MGB Video - Its Been Awhile Since I Was Ur Man

25 members have voted

1. 1. MGB Video - Its Been Awhile Since I Was Ur Man

• EXCELLENT
    • GOOD
    • SO-SO
    • BAD
    • JUST PLAIN AWFUL

I don't know if he looked "cocky" per se, but the results thus far definitely give you an idea how many people would just accept piss in the ears from Matthew Good and call it beautiful.

It didn't really have a story.

"I'm here in an old house. Maybe people did crack here. Maybe people didn't. I don't know. All I know is that I would look really good photographed in every doorway from here to there. Wait, look at this place. How did I get here? Why would I get here? I'm in the middle of nowhere! Let's sing...."

I don't know if he looked "cocky" per se, but the results thus far definitely give you an idea how many people would just accept piss in the ears from Matthew Good and call it beautiful.

"I'm here in an old house. Maybe people did crack here. Maybe people didn't. I don't know. All I know is that I would look really good photographed in every doorway from here to there. Wait, look at this place. How did I get here? Why would I get here? I'm in the middle of nowhere! Let's sing...."

That's a valid point. But I don't think the video is altogether crappy either. There are certainly many, many current videos that are piles of crap by comparison.

Well most video's don't have a purpose. They are just there to promote peoples music. Most of them don’t even have stories anyway, they are just a bunch of people dancing around, people singing or playing and singing. Or having sex and rolling around looking like a dirty whore. It’s not the best video that was made by Matt and his usual director but Matt probably doesn’t get the amount of money to make videos that he use to. It’s given to the people who make the most money for the people in the big seats. I’m sure he’d start selling more CDS if he had sex related things in his video.

I think it should be something to think about how Matt still manages to hold on while being in competition with younger people, sex, and flashy video’s. At least give him credit for that.

Well most video's don't have a purpose. They are just there to promote peoples music. Most of them don’t even have stories anyway, they are just a bunch of people dancing around, people singing or playing and singing.

I agree. To be honest, I don't really care that much about videos and half the time the stories either don't seem to fit or I just don't get them or its a bunch of chicks shaking their...parts around. I liked this one because it was simple and I really like black and white (whether it in pictures or in videos).

I second this opinion.

I know this song is not to have any political implications, (at least I thought it was about boy-girl relationships), but what's with all the desert vistas where the horizon is flashing?

Does anyone else see his little deserted town as an island in a nuclear holocaust?

I think maybe it's meant to be subliminal and further unsettle your view of this ghost town.

Or I'm unsettled.

I know this song is not to have any political implications, (at least I thought it was about boy-girl relationships), but what's with all the desert vistas where the horizon is flashing?

Does anyone else see his little deserted town as an island in a nuclear holocaust?

I think maybe it's meant to be subliminal and further unsettle your view of this ghost town.

Or I'm unsettled.

Thats a good idea. or ideas.

Edited by guitarchick

hehe, i thought it was excellent. I think MG chose to do this video because he felt the song was the best interpretation of his style nowadays. I don't think It's Been A While Since I Was Your Man would be more popular in the general public than a couple of his other songs on WLRRR. But, I admire him for going with something he feels better represents his musical style.

MG on the video:

Compared to most Canadian bands I’ve made videos that have strayed from the norm. I’m proud that, here and there, I have been able to produce a few that I thought were spectacular. Of those, I had a direct hand in writing, shooting, and editing.

Weapon, which is my favorite, I edited, conceptualized, and co-directed. X-Rated, Apparitions, Strange Days, Carmelina, I had a hand in. But to me, Weapon can’t be topped.

The last two videos I’ve done had budgets of about 40 to 50 thousand dollars. Weapon? 100 thousand. Load Me Up? 150 thousand. Most American videos cost in excess of 250,000 dollars US to make.

I have news for you - when it comes to film, money talks most of the time, especially when it comes to trying to outdo videos you’ve made for three times the cash. There comes a point when you’re just out of $50,000 dollar ideas. I reached that point when the third video for Avalanche was summarily shit canned and that record abandoned.

Did I like the last two videos? Not particularly, though the last one was very well put together by Bill and the effects are excellent. I wanted no performance in the video at all, but lost that battle altogether.

But I’ve been fighting a battle for three years that fans don’t know about. Since the break-up of the band I have been very disappointed that I have been marketed as if it were just some extension of the Matthew Good Band. The record industry is out of date when it comes to marketing strategies I believe, and is doing little to remedy the problem. Much Music and radio remain the go-to sources for selling records, ones which do little to nothing for many artists. If you fail in these mediums you’re lucky to be considered a “low” priority. I was asked to do videos to help give others the “tools” they require to sell the record. But given what I’ve done in the past, how can I do that for half the money or less? People expect more. I, myself, would rather use even 10% of that money to do something web based.

As for songs, everyone’s entitled to their opinion. Like something or dislike it, it’s your right. But I’d be careful about talking as if you know how to write songs and what a good song is. Once you’ve been doing it a decade + then we’ll talk. Nowhere in some Matthew Good handbook does it say that I’m not allowed to write songs about inter personal relationships. Nowhere in some Matthew Good handbook does it say that I can’t, as 33 year old man, reflect nostalgically on an earlier time in my life. If you’re 19 and don’t get it, too bad so sad. Being that I am Matthew Good, it stands to reason that those subjects that some consider “not very Matt” are, in fact, Matt indeed.

Anyway, hope to see some of you out at the shows. Limblifter and Auf Der Maur are great and at 25 to 39 bucks, depending on the region, it’s a steal considering many concerts are 50+ these days.

I think it'd be cool if he just got his own equipment like a really good digital camera and made his own videos off his computer. Then he just got a bunch of people to help him out with developing it on the computer. Unless that's what his director does now.

I can't imagine being handed 250,000 dollars to make a video that runs for 3 or 4 minutes. I'd like to see how he spent it and what was the most expensive part of a video.