foats

2022 Spring tour chat

On 10/25/2022 at 10:53 AM, GuitarmanMCS said:

Matt obviously wants to fuck up what little of a career he has left. Pretty outrageous stuff regardless of your opinion. Joke or not, it was not funny. Almost as bad as when I saw him at Joe's Pub in NYC back in 2013 and he asked the audience something along the lines of "Aren't you people sick and tired of hearing about 911 this and 911 that". Crowd did not exactly appreciate that a few blocks from where it happened. For being as talented of a musician and lyricist, the guy is a nut. 

Since the video has been flagged for defamation and is no longer available on Youtube, I won't share the one that exists else where online, but for those wondering what the controversy was about, there is an article here where Matt clarifies his opinion on the matter. On his Facebook page he also wrote the following:

"It is time for me to make a statement. Let me make this very clear - my recent comments on stage in Nanaimo had to do with the subject of tyranny, and at no time did I mention unvaccinated people or vaccines. I don’t even know where that came from. I would never argue that a person does not have the right to govern their own body" 

I guess the main subject being addressed was whether or not some of the actions/decisions of Canada's current Liberal government during the pandemic (such as denying people E.I who were fired from their jobs for not trusting the Covid vaccines or who had their section 6 charter rights/freedoms violated through the denial of their ability to leave Canada if unvaccinated) could be classified as "tyrannical". Matt said he'd like to drop people who think so off in the Congo where "14 year olds can fire AK-47s at themso they could have an idea of what a real tyranny was like. Someone who posted the original video online interpreted this to mean unvaccinated people in general. 

For my part, it's an interesting subject and I have heard the opinion that Matt expressed, expressed by others in the past, so it's not exactly new. However, respectfully, even as someone who is double vaccinated, I do strongly disagree with that opinion and him.   

While it's true that Justin Trudeau's government is obviously not comparable to that of the governments of the DRC or Uganda- or the gangs that populate those countries- (and I personally do not think Trudeau is evil- only terribly misguided and unfortunately ideological) two wrongs still do not make a right. For example, just because my friend was only stabbed in the leg- while I was stabbed in the back- does not mean that my worse injury cancels the freedom my friend has to point out that any kind of stabbing or violence is wrong. Likewise, the more any government any where is allowed to get away with violating the rights or freedoms of its citizens (minor or major) the more it most likely will try to do the same in the future (regardless of whether one chooses to classify it as a tyranny or elsewise). As such, while I absolutely do not condone idiots protesting in front of hospitals (which I believe were the people Matt was mainly referring to) I don't think the majority of people who disagreed with the actions of Trudeau's government fit into the category of people Matt was talking about. Likewise, even if people do make bad points or act in a childish way when expressing themselves politically- and even though I despise people who take things too seriously- I don't think it's great posture to say or even joke that anyone deserves to be shot at for their opinions. If that were the case a lot of us (myself, Matt, and others) might be not be here today because at times we all get tripped up by our own biases and swept up by group think or mob mentality. Don't get me wrong, I understand his point- there are definitely worse places to exist and live- but again, one wrong does not cancel another out, regardless of what kind of wrong it is. 

All that said, I would have liked to have seen the full video so I could have gotten the full context of what he was saying, because it was admittedly cut off before he finished speaking. 

Edited by daniel_v
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

19 hours ago, daniel_v said:

Since the video has been flagged for defamation and is no longer available on Youtube, I won't share the one that exists else where online, but for those wondering what the controversy was about, there is an article here where Matt clarifies his opinion on the matter. On his Facebook page he also wrote the following:

"It is time for me to make a statement. Let me make this very clear - my recent comments on stage in Nanaimo had to do with the subject of tyranny, and at no time did I mention unvaccinated people or vaccines. I don’t even know where that came from. I would never argue that a person does not have the right to govern their own body" 

I guess the main subject being addressed was whether or not some of the actions/decisions of Canada's current Liberal government during the pandemic (such as denying people E.I who were fired from their jobs for not trusting the Covid vaccines or who had their section 6 charter rights/freedoms violated through the denial of their ability to leave Canada if unvaccinated) could be classified as "tyrannical". Matt said he'd like to drop people who think so off in the Congo where "14 year olds can fire AK-47s at themso they could have an idea of what a real tyranny was like. Someone who posted the original video online interpreted this to mean unvaccinated people in general. 

For my part, it's an interesting subject and I have heard the opinion that Matt expressed, expressed by others in the past, so it's not exactly new. However, respectfully, even as someone who is double vaccinated, I do strongly disagree with that opinion and him.   

