stg7311

DAE believe MGs songs are open to interpretation?

I'm a somewhat new fan of him and his way of writing is complex at times to my understanding. I don't know if his intention is for people to freely interpret some of his songs that are unclear to decipher. such as for example carmelina. thoughts?

Very much so, and he's said as much.

Songs like Carmelina are fairly opaque. I'm fairly well-versed in his work, and there was no way I'd have figured out he's referencing that incident with William S. Burroughs unless I'd read about it in an interview. While the lyrics aren't explicit, I think he gives you enough to go on in terms of theme or tone. I've become spectacular / which is strange 'cause I feel dumb is certainly evocative of a certain dichotomy; a well-worn self-image incompatible with recognition or fame.

• Like 1

On 1/27/2022 at 10:10 PM, Scott Rodgerson said:

Very much so, and he's said as much.

Songs like Carmelina are fairly opaque. I'm fairly well-versed in his work, and there was no way I'd have figured out he's referencing that incident with William S. Burroughs unless I'd read about it in an interview. While the lyrics aren't explicit, I think he gives you enough to go on in terms of theme or tone. I've become spectacular / which is strange 'cause I feel dumb is certainly evocative of a certain dichotomy; a well-worn self-image incompatible with recognition or fame.

yeah. if it weren't due to his interviews and what other people gathered from them and some of his lyrics and put the pieces together as well, i would have no idea what his songs are about..or at least his original intent with them. Its nice to have that open interpretation though for sure

I don't understand the purpose of an artist creating vague lyrics nobody can possibly understand, unless 1. the subject matter is so private you legit don't want people to understand it, or 2. you want to seem more clever than you actually are.

I'd rather share something with the artist than be a code-breaker.  I personally don't listen to music to solve puzzles, but to feel emotions.  But some may be different.

Edited by Moonlight_Graham