Ravenous Yam

Guitar Related Question

Does anybody know what type of guitar Matt used in parts of at least the Calgary show (Alert Status Red).

Its a Gibson, semihollow, ES-335 style body, but with weird what-would-be f-holes (sort of diamond shaped), and with a Firebird-like headstock? I ask because i have never seen a guitar like this... ever... and it was a really cool looking guitar.

Thought I would help out with some visual aids for this guitar question. From what I have seen this year it looks as if this guitar is only used on Alert Status Red. I remember this question coming up back in June when the guitar was first seen. Can't remember which message board the question came up on, but hopefully the picture can jog someones memory.

post-2-1097957152.jpg

gursky you've a very disturbing avatar. Where did you obtain it?

I have used one of a few avatars on MG message boards, but this one always stuck. On the SomethingAwful forums a thread was posted with a link to a video which had this large hippo dancing about. In the thread people busted out various .gif animations of the hippo dancing and this one was the most disturbing/hilarious. For a while the original poster, isnoop was his name, had this hippo-slap avatar for a few weeks following tat thread. It was too good not to save and use elsewhere.

Anyway, that's the story of the avatar...sorry for the derail.

I'ts definatly a cool guitar, but I wasnever one for hollow bodies. My Fender Strat is where its at. I wonder why he stopped playing them.

I think the Gibson he has is more popular in the blues set - which seams to have started tinging his music. Perhaps that's the cause of the change?

What throws me off is the headstock. it seems to be from a gibson thunderbird with 6 on one side, and basically every other hollow body ive seen has the 3 on both sides headstock with the traditional gibson look. im starting to think its custom made.

Edited by THE MAN

What throws me off is the headstock. it seems to be from a gibson thunderbird with 6 on one side, and basically every other hollow body ive seen has the 3 on both sides headstock with the traditional gibson look. im starting to think its custom made.

I think you're right.

If I remember right,

It's an old model, from late 60s-early-70s. I believe it is someone's signiture guitar (from back then).

I was there at a soundcheck when he discussed it with his guitar tech. It does not do certain overdrives that well, which is why he basically only uses it for ASR.

Found it... finally. I am answering my own question, but i might as well put it up here for reference.

trini67.jpg

Trini Lopez Standard and Custom (Deluxe) Electric Archtops

Available: 1964 to 1971

Collectibility Rating: Standard model: D+, Deluxe model: D- (the standard model is a funky ES-335, but the full depth Deluxe model is just not desirable).

1964 Trini Lopez Standard specs:

ES-335 thinline body, 16" wide, double rounded cutaway, diamond-shaped soundholes, 2 humbucking pickups, tuneomatic bridge, trapeze tailpiece with raised diamond and model name on wooden insert, laminated beveled edge pickguard, single bound top and back, 24.75" scale, bound fingerboard with slashed diamond inlays, 6 on a side tuner configuration, decal peghead logo, cherry finish (also seen with Sparkling Burgundy or Pelham Blue metallic

finishes).

http://www.provide.net/~cfh/gibson3.html#tl

Wow, good research! How did you get the answer...? All you had was a picture and some vague information.

For those curious, there is an auction for the Trini Lopez on eBay and it's going for $1,726USD right now which ends Wednesday afternoon. You can find the link for it here.