guitarchick

Why Do You Like Matt Good?

I've been asked the question a lot, why do you like Matthew Good?

Some people ask for the reason that they hate him or the fact that they think I'm a typical girl teenager with a crush on a singer.

I haven’t idolized someone as much as I do Matt since I first read about John Lennon. I’d rather believe in these two people instead of what society says to believe in or the masses. Most celebrities teach nothing to their fans but sex, money, drugs alcohol and women. Matt takes his fame and uses it for anything else but those things and promotes peace, consideration, and education instead. Young people could learn so much for Matt and people like him, if only they’d listen instead of appealing to the media and their peers.

People also tell me that it’s impossible to admire someone that you have never met.

Another thing about Matt is that he’s not afraid to talk to his fans or even argue with them. I tell them that most of the stuff he writes in his blog or on boards is inspiring and filled with information. The sheer mass of compassion the man has for his own kind is amazing. You wouldn’t believe that Matt had a big heart back in MGB but the best way I could describe would be that he’s the Grinch. Mr. Grinch, can’t you see it. I mean if you’ve read the book, seen a cartoon or watched the movie you must get my point.

If Matt didn’t believe in what he does, or didn’t have the heart he does, I probably wouldn’t admire him at all.

And then I usually say to people that if it wasn’t for Matt, I probably wouldn’t be here for you to ask me that question.

Think about why you admire him.

Edited by guitarchick

He's a perfect mix of raw talent, passion, and intelligence... along with a solid group of guys they have the ability to make a difference in the world... and that's exactly what they do... for the better... it's not about money or who likes you because you act like a punk... it's about doing things for the betterment of others.

Both of you basically epitomized my exact feelings about Matt. (I was just lucky enough to talk to him once.) But you're absolutely right, Matt is so full of compassions, I dont think we can classify him as a musician.. I like to think of him as one of those best friends you always have (who just happens to have a band). You may not get to see him every day.. or every month or whatnot, but whenever something happens, he's always there. Like guitarchick said, if it werent for him, I wouldn't be here.. it's so true. The things his music does is amazing, and you know what.. who the hell cares if all the 12 year olds dont admire him, or if muchmusic chooses to play the sexfilled videos rather than Matt's thought provoking ones.. as long as we have him.. we're the lucky ones.

I first liked Matt Good because of his subtlety. Every song was a puzzle you had to figure out...

...I do worry nowadays about his music become more transparent and less subtle. I don't fault him on his advocacy, but I'm afraid his exuberance gets in the way of his delivery. White Light Rock and Roll Review doesn't need to be decoded like the earlier records--it's much more obvious.

Then again, I might just be an English major snob.

Of course the first step is to fall in love with his music. The instrumentals, the feelings and moods.

After i fell in love with the music i went though lots of tough shit. And i know this sounds corny but when i really took the lyrics seriously it helped me get though it. He made me realize that shit happens, but from each tragedy there is something positive to come out of it...you learn something...you grow...and you redeem yourself.

But you know, Matt has opened my eyes to a whole other world of tragedy. There millions of others who suffer more than I. I'm now so grateful for what i have and the opportunities that are right around the corner.

I would love to write him a letter about this...but i'm too much of a chicken shit!!!

Edited by lcpja

Music has always been a big part of my life. I listen to alot of music, but noone has ever come close to Matthew Good. He is an incredible, inspiring person. His lyrics aren't about stupid stuff, they actually have meaning. Listening to him reminds me of my home, Canada. It reminds me that there are people that have open minds, and that they care about the world, and whats happening about it. I like his sound.. how everything fits, sometimes on a record you catch a few off key notes, or few instruments that clash together a few times. I haven't heard that on any of matt good's album.

I haven't ever met him, or talked to him.. but reading and hearing him talk is always a pleasure, he seems like a very educated, inspiring man... which is more then what i can say about the "pop teen idols".

i'm not so much fascinated with Matthew Good the person, as many other people are on this board, as i am with his music and voice.

I just love MG simply because he makes incredibly beautiful music. He has an amazing voice and is an incredibly gifted songwriter/musician. He also brings a bonus of intelligence to his music and lyrics which is always cool.

Its a also a nice bonus for me as a fan that Matt is a pretty cool guy who goes against the norm and voiced his opinions. His Manifesto's were particularily cool back in the day. I miss those. I love politics, but his politically-charged blogs get really boring for me.

If we sent this thread to Matt (bearing he were to read it, which is not possible) do you think he'd cry? hehe, there's a lot of good fans on this board... we're all similar in many ways... I think a lot has to do with MG's influence on us all, fot the best of course... how many of us are crooks or would result to violence for meaningless reasons... or consider not helping out others in a time of need, etc..... we're the best, eh?

P.S. that deserves nf$, I'll take them in 100's and 20's only... no 10's or 5's.

hehe, At last there's nothing left to say.... short and sweet... gets the job done and is so true.. something about his voice, it's like no other, unique likes Smashing Pumpkins and such... except he's got way more talent and a whole lot more intelligence and generosity. ;)