Is Punk Dead  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Is Punk Dead

• Yes, Punk is Dead
    • No, Punk is still alive
    • Punk is only slightly alive

I have to disagree with the statement that alternative music wouldn't exist if punk had never existed.

I also have to disagree that the Ramones were the only true punk band ever. (This wasn't said, but was implied in a few posts).

As for how I voted - I nulled it - the was no "Who Cares?" option.

EDIT: I realise that I didn't really justify anything that I said, I'll just wait for someone to argue with me, then post some more. : )

Edited by rosie

if it were only this easy...i like to think of it as dead..and if it were id be happy...why..well i dont care for it much, and then people ask me or tell me im punk! thats when i bust a crizime and say, excuse me, go back to teh eightys for a moment...im a freaking rocker son! damn rights! i dont like tight pants though, but im definatly not PUNK! it angers me really...wow...that just came out of no were...told you id bust a crizime!

if it were only this easy...i like to think of it as dead..and if it were id be happy...why..well i dont care for it much, and then people ask me or tell me im punk! thats when i bust a crizime and say, excuse me, go back to teh eightys for a moment...im a freaking rocker son! damn rights! i dont like tight pants though, but im definatly not PUNK! it angers me really...wow...that just came out of no were...told you id bust a crizime!

your crazy man...CRAZZZYYY

but ya i listen to some "new punk" once and a while... i dont know though...would emo be a sorta punk?

alexisonfire is screamo. sum 41 is a rock band and blink 182 has started leaning more towards the rock side of things after a few pop--punk records.

With that said, punk isn't dead and it also isn't an attitude either (the whole attitude statement was just a defense for pop bands masquerading as punk bands for cred). There are still many punk bands, they just don't have a home on top 40 radio, which is how it's supposed to be, I suppose.

Punk is now a bastardization of itself, stressing non-conformity yet trying to force its fashion and musical senses on us all. A punk once called my frined a conformist because he doesn't like punk music. All the punks who wear always wear black and all that crap all look the same. It's really funny, actually. Conformity through individuality is quite a paradox, and one that all the punks at my school have yet to figure out. I used to think being a punk was liberating (I even tried getting into it once), but now I realize that it's just an excuse for dumb, rich white kids to act like asses.

Anything now of days that is claimed punk is so far from it its sickening. and when it was alive punk was SUCH an attitude. If you ever read some of the things that the sex pistols did (THE greatest punk band) youll see why bands are not punk now of days. and if you want to say that there would be no "alternative" if there wasnt punk, then technically there wouldnt be any kind of rock at all if it wasnt for blues or jazz 70 years ago. all rock music is spawned from that. And People who claim to be punks now that dress up like punks and buy the good charolette CD's and dye thier hair black are simply people that want to buy thier way into being different. its the same thing as all those "wiggers" that want to have an identity, but in the end are still just middle class, urban white guys that cant look at themselves in the mirror.

well thats my opinion anyway

Edited by THE MAN

Anything now of days that is claimed punk is so far from it its sickening. and when it was alive punk was SUCH an attitude. If you ever read some of the things that the sex pistols did (THE greatest punk band) youll see why bands are not punk now of days. and if you want to say that there would be no "alternative" if there wasnt punk, then technically there wouldnt be any kind of rock at all if it wasnt for blues or jazz 70 years ago. all rock music is spawned from that. And People who claim to be punks now that dress up like punks and buy the good charolette CD's and dye thier hair black are simply people that want to buy thier way into being different. its the same thing as all those "wiggers" that want to have an identity, but in the end are still just middle class, urban white guys that cant look at themselves in the mirror.

well thats my opinion anyway

How were the Sex Pistols the greatest punk band?