Sign in to follow this  
marik

What Has Halloween Become? A Day For Sluts?

Thank you Eli.

Xandi, you're actually backing me in the not showering?

I'm so conflicted! I'm sitting here in boxers. I walked outside this morning like this and I was wondering why it was cold.

I've come to the conclusion that I need to shower as I spent the few of my waking hours by my fathers side at the hospital. I shall return, cleaner than before.

Yes for once. Normally I'd suggest you do for sanitation's sake.

I will not, Caeay. Nyeeah.

Fuck that's the hottest avatar you've ever had.

Cold shower it is.

I just finished watching cone heads so Xandi's Nyeeah reminded me oddly of the noises they made randomly. What a movie.

COLD SHOWERS, they do nothing for me.

Eli? What the hell?

What's the shortest book ever written? The Italian book for war heroes.

I had no idea what Anton was talking about till I refreshed.

Meh, I could take it or leave it. Yes...that's the safe answer. *shifty eyes*

I'm Italian.

I take offense to that.

Okay, so I'm lying through my teeth. Your tears are all the pay I'll ever need.

lol, you see what happens to these threads when I don't keep the conflict alive..... I should be payed to start arguments... or else we resort to this shiat.... .lol.... I'm just playing... I hear all your points and they are all somewhat valid...enough arguing, more pathetic insanity (via Crusader)

Take it away Zod man.

Eli? What the hell?

That seems to be the general response when people find out I'm present.

My insanity isn't pathetic. It's far superior.

I used to speak italian. I still know some naughty words.

But back on topic, I feel there's nothing wrong with dressing risque.

I figure there's no point in being overly concerned about the way other people dress. You're not them, so you're not going to get anywhere arguing even if you do have a problem with what they're doing. Worry about your own appearance and let others do the same for themselves. If you like to dress risque, (I love that word btw, it rolls of the tongue), then do so. If not, then suck it up.

Edited by eeleye

but realize that you WILL always be judged by your dress. that cannot change. so rather than ignore that fact and act like it does not exist- you must deal with it. and act accordingly if you want to be able to function in our world.

For example- you WILL also be judged on your use of language. if you constantly use the word, "fuckin" and "bitches' etc, you will suffer the consequences by the way you are judged (like not getting most jobs) and so you act accordingly to that. even if it is in your nature to sat "fuck" all the time, you bite your tounge and refrain. so what i'm getting at is this : realize that you will be disrespected and frowned upon if you dress that way. so why fight to dress that way? there is no point, the only thing it does is make others feel like they have to dress that way to compete.

Realize that this is how the world works. you are native if you think you can just dress like a slut to feel good about yourself, and it will not affect/bother other people. the same way with swearing all the time. why don't people fight for the right to swear and be accepted? cuz they realize that's way it is.

i am sick and fucking tired of seeing girls dress up for halloween. i don't mean little girls. i mean the ones that are of age (18+) I thought the point of costumes was to look scary, not slutty. but basically they use this day as an excuse to dress 10 times sluttier than they can normally get away with, just because its accepted on this day. why do you NEVER see a girl dressed up as a goblin, or ghost, or have blood or scars on their face? it's always a sexy cop, nurse, princess with cleavage, etc. the last 2 days that's ALL i've seen. not one female has dressed up for halloween without a 'sexy' costume. it's distgusting and makes me pissed off and now i can't enjoy halloween.

there's no way in hell i'm gonna bitch about that

"If you think you can just dress like a SLUT to feel good about yourself..."

slut; n.

A woman considered sexually promiscuous.

A woman prostitute.

It's your use of the word slut more than anything that makes you ignorant. To label anyone dressing up sexily as a promiscuous person, or a prostitute, shows lack of understanding of what you say. Think about what things mean before labelling people under a certain word. I doubt anyone who dresses revealingly walks around telling people, when asked, that they're being a "slut" for Halloween, so it would be best to refrain from using the term so loosely. I myself was taking more a "live and let live" approach to dressing risque or revealing on Halloween. After all, Halloween over the years has turned to, contrary to what some believe, a time to dress up. Not a time to dress up SCARILY. Scary costumes still abound in great numbers, but a scary costume is no longer the only norm or allowable option. So, to say you WILL be judged, or the be the one judging someone for that matter, for dressing risque, is ignorant.

I think there are three conflicting issues going on here:

1) why has the act of dressing up for halloween become the act of dressing in a more risque manner than usual.

2) is the act of dressing in a particularly risque manner appropriate

3) and is the response to this form of dressing reasonable.

I am a 10-pin bowling coach. (I'll wait while you finish laughing...) One of the girls who bowls tends to dress in a way that is particularly revealing. She is only 14. As a young man aged 20, I find it very uncomfortable to coach her. In order to coach effectively I must watch a persons foot movement, arm movement, shoulder movement, and hip movement. I am also acutely aware that if I can see her thong sticking out of her pants, then her mother whom is 2 feet away from me can also, and therefor knows that I can see it.

The relation her is that as a man I feel that looking at a girl who has chosen to dress risque makes me guilty of objectifying that girl. I don't objectify women, and I don't believe it is right to. My concern is that often women dress in this risque fashion and then become annoyed that they are being objectified (even if they are not). So if the objectification is implicit in the dress, then how can I not be guilty of it. Furthermore, if you don't want to be objectified (and I would prefer you not to be) then why would you dress in a way that implicitly objectifies you.

The have been a number of post that state that the girls in risque clothing are the best part. Doesn't this just prove that they draw objectification from otherwise nice people.

In reference to the slut statement.

From Web WordNet:

The noun "slut" has 2 senses in WordNet.

1. slattern, slut, slovenly woman, trollop -- (a dirty untidy woman)

2. adulteress, fornicatress, hussy, jade, loose woman, slut, strumpet, trollop -- (a woman adulterer)

----

The adjective "risque" has 1 sense in WordNet.

1. blue, gamy, gamey, juicy, naughty, racy, risque, spicy -- (suggestive of sexual impropriety; "a blue movie"; "blue jokes"; "he skips asterisks and gives you the gamy details"; "a juicy scandal"; "a naughty wink"; "naughty words"; "racy anecdotes"; "a risque story"; "spicy gossip")

The word slut is used by implication: A girl who dresses risque is implying sexual impropriety. Then by extension we associate her with being a slut; or having the same properties as a slut.

Peace

I don't think it's objectification to look at girl that wears revealing clothes. It's out there to see, so people look, that's just how it works. When one sees something physically attracive, they look, there's not much more to it. I'm quite sure the girls that wear revleaing clothes are first off well aware of the attention that attire would draw, and knowing that, they apparently do not object to that attention if they dress in that way. That is I'm reasonably sure their attitude isn't "I'm gonna show as much as I can and hope nobody will look or see when I go out in public."