While it's true that Justin Trudeau's government is obviously not comparable to that of the governments of the DRC or Uganda- or the gangs that populate those countries- (and I personally do not think Trudeau is evil- only terribly misguided and unfortunately ideological) two wrongs still do not make a right. For example, just because my friend was only stabbed in the leg- while I was stabbed in the back- does not mean that my worse injury cancels the freedom my friend has to point out that any kind of stabbing or violence is wrong. Likewise, the more any government any where is allowed to get away with violating the rights or freedoms of its citizens (minor or major) the more it most likely will try to do the same in the future (regardless of whether one chooses to classify it as a tyranny or elsewise). As such, while I absolutely do not condone idiots protesting in front of hospitals (which I believe were the people Matt was mainly referring to) I don't think the majority of people who disagreed with the actions of Trudeau's government fit into the category of people Matt was talking about. 

All that said, I would have liked to have seen the full video so I could have gotten the full context of what he was saying, because it was admittedly cut off before he finished speaking. 

As are most of you probably, I am a long time fan. Being from the US, I have seen him three times here and also traveled to Canada to see him. Soo....big fan here. Lots of money and time dedicated to him as well as the other people I have turned on to his music down here. 

This seems to be a reoccurring pattern for him. Seems he totally fits the liberal stereotype of taking down any criticism. Hell a few years ago I made a comment that he was shitfaced at the NYC concert I went to. AND HE WAS. It was a great show, I was not saying he is a drunk and I want my money back, just that he was drunk and it got a bit sloppy at the end. Drinking whiskey for three hours straight tends to do that. I was banned from the Facebook page. LOL. Whatever. 

It's just getting harder to defend him. I did not really care to be honest about his past issues with his lovers. I love his music. Whatever f-ed up stuff he does and has done in her personal life is his problem. But as someone who definitely leans further right than left, to say that people saying their government is tyrannical should be flown to the Congo and shot is just unbelievably stupid. Canada did get nuts during COVID and the aftermath and so did the USA. And right or left, you have the right to say when you think your government is wrong. So saying people should be shot for exercising their free speech is ridiculous. I don't think he meant it. But it is still extremely irresponsible. He comes across like a loose cannon. I am sure his mental health plays into it. As I said in my previous post, he asked a bunch of New Yorkers, at a shower in lower Manhattan, a few blocks away from the Trade towers if they are not sick and tired of 9/11 being the reason for this and that. The crowd shut his ass down and booed and said "no we are not". Needless to say he did not expect that reaction and shut his mouth pretty quick and played whatever was next on his setlist. Just incredibly stupid shut to say.

Now it is 2022 and the dust has started to settle on the sexual stuff from earlier. Again, I don't support cancel culture so I felt everything was a bit extreme. But an artist I care about seems to be given a second chance. His career was decimated and he stood a fighting chance to get it back...at least some of it. Why would one not play it safe and keep controversial shit out of the show? Save it until 2024 when you are back playing Massey Hall instead of tiny venues (joking). But seriously, it's almost like he has no interest in saving his career and does not care about pissing whatever fan base he has left. That's his right. But it is incredibly stupid.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

It was just a bad, bad take by Matt.  We know Canada isn't the DRC.  But Canada has a government that announced DURING AN ELECTION CAMPAIGN that all federal public servants, meaning hundreds of thousands of Canadians across the country, were required to get vaxxed or else be put in indefinite leave without pay even if they still worked full-time from home and have never been to their office since the start of the pandemic.  They recently dropped the requirement, but a lot of fed departments are still working from home full-time so a lot of people were coerced to jab a f**king needle in their arm and inject medicine for nothing or else lose their livelihood.  These people have families and mortgages to pay for.  And all Matt's faithful sheep followers yelling "Yeah!".

I'm fully vaxxed, I believe in science, but nobody tells me what medical procedures I need to undergo or what medicine I inject inside my own body, so if I worked for the feds i'd be PO'd.  Even if they worked in the office, nobody gets to coerce someone else to take medicine to make someone else safer.  If you don't feel safe, stay home or quit.  When your basic human rights and liberties are taken from you yeah that's tyranny.

Yeah you don't block ER doors & border bridges to protest, but these kinds of smug entitled self-righteous comments can go right up their arses. 

