crthiel

Anyone know why the Matt Good subreddit went private?

What dirty pages can you be more specific thanks 

7 hours ago, sharon said:

I have to let this out before I can move on. I was the clueless person who arranged to get the Dirty pages on Matt taken down a few years ago, and it’s been bothering me for quite some time.

You go out of your way to help a guy who is in a bind and what does he do? As a token of gratitude, he continuously lies to your face to cover up his own misdeeds. I mean, who does that? Only a fricking psychopath. I will probably be banned from the Bored for saying that.

15 hours ago, sharon said:

I have to let this out before I can move on. I was the clueless person who arranged to get the Dirty pages on Matt taken down a few years ago, and it’s been bothering me for quite some time.

You go out of your way to help a guy who is in a bind and what does he do? As a token of gratitude, he continuously lies to your face to cover up his own misdeeds. I mean, who does that? Only a fricking psychopath. I will probably be banned from the Bored for saying that.

I think the whole reason why this thread has been left alone is because the admin knows people are shocked, upset and need to let their feelings out with each other this way.  We've created our own little community here that's been around for years. We've interacted with each other (albeit more infrequently over the years) not just on this forum, but also, other past forum's going on 20 or more years now.  People are "letting it out" so to speak and the admin is letting us do this.  So that being said, I don't think you'll be banned.  That's my opinion of course, but there it is.  Everyone has been processing this. I know it sounds silly because he's just an artist we've listened to for years, but for some people they built Matt up in their minds to be something he wasn't and now they're devastated.  It makes sense.   I would guess Disappointed is the word I would use to accurately describe *most* people's emotions about this whole thing.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, PlasticSoldier said:

There's a few comments here that have made me want to close this thread, but it'd just cause more issues.

It's a lot to process.

Everyone feels differently about it. Everyone has an opinion that differs. 

Some are kind enough to explain and share share points of reason, others are assholes who are apparently the only ones who are right. ?‍♂️

It's a discussion that is of a difficult nature and kind of hard to "police". 

At least we didn't go the route of the original subreddit or the Facebook group and just say fuck it you can't have any discussions.

Thanks for doing right by this. It's a hard place for everyone; those wronged, those who are fans, those who were fans, those who personally know somebody wronged, and those who simply don't know how to feel about the entire situation. There's indeed a lot to ingest. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, PlasticSoldier said:

There's a few comments here that have made me want to close this thread, but it'd just cause more issues.

It's a lot to process.

Everyone feels differently about it. Everyone has an opinion that differs. 

Some are kind enough to explain and share share points of reason, others are assholes who are apparently the only ones who are right. ?‍♂️

It's a discussion that is of a difficult nature and kind of hard to "police". 

At least we didn't go the route of the original subreddit or the Facebook group and just say fuck it you can't have any discussions.

The admin of the Facebook were taking such horrific abuse in DMs (while struggling with the news themselves), I don't think it's fair to make judgments.  

• Upvote 1

On 2/25/2021 at 12:25 AM, sharon said:

I wondered why those were gone....happy for the gal in question though, she suffered a lot over that whole thing and did not deserve it.

• Like 2
  • Downvote 1

22 minutes ago, sharon said:

I totally agree with you. Same here. I will focus my attention on discovering new artists and seeing other bands and artists I’ve never seen before in concert in 2021 - 2022. I found myself listening to Half Moon Run quite a bit during this pandemic. Someone from the Bored introduced me to them. I have to admit their music sounds 10 times better than Matthew Good, especially after seeing them live in concert last year. They sound like a cross between Jeff Buckley and Radiohead. I have missed out on a lot of other great Canadian bands/artists out there and plan to change that.

Saw HMR open for City and Colour closing in on a decade ago and was truly impressed by their albeit brief set. Should definitely go back and listen to them again and play some catchup. 

5 minutes ago, adrianf74 said:

Saw HMR open for City and Colour closing in on a decade ago and was truly impressed by their albeit brief set. Should definitely go back and listen to them again and play some 

Yeah, Half Moon Run sound unreal live. Saw them at the Winspear centre a few years back and was blown away at how good they were. Radio and CD definitely don't do them justice.

• Upvote 1

$2000 is a lot of money to pay to have something removed off of a site.  Especially when (if not true) He could have went to them on his own and threatened to sue for slander or libel if not taken down.  Pretty shitty scenario for all involved there. 

20 hours ago, sharon said:

Matt owes me $2000 for getting rid of that gossip site. When you googled his name in 2015, the first 20 results showed that gossip site. I know I can kiss that money goodbye, because Matt doesn’t care if a person cleans up after his mess or if his bad behavior hurts people in the process. He just lies his way out of it and paints himself as a victim. How could I have been so stupid? I should have let him clean up his own mess. 

Did he ask you to do this for him?  If you did it on your own accord with all due respect he doesn't owe you the money.  I agree with the last few sentences.

edited for tact.

