HoboFactory

Mulholland Drive

Mulholland Dr. makes sense for the most part in the beginning, about 2/3 or so of the way through it just totally goes insane. There's lesbian love, 3-inch tall glowing old-people that live inside a paper bag owned by a very scary looking hobo who lives behind a cafe, and the characters switch around roles and lives for no apparent reason.

If you liked this, you should also see Lost Highway.

And these movies aren't as hard to understand as everyone makes them to be. A lot of the movie takes place inside a character's subconcious. And slowly the real world begins to seep into this dream world they've created. And the beginning of the movie isn't the beginning of the story. It's very well done.

More or less, yeah. There are some other parts, like the two cops in the diner, that don't really fit, but they parallel other parts of the story.

If you're looking for some detailed info, it's out there somewhere. I think the forum at imdb.com has some interesting ideas. That's if you feel like sorting through all the losers insulting each other for the most part of the IMDB forum.

It is indeed crazy. Ryan's got everything right, though.

From the first time Naomi Watts met that other woman, I thought there was a lesbian affair in the works.

I had no idea what to expect before I watched it. It was an alright movie IMO, but if you don't know anything about it before you watch it, then it can throw you a bit...

In order to fully understand the movie, one must actually drive the real Mulholland Drive in the hills of Los Angeles. You have a new respect for just how wierd things can get. It's one of the longest roads around and it spirals up and around the Hollywood hills past mega mansions and through many curves and turns on the way to the ocean.

ironically, despite much discussion, and the nagging influence of the philosophy of art suggesting that perhaps meaning is not left up to the creator of a work, it's been pretty much confirmed that there's nothing particularly metaphorical or clever about Mullholland Dr.

David Lynch was supposed to have been working on a TV miniseries or something, originally, but it got canned, so he just expanded things, throwing in whatever he felt like (i'm fairly sure that he said that in an interview). the part about the blue box? seems like a nice place to say that the movie is going from the dream world to the real world, or vice-versa, but evidently, Lynch just cooked that up on the spot, because he (essentially) though it would be cool.

while a beautiful movie (Ms. Watts doesn't hurt, at all), with excellent pacing, focused performances and direction and very tight scoring and editing, the script/storyline are just evidence that David Lynch has lost interest in communicating rationally with people through his work.

it's still well-worth a watch. if you liked this, check out Pi, directed by Darren Aronofsky. it's similarly confusing (though much more manic).