Edited by Moonlight_Graham
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

I just wish he would come back and play in Sault Ste Marie. I had tickets for his show before COVID hit which got cancelled. I haven't seen him since 2017 in Sarnia. It would be nice to be able to see a show.  Both Daniel and Guitarman are 100% correct in my books.  I've commented on him drinking during shows in the past (He seems kind of tipsy on his Massy Hall album) and even made a comment during his internet show about going "backwards into a wall of bourbon" when he was singing Strange Days (Just joking around of course).  But yeah, the world has changed a lot in the past 10 years since he was touring more heavily. He should probably be careful about making political comments.  Unless they are pro Conservative, then thats ok.... lol. (Joke)

• Upvote 2

On 10/25/2022 at 12:53 PM, GuitarmanMCS said:

Matt obviously wants to fuck up what little of a career he has left. Pretty outrageous stuff regardless of your opinion. Joke or not, it was not funny. Almost as bad as when I saw him at Joe's Pub in NYC back in 2013 and he asked the audience something along the lines of "Aren't you people sick and tired of hearing about 911 this and 911 that". Crowd did not exactly appreciate that a few blocks from where it happened. For being as talented of a musician and lyricist, the guy is a nut. 

I was at the Joe's Pub show in 2013 and I have a different recollection of that bit. I remember him asking who in the audience was actually from NYC, born and raised, and how they felt about 9/11 as compared to everyone else who largely witnessed it from afar / on TV. He was making some point, but I don't recall that there was anything he said that was overtly offensive.

As far as whatever he said at that concert recently, having not heard a word of it, I would just say I'm surprised he would feel the need to talk about that kind of stuff at a live show in 2022 when nobody asked and given his recent hiatus. I would think he'd want to just lay low and show extra appreciation to the people coming out to support him. Also, most people don't attend concerts to listen to that kind of stuff.

Edited by Gomo
  • Upvote 1

Solo acoustic shows are not where you go if you want to avoid Matt going off on political tangents. This is a man who brought out a white board once to talk about North Korea. Most of us have been following the guy for a couple decades now... I'm unsure any of this is far off brand. 

As for the comments, I think it goes to show all over the political spectrum people are pretty raw and sensitive. The comments he made are dramatically aggressive, but also pretty benign compared to actual problems. If you think Canada is tyrannical, you could use a recalibration or a new word. 

6 hours ago, russic said:

Solo acoustic shows are not where you go if you want to avoid Matt going off on political tangents. This is a man who brought out a white board once to talk about North Korea. Most of us have been following the guy for a couple decades now... I'm unsure any of this is far off brand. 

As for the comments, I think it goes to show all over the political spectrum people are pretty raw and sensitive. The comments he made are dramatically aggressive, but also pretty benign compared to actual problems. If you think Canada is tyrannical, you could use a recalibration or a new word. 

Remember back in the day when you had to recalibrate your joystick whenever you wanted to use it on a PC? lol

• Like 1

I'll be that nerd that switches it back to the music a bit.  I think a lot of negativities would dissipate or be drowned out if there was some excitement on the show or studio front.  Because we are all fans, that's why we come here or go to the shows. But I have heard the word 'uninspired" used for recent shows, or how he can't remember how to play a lot of his catalog so doesn't play it, or that setlists are stale.

Could you imagine if he announced for 2023 a 20th anniversary tour of Avalanche, maybe a reissue of the album with it, or playing the album in full.  Or played rarities from Underdogs for that 25th anniversary or did a reimaged Underdogs like he did for BM?  Or if you want to move away from nostalgia, a new album, maybe something upbeat and full band/electric that can release some of the anger over the past few years.  Might even cause him to adjust his banter with more to talk about on the music end of things.

I'm sure there's a lot more going on that I don't know, but from a fan perspective with no inner working knowledge, just thought I would throw that POV out there. No matter where you stand on the outside of music stuff, there really isn't much else to focus on so that negativity seems to rise to the top of conversation.

• Like 1

I jus read that a few more shows were cancelled and that Matt was admitted to the hospital in critical condition.  I don't have facebook so can anyone confirm or deny this?~  Sucks that the official webpage doesn't have any info about it.  Praying that Matt is ok. 

• Upvote 1

On 11/25/2022 at 7:32 PM, foats said:

I jus read that a few more shows were cancelled and that Matt was admitted to the hospital in critical condition.  I don't have facebook so can anyone confirm or deny this?~  Sucks that the official webpage doesn't have any info about it.  Praying that Matt is ok. 

I too hope and pray he’s okay. But I have to say, that whole you have to be vaccinated and if you bitch about it you should be sent to the Congo and shot by teenagers with AK47s shit didn’t age well did it. Geez. Sounds like that jab didn’t do shit for him…just like most of us who bought into the hype.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

On 11/9/2022 at 6:51 PM, Stwlegend said:

I'll be that nerd that switches it back to the music a bit.  I think a lot of negativities would dissipate or be drowned out if there was some excitement on the show or studio front.  Because we are all fans, that's why we come here or go to the shows. But I have heard the word 'uninspired" used for recent shows, or how he can't remember how to play a lot of his catalog so doesn't play it, or that setlists are stale.