Edited by Moonlight_Graham
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, daniel_v said:

You know, for a guy who criticizes others for acting in a shitty ways, you might want to research the definitions of irony, hypocrisy and tact.

Re-reading what I wrote, it didn't come off in tone as I meant it, apologies to Sharon.  I made a small correction.

I won’t go in to detail because it’s not my story and I wasn’t there, but according to Sharon, after speaking with Matt in person and hearing him deny the allegations, she then got the page removed. I think most rational people can agree- regardless of the specifics of the conversation- that’s a pretty bloody nice thing for a fan to do, especially given the cost. Likewise, not only did she help Matt, but she also helped the other girl who was also referenced on the page at the time. For me, I give her respect for that, not scorn.

At the end of day we all offer trust to others mistakenly at different times in our lives. That doesn't make anyone stupid- just human. And personally, I'd much rather have trust for people (even if I am from time to time mistaken) than always distrust them. After all, it is our trust for others that helps create the relationships and experiences in life that are the most worthwhile (even if we do get burned from time to time). 

That is a VERY nice thing for her to do.  I'm not criticizing her for doing it at all, i'm just saying he doesn't owe her $2000.  But I get her point of it, in that a fan did something very nice for him, which I think a fair # of fans do for him, and yet he treats many of his female fans terribly. 

We are complex creatures.  There's lots of normally nice guys who lie and cheat on their wives.  Many men will do some wild things, including destroy their own families and careers, just to bust a nut, and we've seen that a lot in the last 5 years.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

8 hours ago, Moonlight_Graham said:

Re-reading what I wrote, it didn't come off in tone as I meant it, apologies to Sharon.  I made a small correction.

That is a VERY nice thing for her to do.  I'm not criticizing her for doing it at all, i'm just saying he doesn't owe her $2000.  But I get her point of it, in that a fan did something very nice for him, which I think a fair # of fans do for him, and yet he treats many of his female fans terribly. 

We are complex creatures.  There's lots of normally nice guys who lie and cheat on their wives.  Many men will do some wild things, including destroy their own families and careers, just to bust a nut, and we've seen that a lot in the last 5 years.

Speaking of apologies, I should offer one myself. I really shouldn't be recounting other people's stories second hand. That's for them to do, not me, because second hand stories often contain inaccuracies. Sharon just provided some clarification for me about the timeline of my original comment (which I had originally misunderstood) and as such I deleted my post where I talked about that. Even small details of misunderstanding can lead to large misconceptions and accuracy is always important. I should know better and should have clarified with Sharon before I said anything. 

So yeah, my apologies to everyone as well.

Moonlight (or moderators) if you see this and want to delete the section of the post where I am still quoted discussing that misunderstanding of the timeline, it would probably be best for the sake of preventing the unintentional spread of inaccurate info. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

27 minutes ago, GuitarmanMCS said:

Anyone else notice the MG website is absolute bare bones? The shop is gone. All it says is to enjoy music on your favorite streaming device. Not good. Anyone think this is a sign that he's packing in his career? ? 

I wouldn't go that far. With the current publicity coupled with being dropped by a label and management, there's no way he'd have anything up on his website. He will more likely attempt to "relaunch" his career (or what's left of it) once a good year-plus has passed and if nothing further comes of this entire situation. It's strictly a wait and see but it doesn't look too good right now. 

I have to wonder what his next steps are here. He's openly pondered retirement before... just creating things quietly and sharing them with friends. At the same time he's described the past few years as financially ruinous, so is retirement in his cards? He's openly pushed back against the "going it alone" style of a lot of artists in favour of having his label take care of the more laborious parts of the business. Is that something he'd have to learn to embrace if he wanted to keep going?

On 2/24/2021 at 8:26 AM, adrianf74 said:

Very much so. For those who still like the best song on Avalanche, at least they weren’t pink pills...

On 2/24/2021 at 7:48 AM, Chris85 said:

The https://www.matthewgood.org website is looking pretty light now. ?

Speaking of pills, I don't know if this is of note, since I'm not sure what was on the site before all of this started, but the mention of pills got me thinking about what's on the main page for the website. When I did a search of green and white pill capsules it cited Chlordiazepoxide Hydrochloride, which apparently is used for alcohol withdrawal. The pic on his front page looks quite similar to Chlordiazepoxide Hydrochloride capsules. 

Does anyone know if the front page was different back in January? 

Website.png

Green and White Pills.png

Scary tweet.

I hope for everyone's sake there is a positive resolution to all this. To me the best case would be MG reaches out to whoever he should apologize to and does so genuinely. Also commit to getting some help and being a better person. That would be a positive example to set and allow some good to come from this.

Less important: I've listened to a couple of MG's songs in the past couple weeks. Just a couple. I've found myself still appreciating the music and having a connection with it.