daniel_v

Tribus/Crisis Airlines

I've been listening to the demos and studio tracks that we had access to for Crisis Airlines/Tribus a lot as of late. Ended up making a track listing as a combination of those available songs as I figured it would be the closest I'd ever get to the actual album after the fall out from last year. Track List is as follows:

• 1. Lost and Found Kids 
  • 2. Triage
  • 3. Tiger By The Tale
  • 4. Daylight Actual
  • 5. Corridor of Trees
  • 6. Hollis
  • 7. Victory is Free

Anyways, I don't know if anyone is interested anymore, but I thought I'd start a discussion thread around the tracks we were able to have access to as I really thought these were some strong songs from Matt (especially Lost and Found Kids) and I'd be curious to see what others think almost a couple years now down the line. Likewise there's a lot we don't know about the tracks that were supposed to be released (or at least there's a lot that I don't remember) and I'd also be curious if others can refresh my memory. 

Questions

So, there were apparently several artists/bands that Matt apparently worked with on this album. If I remember correctly they included Lights, Matt Mays, Wintersleep, amongst others. Does anyone remember who all of the bands were and what songs they worked on with Matt? I know the ones he released (Lost and Found Kids, Corridor of Trees, and Hollis) were apparently written mainly by him (with maybe Warne helping some given that he had a certain amount of writing credit on the final listings) but I thought I remembered Matt saying this was supposed to be a collaborative album for the most part. 

Likewise, does anyone know if the demos he released that weren't listed on the final track listing (Victory is Free and Back of the Tiger) were eventually recorded but just renamed? Or were those ditched altogether. Either way, I loved both of those from him, so it'd be interesting to know if there are studio versions of those laying in the vault now. 

Also, speaking of renaming things, Hollis obviously was the final form of Daylight Actual (with some beautiful horn work) but in the final track listing there was still a song called Day Light Actual as well. Anyone know if the final "Daylight Actual" was a different song that no one (save for those in the studio) actually heard? 

Thoughts Almost 2 Years Later

Out of all of the tracks we got to hear I'd say Lost and Found Kids is the most interesting and engrossing to me. It didn't quite grab me at first, but man has it ever grown on me. Given that the frame of the track is done using keyboard, it had a very different sound to it, and yet at the same time it still sounds like vintage Matthew Good/Band. The slow and peaceful build that climaxes at the 2:11 mark and then calms back down into an eventual different section of melody is really powerful and moving. 

Triage was one that captured my interest right off the bat. The melody is some of my favorite writing from Matt that I've heard in a long time and while Matt's vocals sound almost tired, the tired sounding nature of them lends itself perfectly to the subject matter of feeling burnt out and strung out and washed up. I can still listen to this regularly and appreciate it/be moved by it. 

Back of the Tiger is another really interesting one. I remember once reading in Chart Attack back in 2004 that Matt said he wanted to record and electronic record one day. Back a few years ago Sharon was nice enough to ask Matt for me if he ever still planned to do that and Matt replied that he while he hadn't thought about it for a while, he still thought it would be a really interesting idea. This track to me is the most electronic thing Matt has ever done and he did it well while still making it his own. You listen to it and it still sounds like Matt which is pretty impressive because with a lot of electronic music it just ends up sounding like everything else. 

Anyways, I've got to say that the more I listen to it the more bummed I am knowing that this will never come out as there are some really stand out tracks from both the demos and final studio versions that came out. 

Anyone else still listening to these and have any thoughts on them? 

I love the fact that he's trying some new things on these tracks, like the electronic sounds.  And I like the return of the LOES type jazz sounds.

Song impressions:

• 1. Lost and Found Kids - Amazing.
  • 2. Triage - Meh
  • 3. Tiger By The Tale - I think you mean Back of the TIger?  Meh, it's ok, sounds a little "standard".
  • 4. Daylight Actual - I like this song a lot
  • 5. Corridor of Trees - It's ok
  • 6. Hollis - Sounds like Hollis lol.  Too much of a straight copy IMO.  I think Daylight Actual is better, more "inspired by" than a copy
  • 7. Victory is Free - The opening riff and drums sound like a subconscious direct copy of "Feeling Good" by the Sheepdogs.  Probably heard it on the radio somewhere.  They couldn't release this, someone in the band would catch this i think.  Rest of the song I like, they can just remove the opening riff.
Edited by Moonlight_Graham
  • Like 1

This album will go down as the Matthew Good equivalent of Neil Young's "Chrome Dreams" album. I didn't know he worked on it with a few other notable people as well, very interesting! I at least appreciated that it was a different sound and style but I haven't given it any real serious listen time, and I probably wont unless it gets a real release.

• Upvote 1

On 2/22/2023 at 2:20 AM, sharon said:

If you reach 60 posts, which you have, I think you can gain access to the NF Lounge which has a downloads sections. All of the songs you asked about are in there. If you PM a moderator, they can set you up.

Thank you. Had looked but will look deeper.

Also a big thank you for your recent recordings! Very much apprecaited!

On 2/28/2023 at 7:02 AM, Coochiemudlo said:

Thank you. Had looked but will look deeper.

Also a big thank you for your recent recordings! Very much apprecaited!

My link in there is I think the most up to date so you should just need to look for that. It should be on one of the most recent pages.

On 12/11/2022 at 11:40 PM, daniel_v said:

Anyways, I've got to say that the more I listen to it the more bummed I am knowing that this will never come out as there are some really stand out tracks from both the demos and final studio versions that came out.

I spoke to someone who was involved with this electronic album on Thursday. They think Matt might be releasing that album independently.
Who knows. Maybe there is a glimmer of hope that some of these songs will be released. This contradicts what Matt said about the album at the Red Deer concert though. He said that the album was shelved.

Edited by sharon
  • Like 1

On 6/3/2023 at 6:48 PM, sharon said:

I spoke to someone who was involved with this electronic album on Thursday. They think Matt might be releasing that album independently.
Who knows. Maybe there is a glimmer of hope that some of these songs will be released. This contradicts what Matt said about the album at the Red Deer concert though. He said that the album was shelved.

Bah, he says a lot of things, then goes back and fourth on them.  We've all seen this. He'll release it... eventually. 😁  Don't take what I say wrong though, I do like MG.  I'm just also truthful about what I observe.