Could you imagine if he announced for 2023 a 20th anniversary tour of Avalanche, maybe a reissue of the album with it, or playing the album in full.  Or played rarities from Underdogs for that 25th anniversary or did a reimaged Underdogs like he did for BM?  Or if you want to move away from nostalgia, a new album, maybe something upbeat and full band/electric that can release some of the anger over the past few years.  Might even cause him to adjust his banter with more to talk about on the music end of things.

I'm sure there's a lot more going on that I don't know, but from a fan perspective with no inner working knowledge, just thought I would throw that POV out there. No matter where you stand on the outside of music stuff, there really isn't much else to focus on so that negativity seems to rise to the top of conversation.

Thanks for bringing the topic back towards the musical angle of things. While I find politics interesting to talk about, I really do rather just discuss things of a more positive spirit, especially because it's just less divisive and God knows society has had enough of that in the last few years. So yeah, good call on redirecting the topic 🙂 

I wouldn't be against him playing rarities from earlier albums by any means (such as from Underdogs or Avalanche: The Inescapable Us would be amazing to hear again after seeing/hearing it from 1998 in Coquitlam) but I'm also really glad to read that he's planning to work on a new album and rework some old demos too. I say that because especially after listening to a lot of stuff from him that he has put out in the last 8 years (both demos and studio tracks) there is some amazing material he has put out, so I'll be curious to what both the new and reworked material will sound like. 

With regards to rerecording We Have Done This Before, I'll be especially curious as to what he does with the bridge from the updated demo that he put out back in 2014, mainly because I thought that bridge was what really made the song stand out and because he reused that bridge in the studio track for Parts. As such, I'm assuming he can't reuse it in any updated version that he puts out for We Have Done This Before and to me I'm wondering if that will take away a lot of the gravity that song possessed. I say that because I remember listening to the first demo of it that didn't have the bridge and it just didn't have the same edge that the updated demo had. Plus, as someone else noted, the ending after the bridge was maybe a little bit not as strong as the rest of the song, so I'll be curious as well if he reworks that too. To be clear, I still think it is a fantastic song with a lot of depth (which is why I still listen to it) but those were just a few of the shortcoming I feel exist in my own person/subjective opinion. 

I know Matt may not like to read that on account of what he calls "Demoitis" (where listeners can't appreciate a finished product because they're too stuck in their minds on how the original version sounded like, but at the same time, even though I'll never claim to be a musical expert (just a regular fan/listener) I don't think it's a horrible thing for any creator to hear what people who appreciate their music think (as long as they express themselves respectfully), even if the creator ultimately ends up disagreeing. 

For me personally, if he's going to redo anything, I think a studio version of the original Something Like Storm (the 21 minute version he wrote back in 2014) would be incredibly epic. I still listen to that song multiple times a week and not only do I still find new things in it to appreciate, but I also just still find it unbelievably moving. Tbh, I think it's not only one of the most amazing things he has ever written, but it's probably one of the most amazing songs I have ever heard from any musician. 

All that considered, aside from the fact that I'd never wish ill health upon any regular person, I certainly hope Matt's health improves. As I've said before, hopefully he's able to work on the drinking issue because obviously it can't be good for his physical or mental health in the long term, especially at a time when so many different pathogens are floating around. Definitely glad the Covid variants that are still around aren't as heavy as the previous ones were. 

Edited by daniel_v
  • Upvote 3

The Hamilton show featured an embarrasing complement of winners outside protesting the show, changing exactly no one's mind about getting into the venue.

That aside, Matt seemed a bit down on energy, didn't talk hardly at all (I've been to probably 10 shows conservatively, and this is the least I've heard him banter), and was shaking on his fretting hand during the performance. However, he still delivered a solid show, despite the crowd getting loud with chatter in the back 9 of the set, pissing off everyone. I don't think he had a great time, judging by how he was quickly whisked away to the bus straight after. I hope he's doing alright.

Edited by Millstone
  • Upvote 1

On 2/5/2023 at 10:53 AM, Millstone said:

The Hamilton show featured an embarrasing complement of winners outside protesting the show, changing exactly no one's mind about getting into the venue.

That aside, Matt seemed a bit down on energy, didn't talk hardly at all (I've been to probably 10 shows conservatively, and this is the least I've heard him banter), and was shaking on his fretting hand during the performance. However, he still delivered a solid show, despite the crowd getting loud with chatter in the back 9 of the set, pissing off everyone. I don't think he had a great time, judging by how he was quickly whisked away to the bus straight after. I hope he's doing alright.

