlist and a pretty good bet it would be similar for this show, but we don't know the order of the tracks in Vancouver.  At the Cayuga show Under the Influence was the 2nd track and Strange Days was the fourth, so if that maintained it's likely that four tracks at least would exist on video from this show.  But yeah, I've always wondered if what we have is just like a summation snippet and if more of the footage was shown at the time or what?  So would be very interested in anything you have if it's beyond what's included in the clip above.  Just one more example of some of the really great  material just sitting unused and unavailable in the Much Archives.  

Yeah like you Everett I was pretty pumped back in the day to come across any live MGB or MG.  I remember having a couple random tracks I found on Napster and similar software and I'm pretty sure Born to Kill from Munich was one of them.  It's fairly strange to me that with a career as long as Matt's there is just so little live material out there.  Officially there is no video and there is Live at Massey Hall a show that at this point today falls right in the middle of his career and does a fantastic job of representing that time period, but obviously one of the truly great things about Matt's music and that has probably helped his longevity is he never stays one place too long, one year before the 2008 Massey Hall show, he was doing a completely acoustic tour.  One year after he was doing shows where 50%+ of the set came from Vancouver.  So while I am so grateful for Massey Hall  it gives such a small slice of what honestly is an ever changing, vibrant and incredible part of his career which is his live shows.  His studio albums tell a fantastic story of an evolving artist, but it's only half the story.  

Unofficially of course through the great efforts of fans there are some real gems that have been unearthed and quite a few fan made recordings which I absolutely love, but some can be challenging listens, not because the shows aren't magic, but just because that night the guy recording had some drunk beside him yelling for Rico or whatever.  It's fairly shocking to me that the Munich soundboard from 2000 is one of the only soundboard recordings out there.  In 25 years there must have been others made, obviously Much has some, but club shows or festival shows where someone might have patched into the board, or tapes for the band to hear how new material might sound on stage these things are common with many other bands, but with MG it is honestly quite a rarity.  And the Munich show, while great was a rare out of country performance and the set is less than half the normal set length of shows on the 2000 tour.  There is just so much amazing material from Matt's live career sitting out there on a shelf in a vault somewhere.  There could be more material from the brief snippet of Town Pump footage from 1996, There is a complete Nanaimo show on the 2000 tour and at least some of the next night in Victoria, there is the Lackawanna teleathon video and audio from 2001, the Much West performance from 2002, possibly the entire Queen's performance in 2003, the live acoustic Massey Hall show from 2007, the 2009 first show in Vancouver recorded for a radio broadcast by CBC ,every show of the 2013 Arrows tour (individual tracks were released as live road from every concert, but I'm guessing the entire shows were recorded) the 2017 Toronto show where they filmed a Beautiful Midnight Revisited show.  I'm probably forgetting a bunch and I'm positive there are one's I'm unaware of, but it goes to show just how much quality material does exist in some form that could really shine so much brighter of a spotlight into all the fascinating areas of Matt's career that remain mostly shrouded in memories, mystery and hazy fan recollection.  

Edited by adam_777
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 12/29/2020 at 7:47 PM, adam_777 said:

As always, thanks a lot for the effort that you 3 put into getting this out there ? I downloaded it yesterday. Aside from the picture quality being amazing, there's a little part at 12:11 (as they are finishing HSIY) that stuck out to me. Dave just has the biggest smile on his face. You could tell how much he enjoyed performing the song that night. Plus, Matt seemed really into their performance of Deep Six which is always great to watch. 

However, am I the only one that is now getting a "404- not found" message when clicking on Chad's site? 

Edited by daniel_v
  • Upvote 1

ugh, godaddy is annoying me lately. they keep saying my site migration is delayed, and then it doesnt do anything. i'll look into it, since the main part works, not that that helps anything...

edit: it seems to be in the middle of the migration finally.... so the files don't exist yet on the version it is pulling up... i'll see if i can just re-upload them to make it live again

Edited by PlasticSoldier
  • Upvote 2

On 1/2/2021 at 1:31 PM, adam_777 said:

Would be very interested in the Much West stuff if it's longer than what we currently have. 

