insane_child

This Makes No Sense.

why is it that canadians (no offense) are so caught up in the US presidential election? i mean... it's not like you guys are going to feel any effects from who's elected.

i do understand, however, that you don't want to pick up the daily paper and read about how the US is causing so much strife and death throughout the world... but, i don't believe that either candidate has intentions of causing anyone, including everyone, pain. it's not like canada has the right to vote. so, why struggle and worry? .. take MG for instance. i don't even need to explain that one. i know that he is doing amazing things through amnesty... but, why is he so involved in american politics?? ... i just don't get it. ..maybe he just wants to prove to ppl (including americans) that we're a bunch of assholes who are caught up in all the wrong things and by electing bush we're only going to make things worse. ...well, i'm sorry, but, kerry is no savior himself.

my thoughts are like this: the world is not getting better, nor does it intend to. we are only going to accomplish hindering it from destructing ...at MOST. no one will save the world from ending. eventually it's got to happen.

protecting and helping people is undoubtedly important... i agree.

anyway.... i am just curious about why canada wants so desperately to be involved in the US politics? ;)

We are kinda tied to the US whether we like it or not...

And even for someone who has few political concerns, yes...Canadian politics are pretty boring. Nothing ever really changes...

Edited by Sparq

That and Howard Dean is a totally cool guy.

It's the attempt at bullying that boils us. It's the supreme arrogance that makes us mad. The image of the US is, unfortunatly, a reflection on the entire Western world, and right now I don't consider that a good thing. Some day, I want to be able to travel in the Middle East and not have to fear being killed because my white skin is associated with the American "crusaders against Islam."

Still...being specifically Canadian is still generally safer than being a generic North American tourist...generally assumed to be American. Though Canada has been announced as a target by some...organizations...for our involvement in Afghanistan.

the reason canada is so into american politics is becasue whatever happens in America directly affects Canada. The USA is Canadas biggest trading partner and has economical ties so tight that its pretty much impossible not to care about each others bisness. Case and point, when Canada said no to Iraq we got hammered by the USA economicaly. Softwood lumber tarrifs actually went up dispite numourus WTO rulings favoring Canada, Mad Cow struck ONE cow in Alberta and the USA shut the border down to all canadian beef, thus crippling the market. The border is still closed today, over half a year later. Sars hit Toronto and Vancouver thus casueing the US to impose travel warnings to americans telling them to avoid canada like the plauge...(notise the play on words there ;) )

All in all 2003 was a bad year for Canada made worse by the US "punishing" us for not getting involved in Iraq.

What's happening to Iraqi Christians is just terrible.

What is happening to them?

Basiclly, just being treated like shit. Muslim extremists target churches and innocent families. Christians have trash and human waste dumped in their property. They cannot practise their religion without being targeted eventually by crazy gunmen.

The US are our neighbours. Our societies, cultures, economies etc are intertwined. What affects you affects us as well.

Also, we are bombarded with US politics on TV via the US tv stations we watch (NBC, CNN, FOX etc.), so its hard not to get interested.

Most importantly, what happens in these elections also greatly affects the world, especially in the era we live in now. Yes, Canadians do actually care what happens in the rest of the world.

(oh, and US politics beats soap-opera's ;) )

why is it that canadians (no offense) are so caught up in the US presidential election? i mean... it's not like you guys are going to feel any effects from who's elected.

i do understand, however, that you don't want to pick up the daily paper and read about how the US is causing so much strife and death throughout the world... but, i don't believe that either candidate has intentions of causing anyone, including everyone, pain. it's not like canada has the right to vote. so, why struggle and worry? .. take MG for instance. i don't even need to explain that one. i know that he is doing amazing things through amnesty... but, why is he so involved in american politics?? ... i just don't get it. ..maybe he just wants to prove to ppl (including americans) that we're a bunch of assholes who are caught up in all the wrong things and by electing bush we're only going to make things worse. ...well, i'm sorry, but, kerry is no savior himself.

my thoughts are like this: the world is not getting better, nor does it intend to. we are only going to accomplish hindering it from destructing ...at MOST. no one will save the world from ending. eventually it's got to happen.

protecting and helping people is undoubtedly important... i agree.

anyway.... i am just curious about why canada wants so desperately to be involved in the US politics? ;)

Alright. Here is how it is

Canada

32 million people

86.6% of its exporst is with the USA

60% of its imports is with the USA

Has a culture built on the back bone of the USA

Has Harboured Terrorist For the USA

Has hundreds of stars interminged with the USA culture

90% or population lives within 50km (about 35miles) from the boarder

USA

Has been bombed by terrorists

Has made said terroriest first go to canada

is so closly tied to canada that if the USA econoimy goes down so does canadas

Produces most of Canadain TV

Bascily if The USA so much as stumbles Canada falls

wow. thanks.. i really didn't ever consider any of that... and i can certainly see the reason now.

geez... how'd we get such a smart NFer?

i know it wasn't anton's doing. heh.

well it helps to be educated and to know a couple of sites. But working towards a major in political science helps

wow. thanks.. i really didn't ever consider any of that... and i can certainly see the reason now.

geez... how'd we get such a smart NFer? 

i know it wasn't anton's doing. heh.

well it helps to be educated and to know a couple of sites. But working towards a major in political science helps

cool. if i went through university again i'd probably choose Political Sci. or maybe history as my major.