foats

2022 Spring tour chat

Wanted to make a topic for the mini Spring tour.  

Hoping everyone that gets to go has a great time!  Hoping to see some cool setlists, merch, and show notes posted here.  Have fun everyone and be safe!!

Pretty sure he has a list of songs he rehearsed for this tour but the ONLY 2 MG songs I dislike he has played both nights and last night back to back (alert and Born Losers)  Love that he played Protest Song and Tripoli last night, same with Fated.   Looks like some fun shows so far!

In no particular order (because I can’t remember the exact order other than he started with Champions and ended with Los Alamos) here is the Regina set:

Champions

Parts

Strange days

Born losers

Alert status red

Fine art of falling apart

Fated

Rabbits

Apparitions 

Time bomb 

Sort of a protest song

Load me up

Radicals

Los Alamos

If he played Police Cars in Regina it would have been the perfect mix of songs from this tour. Not big on Alert and Born Losers but I get why he plays them. Would love to see White Walls thrown in if East coast gets a tour. 

• Upvote 1

my only negative things to say are that here in Edmonton the Starlite Room shows always bring out the "Wooooo!!!!" guys and the quieter acoustic shows have the constant clinking of the coins dropping into tip jars. I guess and not getting the full Fine Art Of Falling Apart haha

I find it hard to post outside of here anything related because of the amount of people that are on the negative side of things and i just don't want to hear it

The lack of comments have probably been for a few reasons. First it was a short tour in small venues with little to no notice about ticket onsales for shows that sold out fast so its possible some people werent able to attend and the shows were restricted to Western Canada only.  Secondly because of the pandemic there wasnt much happening that would draw people to be checking this site regularly so many have probably fallen out of the habit and finally to address the elephant in the room some fans have had personal conflicts over things outside the music that have caused them to decide to sit this tour out. 

I saw the Vancouver show. It was my first concert of any kind in over two years and my first MG show in over three so it was pretty exciting just to be going to a show period.  It was pretty cool to see Matt in a venue in Vancouver I hadn't seen him in before. The Hollywood Theatre is a great little theatre to see a show with an old school marquee out front nestled into a neighbourhood in Kits. Actually when I got there and parked around the block there was a backyard party going on with live bands so I just hung out there for an hour which was a lot of fun.  

I had no idea what to expect from the show. It had been a couple years since Matt performed and the first night of a tour the setlist was a big question mark.  Would there be new songs he wrote during the pandemic? Would Moving Walls material still be featured? Would there be some major surprises like Fearless and Change of Season on the 2019 tour? 

The show started with Parts from Moving Walls, which was pretty great because having seen him nearly 50 times now one of the great thrills is hearing something you havent heard him play live before.  Since the Moving Walls tour was stopped dead in its tracks I hadnt heard him perform that song and I really enjoyed the performance. Moving Walls really grew on me during the pandemic and I revisited it often so I was glad to see it would still be represented and those songs really lend themselves to solo acoustic performances.  

I thought the setlist was a good blend of hits and obscurities. No real huge surprises but Fated stood out as one I wasnt expecting as did Radicals which Matt mentiined being a personal favourite of his.  Like him I also prefer the acoustic rendering to how it was done on the album. One nitpick would be I felt Hospital Music was a bit over represented with three tracks while several of his albuma in his discography had nothing played from them and several others had kind of the expected songs, but thats just a personal issue as I dont rate that album as highly as some.  

I was a little disappointed in the crowd who in the back were very chatty openly having loud conversations during quiet parts of songs that took you out of the feel of the song.  With that said they did give him a pretty good encore applause with a large contigent doing the whole KICKASS schtick while banging on the stage. Obviously Matt appreciated that as he came out, told then to keep it going and then briefly attempted a solo version of Giant before stopping and saying it just wouldnt work.  

Performance wise I thought Matt was a little rusty and understandably so with the long layoff. His vocals werent always on point and he messed up some chord changes but not to the extend of detracting from the performance.  He was in a jovial and talkative mood so there was some banter with the crowd which was amusing.  It was obvious he was appreciative of the crowd and hopefully he felt the appreciation back.  It wouldnt qualify as a top show I've ever seen from him. But the emotional impact of being able to see another of his concerts definitely left an impression.  With this tour behind us Im excited to see what will come next.  

• Upvote 4

Radicals is one of my favourite songs from the last 3 records so I'm glad it is getting some love in the sets after the Moving walls tour got stopped dead in it's tracks. Hopefully a Toronto show comes up I can see it live again. He played it at an acoustic Toronto show just before Moving Walls came out and I thought it was great.

On 5/30/2022 at 3:24 PM, foats said:

If he played Police Cars in Regina it would have been the perfect mix of songs from this tour. Not big on Alert and Born Losers but I get why he plays them. Would love to see White Walls thrown in if East coast gets a tour. 

Born Losers is one of my wife’s favourites so she was pretty happy to hear it. She’s also a new fan of Radicals. The fact that he opened with Champions was amazing….I haven’t heard that song in years and it was totally unexpected.  Rabbits is always so good. And the crowd was totally silent for the end of Apparitions, it was truly haunting. So happy to have him back out on the road again. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 9/4/2022 at 9:51 PM, sharon said:

I was listening to X92.9 radio station today and they played Born Losers. Afterwards, the radio DJ said he heard that Matt will be playing with a full band in the Fall [of 2023?] and will be opening up for a major band. He said the headlining band hasn’t played in Calgary in 20 years. He said he couldn’t announce the band’s name just yet, even though he really wanted to. I wonder who the band is.

Wouldn't it be great if he opened for Nickelback? Lol

Being that it will be about 4 months between the coming shows and the last show, would be cool if during his downtime over the summer he dusted up and worked on a few uncommon or even something never played live before songs from the past to debut. 

• Like 1

On 10/9/2022 at 10:28 AM, Stwlegend said:

Being that it will be about 4 months between the coming shows and the last show, would be cool if during his downtime over the summer he dusted up and worked on a few uncommon or even something never played live before songs from the past to debut. 

I was actually coming in here to post that he made a post that he is practicing "One of them years" He also replied to a post that his catalog of music is so large that he can't remember how to play half of it.    

13 hours ago, foats said:

he has bee

He has been posting pretty regularly on his social media accounts. 

Did he by chance erase them all and restart new ones? I feel like it's my first day on the internet. There's an official-ish looking one on instagram, but it only has a couple posts from last year. Can I grab a link?

I heard about Nanimo but you had mentioned negative reviews prior to the Nanimo show and the MG team scrubbing them. Just curious to what the other negatives were? I have been checking setlist.fm but only one set has been posted so far. Curious to what has been going on at the shows.

Matt obviously wants to fuck up what little of a career he has left. Pretty outrageous stuff regardless of your opinion. Joke or not, it was not funny. Almost as bad as when I saw him at Joe's Pub in NYC back in 2013 and he asked the audience something along the lines of "Aren't you people sick and tired of hearing about 911 this and 911 that". Crowd did not exactly appreciate that a few blocks from where it happened. For being as talented of a musician and lyricist, the guy is a nut. 

Edited by GuitarmanMCS
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1