crthiel

Anyone know why the Matt Good subreddit went private?

The rule on this board is "don't talk about MG's personal life". But I'll admit it's a hard call on this one.

To be completely honest, I don't know that it does a lot of good for us to talk about it until/unless MG says something himself, or some media picks up the story. There's not much to say about it other than speculation. (Though I'm fine with people getting hints here as far as where to find the story, assuming folks aren't comfortable with direct links.)

In the advent of that Instagram post, apparently a few other people came forward telling their own stories. (There's apparently a small private FB group of people sharing those experiences.) A couple of the die-hard fans I know suggested that it was in the realm of possibility that the stories were true, given situations that they had heard about previously, and they were struggling with how to deal with it.

Edited by uglyredhonda

12 minutes ago, Sly Botts said:

Well guys... it's been a good run.  Too bad things turned out this way,  its sad. Its been a privilege associating with such a fine group of people all these years.  I wish you all well.  God bless you. 

Is this the end?  Do you think MG will address this?

How will he come back from this?  I hope he addresses this but its one if those things where silence might be the smarter thing for now on his end.  He's a smart guy so I wouldn't be surprised if he says nothing.  He should just come clean and get help if this is all true. 

His music has been there in the background of my life for years, so like many, its been sad for me to find this stuff out. 

Disappointed being the most accurate way to describe how I feel.

Even if say these things are proven false, he'll still be cancelled. Maybe not at the Gomeshi level, but he'll have to work on rebuilding his reputation.

Having allegedly a dozen women (some of them are in the instagram comments) coming out against him is pretty damning.

I feel bad for all of those women.  That email she posted from Matt was also pretty disgusting; like who he is and what he produces excuses that type of behavior?  Or he is implying that you can't have his music without all the bad shit?  Sorry Matt, Beautiful Midnight was good but it wasn't THAT good and was also 20+ years ago.

I started having issues as a fan back in late 2017 when he put a post on Twitter talking about how he'd cheated on his wife, she forgave him, he did it a second time, and she left him. Rather than showing contrition, he blamed it on his mental illness for giving him "impulses". People tore him apart - he deleted the post within the hour. I think some folks starting going after him via PMs here, which led to him quitting social media entirely. (Anton deleted all of his posts here at his request.)

The tone of it was similar to that email. (I hadn't seen that email when I posted above.)

I actually thought that we could/should have talked about that episode here, given that he brought it up himself. His parting shot at that time was to claim that people didn't have the right to talk about his personal life. I thought that was a garbage argument then, given that he was the one who brought it up.

It's not like his career has been stellar for the last few years. Cynically, he really could just lay low and keep going. He'll lose the die-hards and folks here, but the casual fan won't have any idea about it unless the media picks it up. I'm not sure where the CDN music media is at this point - if his stature is still strong enough to give it attention. (Also, in the cases of Ryan Adams and Marilyn Manson, there were established celebrities making the claims, which gave the media outlets cover to print the story.)

It would be smart for him to get out in front of it, own up to some percentage of it, and try to get help for it. Cynically, this wouldn't be a bad time to do it - by the time it's safe to tour again, he might have some percentage of his reputation rehabilitated.

But, a couple of days into this, I think I might be done, too. After that Twitter post, it took me months to feel comfortable calling myself a fan again.

The crazy part: twenty years ago, I spent several years doing social media for a band (that you would know) hearing similar stories over and over about their lead singer. But he skated through, because nobody ever covered it, and he kept his head down doing music and touring. He's roughly in the same tier as MG at this point, but he's doing fine, and there are still people who think he's the greatest thing ever because they have no idea.

• Like 1

Longtime lurker. There were some vague rumours on the subreddit in the last month (including mention of the FB group, which I believe someone on reddit said has since dissolved) or so and it seems it's all coming out now... In the grand scheme of things what he's being accused of isn't as horrible as some others in the industry, but that's little consolation for me. His music has been a constant thread through my life for more than a decade, and I am deeply saddened and disappointed. I am still emotionally recovering from what I can only describe as a manipulative and coercive relationship myself (infidelity included), and at my lowest points I would play MG songs on repeat just to get myself through...

Ive been thinking about this and Honestly,  I'm probably still going to listen to his music.  Lots of artists over the years have been like him and we still listen to their music and buy their stuff.  I've had the opinion for a long time that MG is not the greatest guy, but I still listened to his music and respected him as a musician.  I'm not his friend, I'm never going to know him personally.  He's got problems and should get help sure, but that doesn't change how good his music was/is?.  I think everyone is upset and emotional right now. Give it time.

Ughhhh...so torn on this.

But...this is where I come down on it. Before I say anything more, I want to hear his take. Above and beyond being an artist I respect, Matt is a human being, and I will afford him the same respect I would anyone else in my life.

I have three sisters who have all gotten divorced, and while I stood by all of them, I held my tongue until I fully understood what was going on.

In the heat of the moment, in the wake of a broken relationship, emotions run high, and I shudder to think what some of my ex-girlfriends would have said about me immediately following a breakup had they had a national platform to do so. I'm not a bad person, and I have a wife and family that I love dearly, but I will be the first to admit that I have been careless and messed up...and while I judge myself to be a pretty stand-up guy, who the hell knows what others would say?

This isn't a pass...this isn't me saying 'I stand with Matt,' this is just me taking a time out and wanting to hear more before I say something I will regret.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Williammunny11 said:

I've seen the IG post, but there's multiple references to an email...what am I missing?

There's a second IG post with screenshots of a text/email that MG sent her in December.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CK4fbr6BV5_/

Even if we can't vouch for its veracity, this was one that pushed me over the line. The tone of it is similar to the 2017 Twitter post that I referenced before - he's essentially arguing that he does shitty things that are just part of who he is.

Edited by uglyredhonda
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, uglyredhonda said:

There's a second IG post with screenshots of a text/email that MG sent her in December.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CK4fbr6BV5_/

Even if we can't vouch for its veracity, this was one that pushed me over the line. The tone of it is similar to the 2017 Twitter post that I referenced before - he's essentially arguing that he does shitty things that are just part of who he is.

Honestly, I don't see that email as any sort of deal-breaker...especially if the relationship was 'concensual' as the poster stated. 

My issue with this whole thing is this: so she posts this email from Matt, but we aren't privy to the emails that led up to it. Again, citing myself as an example, if someone took my final jab in any of the heated exchanges I've had over the years and shared it out of context, I promise you I would come across as a douche—maybe I was, maybe I wasn't. But I'd at least want anyone judging me to have the context of the conversation that led to that point.

Additionally, I don't think it's right to share personal emails like this, as it places the accused in a 'damned if they do, damned if they don't' perdicament.

That all being said...If Matt crossed the line in any criminal sort of way, then charges should be filed (and I will probably never listen to his music again)...but if the only thing he's guilty of is being a narcissitic womanizer, well, I guess he's getting what he deserved but it's not a 'dealbreaker' for me as a fan.

Unfortunately, I fear that it will be a long time (if ever) before any of us knows the truth.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1