shows a brief interview, a handful of 10-15 second live clips from both Under the Influence and Strange Days from the first show Matt played without MGB at the Commodore Ballroom in Vancouver on May 10th 2002.  It also contains his New Music West inteverview fragments which was most likely filmed the next day before the concert at The Vogue Theater.  So footage from the second gig may exist, but certainly at least some does of a few songs of the first gig.  My hope with that footage from the first show is that the entire show was filmed similar to what Travis did with Coquitlam and only a few clips were shown in the broadcast.  This footage is one of my top five MG holy grails because it certainly exists and most likely included at least two complete songs and it the raw footage would be quite good quality of literally the first show he played as a solo artist.  The setlist on this tour was interesting, because unlike later on when Avalanche material started to fill the set, this brief set of dates had no new material except Weapon and was basically this band taking on the MGB catalog.  Because of that, they reworked several songs in completely different arrangements.  The video clips show the extended outro and lyrics of Under the Influence, but Strange Days at these shows is played in a completely different and unique way which it never was played again after this run of three gigs in May 2002.  In addition there are some rarely played tracks here which would be amazing to hear in soundboard quality or to see video of.  We also don't really know the setlist.  The 3rd and final gig of this run on May 19th in Cayuga Ontario has an audience tape so we have that setlist and a pretty good bet it would be similar for this show, but we don't know the order of the tracks in Vancouver.  At the Cayuga show Under the Influence was the 2nd track and Strange Days was the fourth, so if that maintained it's likely that four tracks at least would exist on video from this show.  But yeah, I've always wondered if what we have is just like a summation snippet and if more of the footage was shown at the time or what?  So would be very interested in anything you have if it's beyond what's included in the clip above.  Just one more example of some of the really great  material just sitting unused and unavailable in the Much Archives.  

Yeah like you Everett I was pretty pumped back in the day to come across any live MGB or MG.  I remember having a couple random tracks I found on Napster and similar software and I'm pretty sure Born to Kill from Munich was one of them.  It's fairly strange to me that with a career as long as Matt's there is just so little live material out there.  Officially there is no video and there is Live at Massey Hall a show that at this point today falls right in the middle of his career and does a fantastic job of representing that time period, but obviously one of the truly great things about Matt's music and that has probably helped his longevity is he never stays one place too long, one year before the 2008 Massey Hall show, he was doing a completely acoustic tour.  One year after he was doing shows where 50%+ of the set came from Vancouver.  So while I am so grateful for Massey Hall  it gives such a small slice of what honestly is an ever changing, vibrant and incredible part of his career which is his live shows.  His studio albums tell a fantastic story of an evolving artist, but it's only half the story.  

Unofficially of course through the great efforts of fans there are some real gems that have been unearthed and quite a few fan made recordings which I absolutely love, but some can be challenging listens, not because the shows aren't magic, but just because that night the guy recording had some drunk beside him yelling for Rico or whatever.  It's fairly shocking to me that the Munich soundboard from 2000 is one of the only soundboard recordings out there.  In 25 years there must have been others made, obviously Much has some, but club shows or festival shows where someone might have patched into the board, or tapes for the band to hear how new material might sound on stage these things are common with many other bands, but with MG it is honestly quite a rarity.  And the Munich show, while great was a rare out of country performance and the set is less than half the normal set length of shows on the 2000 tour.  There is just so much amazing material from Matt's live career sitting out there on a shelf in a vault somewhere.  There could be more material from the brief snippet of Town Pump footage from 1996, There is a complete Nanaimo show on the 2000 tour and at least some of the next night in Victoria, there is the Lackawanna teleathon video and audio from 2001, the Much West performance from 2002, possibly the entire Queen's performance in 2003, the live acoustic Massey Hall show from 2007, the 2009 first show in Vancouver recorded for a radio broadcast by CBC ,every show of the 2013 Arrows tour (individual tracks were released as live road from every concert, but I'm guessing the entire shows were recorded) the 2017 Toronto show where they filmed a Beautiful Midnight Revisited show.  I'm probably forgetting a bunch and I'm positive there are one's I'm unaware of, but it goes to show just how much quality material does exist in some form that could really shine so much brighter of a spotlight into all the fascinating areas of Matt's career that remain mostly shrouded in memories, mystery and hazy fan recollection.  

Pretty sure what I hue is different than this. I’ll check the tape this upcoming weekend and let you know.