What were they protesting? His controversial vaccine rant? Or the sexual allegations?

5 hours ago, Millstone said:

The vaccine thing

Sounds like people have a lot of free time on their hands and I am one of the few who felt what he was was very distasteful and like a typical lefty facist.

That being said, it would serve him well, if he was that upset, as mentioned, to remember that freedom of speech and expression isn’t immune from freedom of rebuttal and consequences. Say stupid, controversial and outrageous shit and reap the reward.

As I said earlier up the chain, you’d think someone who had his career devastated would want to lay low and not piss any of the remaining fans off. Nope, not Matt Good. I admire his outspokenness even if I disagree on a lot of his posts and banter. But it was a stupid comment to make. The good news for those of you in Vancouver is that his next tour might be him busking on the street, especially if things keep going this way. Going from 2000 seat theaters to 200-500 capacity clubs has to hurt and be humbling for someone who was never really too humble.

5 hours ago, Millstone said:

The vaccine thing

Sounds like people have a lot of free time on their hands and I am one of the few who felt what he was was very distasteful and like a typical lefty facist.

That being said, it would serve him well, if he was that upset, as mentioned, that freedom of speech and expression isn’t immune from freedom of rebuttal and consequences. Say stupid, controversial and outrageous shit and reap the reward. As I said earlier up the chain, you’d think someone who had his career devastated would want to lay low and not piss any of the remaining fans off. Nope, not Matt Good. I admire his outspokenness even if I disagree on a lot of his posts and banter. But it was a stupid comment to make. The good news for those of you in Vancouver is that his next tour might be him busking on the street, especially if things keep going this way. Going from 2000 seat theaters to 100-500 capacity clubs has to hurt and be humbling for someone who was never really too humble.

All that said, I’m still a huge fan and love his music dearly. He’s a mess but he’s Matt. 🙂

I'll always be a fan (and I'm very hesitant saying this), but 3 of the last 5 solo shows I've been to have been palpably uncomfortable. It's to the point now where I seriously hesitate to go. As you say, unpredictable. Which Matt will we get? Irreperably annoyed that a single person heckled him? Half-bragging over how unprepared he is? Or will it be a legitimately incredible experience? With a band he keeps things a little tighter and more professional. I know he likes the loose and raw solo shows, but over the past few years they've become more and more unhinged.  

I sincerely hope the above isn't related to any health or personal issues. If they are, I hope he can get whatever help he needs. 

• Upvote 1

I was hoping for a more varied setlist but the sets I have seen do look good.  I hate to sound ungrateful but there was a lot of time off between tours and I had hoped he would come out with some rarities this tour. Even something like Life Beyond or Fated that he played on the 05 solo tour would be a good surprise.  Nonetheless I am in the US and if he played out here I would be there in a heartbeat. 

2 hours ago, sharon said:

Maybe he would come out with some rarities or a longer setlist if someone brought him a charcuterie board during his set, like he joked about at the Winnipeg show. I would be down to do it if it came right down to it. I would even special order it. However, I said some not so nice stuff in here over the past few years. I don’t think he would want anything to do with me.

Don’t feel bad, you’ll just banned. Not sure if he had anything to do with it but I was on the Facebook page ( fan page?) several years ago. He used to be active on it. I made some comment about how great the show was but that I could tell he was feeling no pain and that he was obviously loaded. The next I was removed. Lol. Oh well. 

It’s sad how inactive this place is. I’m surprised someone pays to keep it going to be honest. Reminds me of sad reminders for fans of kozelek. When his misconduct accusations came the place shut down. I sincerely wish the man well. He’s give my life so much joy with you music. And to think I stumbled upon his greatness by accident in a small record store outside Scranton in like 1999 or 2000. I just don’t see how so many people have thrown in the towel. If people quit Matt over some sleazy things that every rock star has done, they better throw all Bowie, Beatles, Manson, zeppelin, Stones, Aerosmith, etc. away. Not minimizing or condoning, I’m just saying.

I've said it before and I will say it again.  I'd pay $150 to sit on a zoom type meeting and hear Matt do solo acoustic  rarities for 2 hrs.  Hearing some Loser Anthems gems (flashdance anyone?)  Maybe some Suburbia?  Protest Song? Workers Sing a Song?  Rat who would be king?   Fated?  Life Beyond?  Hell we could get others to pitch in some $$ and make it happen.  It would be fun. Only problem is someone would go out and leak it to the non paying public.